Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th April 2011, 19:28   #46
BHPian

Default Re: “Sasan Gir” – The Last Home to Asiatic Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Very interesting report sir. And a tough decision between a rare owl and another rare chap-the leopard. Lucky you got wonderful snaps of both
Thank you very much.

Oh yeah it was tough and i was very excited and nervous as it was my first safari with full gear (DSLR + Telephoto). I am happy I was able to capture them and them came good
TheBeastFieast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 09:35   #47
BHPian

Default Re: “Sasan Gir” – The Last Home to Asiatic Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Quite right, pjay. This bird is called the bird of death in South Kerala. The call is similar to a distress scream of a lady. In Malabar, another bird(this is also an owl) is called the Kalan Kozhi - am yet to find out the English name of that. Called Neduvulan in Malabar
Quite possible. I am from central Malabar area and there we call this bird Kuttichoolan (with sharp 't', 'kutti' as in stub not as in child. The second part choolan could have come from the word choolam (whistle). But the myth holds good there too.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote