Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:16   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
Kandisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Noida
Posts: 1,068
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Manas National Park & Tiger Reserve, Assam

Thoroughly enjoyed your travelogue, thanks a lot for sharing here. The joy of driving one's own 4x4 in the jungle is one hell of an experience and your Endy does surely look impressive in this kind of a setting. And Tiger or no tiger, it is the feeling of the jungle which matters the most for me and your TL surely lives upto that.
Btw, what is the present 'political' condition (if i may use the word) in the Bodo land area, at least for the tourists? Is it safe enough for outstation tourists also?
Also, apart from the national park, is there any other 'lesser-known' places in the vicinity worth visiting?
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 12:17   #47
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 424
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Manas National Park & Tiger Reserve, Assam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed your travelogue, thanks a lot for sharing here. The joy of driving one's own 4x4 in the jungle is one hell of an experience and your Endy does surely look impressive in this kind of a setting. And Tiger or no tiger, it is the feeling of the jungle which matters the most for me and your TL surely lives upto that.
Btw, what is the present 'political' condition (if i may use the word) in the Bodo land area, at least for the tourists? Is it safe enough for outstation tourists also?
Also, apart from the national park, is there any other 'lesser-known' places in the vicinity worth visiting?
Thanks. The present political condition is fine. No unrests recently. It is safe to go as of now especially this part of the park. Only the are towards Kokrajhar is a little risky esp if you are from out of state. I dont see a problem as this area is said to be quite normal. Apart from this you can visit Bhutan, but you will need a permit for the same

Other than MAnas there is Pobitora National Park as well which has over exploded with Rhinos and close to Guwahati as well.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:15   #48
BHPian
 
tortoiseNhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 527
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Manas National Park & Tiger Reserve, Assam

Very enjoyable travelogue indeed, Rishi. Way back in December 1982 I had my first visit to Manas, for a picnic on a Sunday. The class IX annual exams had begun and the next day was the Math exam. I still vividly remember every detail of that picnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
We then took a small illegal ride into Bhutan. The scenery of the road (very prone to landslides) along the river was breathtaking. Although the road is in a very bad condition and is used regularly. At places it looked like the road would slide off the side of the hill and into the river at any point. Some more stunning views that MNP and the river Manas has to offer…
That time we had also crossed over to Bhutan, but we were taken to that side by a Bhutanese boat. Then the river could not have been crossed by a Jeep/SUV as far as I can remember. The Bhutan side had a rest house of their Royal family, where they would spend some time in the month of Magh (Jan-Feb), we were told.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:39   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
Fauji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Manas National Park & Tiger Reserve, Assam

Good going Sarmarishi. One of the big regrets i have while serving in Army is not to have backpacked and visited these places when i was posted in Assam.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 11:16   #50
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 424
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Manas National Park & Tiger Reserve, Assam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Good going Sarmarishi. One of the big regrets i have while serving in Army is not to have backpacked and visited these places when i was posted in Assam.
Thanks. You can always do it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
That time we had also crossed over to Bhutan, but we were taken to that side by a Bhutanese boat. Then the river could not have been crossed by a Jeep/SUV as far as I can remember. The Bhutan side had a rest house of their Royal family, where they would spend some time in the month of Magh (Jan-Feb), we were told.
You cannot cross the river even now. The road just skirts the river all along. The road is not on the rest house side. You still have to take a boat to get to the Rest House on the Bhutan side.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 10:28   #51
Joy
BHPian
 
Joy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 305
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Manas National Park & Tiger Reserve, Assam

Great travelogue and photos. Visited kaziranga many times but never Manas. Agreed with your view point that forest experience is totally different irrespective of sighting.

@sarmarishi: Is the park open throughout the year? If not, please mention the season.

Thanks once again for bringing this lovely travelogue.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 10:40   #52
BHPian
 
sarmarishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 424
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Manas National Park & Tiger Reserve, Assam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Great travelogue and photos. Visited kaziranga many times but never Manas. Agreed with your view point that forest experience is totally different irrespective of sighting.

@sarmarishi: Is the park open throughout the year? If not, please mention the season.

Thanks once again for bringing this lovely travelogue.
Glad you liked it. The park is not open throughout the year. The season is from October to April if I am not wrong. And Feb-Mar is the best time to visit as per the guide.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dudhwa Tiger Reserve & National Park gd1418 Route / Travel Queries 50 25th April 2016 23:25
In search of the Legendary Swamp Tiger - Sundarbans Tiger Reserve Subrat Seet Travelogues 21 27th June 2015 22:47
Photo-Tour: Kaziranga National Park & Hoollongapar Gibbon Sanctuary (Assam) v&v Travelogues 26 9th June 2014 17:15
A Nikon D5000 in the land of the tiger - Kanha National Park visit. W.A.G.7 Travelogues 36 13th November 2011 21:36
Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2 v&v Travelogues 49 11th April 2011 14:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks