Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd April 2011, 22:07   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Trailing Tribals and Tigers - Chattisgarh & Kanha Diaries

The Jungle Ride begins

Tring, Tring.

The telephone bell rang. As I searched for the hand set in darkness of the room, the voice from the other side said “Wake up call sir, bed tea is on the way”. I looked at the watch. It showed 4.30 in the morning. Wow, that was a great service. Yes, Kaptan sigh had told us on the previous day to be ready by 5.15 in the morning to proceed to Kisli gate. He had also advised to be an early bird so that we could get inside the park quickly.

We woke up, freshened and were raring to go. When we started from Bangalore, we did not pack any woollens as it was March and I thought it will be pretty warm in Madhya Pradesh. Chattisgarh was very pleasant. How wrong I was now! The nights in the Kanha even in March were chilly. As we waited in the reception lounge for our jeep to show up, we were hoping that the chill will be manageable somehow.

The Gypsy arrived and we saw blankets on the seat. Our driven Rahim was wearing a FAUJI jacket. We were chivalrous as we sat in the jeep and kept the blanket on our lap. The gypsy must have covered a km or so, chill air was hitting us hard and we all covered with blankets in no time! It can get really cold in the jungle. We had felt that in Kaziranga in 2008 winter. Then, we had prepared ourselves and carried woollens. That was in winter. We never thought it will be cold in summer in Madhya Pradesh as well. Thanks to good old blankest, we were warm now.

Keeping warm - All three in blankets

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-33.jpg

We were second in the queue at Kisli gate. Kanha must be the one of the best organised National parks in the country. Having seen utter chaos in Kaziranga jeep safari complex, this was a pleasant experience. Rahim registered his vehicle number and we were allotted a naturalist – Chota Ram - by the forest department. It is good to see that all naturalists in the park are tribals – mostly gonds – of the area and they are trained by forest department. The gates of the park open at 6.15 AM. The countdown began and excitement mounting, the gates opened on time and all the jeeps started moving slowly into the park. The first few KMs inside the park is inhabited with MPTDC lodging and forest officials houses etc.

Waiting for the excitement to begin!

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-37.jpg

Jungle ride begins - Moving into the park

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-254.jpg

The journey to sight the big cat had begun! We were all excited and binoculars were out. I had read somewhere that excitement of any wild life adventure lies in anticipation of d spotting the animals than actually seeing them. How true it was to be. Another advice given by my wild life veteran friends was not to focus only on tiger and miss out other animals and birds in the park. I was told that Kanha is so rich in wild life; tiger is like jewel in the crown.

The safari is well organised and takes two hours of drive through forest before they bring the visitors to the main complex for breakfast. Chota Ram and Rahim were excited too. One eye of Rahim was on the road and other on the side to see any pug marks! The guy was so good that he could easily say how long ago the tiger was in that spot by looking at the pug mark

As we moved on, Chota ram was continuously pointing out at something or the other. Jungle fowls, Sambar deer, Barasinghas, bison, peacocks were there everywhere. We also saw many birds but could not capture in our camera.

What is Langur saying to these deer?

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-265.jpg

Jungle me more dekha!

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-52.jpg

Herd of Barasinghas (females and small ones) together

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-51.jpg

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-50.jpg

This is my territory - Bisons at large

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-43.jpg

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-41.jpg

The night watchman - Spotted owl

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-58.jpg

As we moved towards Sharavn Tal, Chota ram asked Rahim to stop the Gypsy. He had seen the fresh pug marks on the road and was sensing that the cat should be close by. Excitement mounted as we heard the roar from a distance. Rahim switched off the engine and we waited for the Sher khan to show up. Our wait went in vain as the mighty beast thought otherwise. We started moving again and went to the highest spot in the park to get a panoramic view of the park.

As we came back to the main complex, Chota ram asked us to hurry up with breakfast. The forest guys had spotted a tiger which had finished a kill and we had to hurry to see on an elephant.

We ate the excellent packed breakfasts prepared by Charles in a jiffy and got into the Gypsy.

Wow, we were about to see the tiger in wild! Our excitement was hitting the roof now!

Next Stop - Sher Khan gives darshan!

Note - Cooolcat in his travelogue on Kanha has captured amazing pictures of birds and animals. Now GD is there in Kanha alongwith Doc capturing some amazing moments as well

Last edited by Fauji : 22nd April 2011 at 22:09.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2011, 23:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
The erotica pics are :-) :-P !

I must say this is an amazing route and amazing trip thus far. It is hard work writing and sharing pics with us.

Thanks for that ....please keepthe wheels rolling !
Nandu sir, I had read about Bhoramdeo but was not sure how it would turn out to be. It is a gem. Both temples have sculptures of exquisite beauty. Moreover the setting is serene. We were there on a weekday and there was hardly any soul around which made the whole atmosphere special. Thanks for your comments. It will be our pleasure to share these experiences.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:54   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
The Jungle Ride begins

The journey to sight the big cat had begun! We were all excited and binoculars were out. I had read somewhere that excitement of any wild life adventure lies in anticipation of d spotting the animals than actually seeing them. How true it was to be. Another advice given by my wild life veteran friends was not to focus only on tiger and miss out other animals and birds in the park. I was told that Kanha is so rich in wild life; tiger is like jewel in the crown.
So much true, I can feel the excitement building up while reading through these lines and adding to it is the awesome photography. From the snaps it seems the weather was good or should I say pleasant

Cheers !!!
Milestone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 17:00   #79
BHPian

Sir,
Been waiting since quite some time for updates of your kanha trip. Lovely pictures, waiting eagerly for the rest.
Regards
Coooolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 12:36   #80
BHPian

Superb Kanha. Nice captures Sir. Keep them coming.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 18:58   #81
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha

And what happened after this? Am I missing something here? Wonderful start for a thread, please continue sir!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 09:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
And what happened after this? Am I missing something here? Wonderful start for a thread, please continue sir!
Hi Anil,

I changed the Subject line and you can see the next parts as "Trailing Tribals and Tigers - Chattisgarh and Kanha diaries" thread. Do let me know your feedback.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...a-diaries.html
Old 29th April 2011, 13:08   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
So much true, I can feel the excitement building up while reading through these lines and adding to it is the awesome photography. From the snaps it seems the weather was good or should I say pleasant

Cheers !!!
You are absolutely correct. It is the anticipation which makes wild life trips so sexciting. The weather was good but was very cold in the morning. We had to cover with blankets till 8 AM. In the afternoon, it was very hot. Typical of Central India during this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Sir,
Been waiting since quite some time for updates of your kanha trip. Lovely pictures, waiting eagerly for the rest.
Regards
I was travelling and did not have time. Apologies. Will post the next instalment today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Superb Kanha. Nice captures Sir. Keep them coming.
Thank Subrat. But the camera does not do justice. An SLR with zoom is required. This what we realised now.
Old 29th April 2011, 15:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

My name is Khan, Sher Khan!

Chota ram had already purchased the elephant ride tickets which costs Rs 300 per head. In Kanha, they have a good system of informing any tiger sighting by forest guards over radio to control room who in turn will decide whether tourists can be taken to the spot on elephant to see the big cat. The guards had spotted a tiger at a distance of four KMs from main complex and approachable on elephant. We were to watch the cat atop an elephant.

Spotting wildlife on elephant is possibly the best way of seeing them. I remember the elephant safari we took on a lovely misty morning in winter of 2008 in Kaziranga which was memorable. We were now excited as we were to see a tiger in wild which is rare as they are loners. We got on top of the elephant with help of a ladder and our small trek in the forest began.

On top of the elephant - All three of us
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-282.jpg

Our mahout whispered and asked us to look at the spot where the tiger was lying down. Possibly having a siesta after a good meal! This was the first glimpse of the big cat. We were awestruck at sighting the tiger in wild. Visits to Karnataka national parks had not resulted in sighting of tiger and here we were seeing it in flesh and blood!

The first glimpse of Sher Khan!
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-268.jpg

The elephant drew closer and we could see it more clearly now. It was really a big one. The view through binoculars gave us a clear picture of how big the cat is.

His Highness Sher Khan, the lord of Kanha
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-270.jpg
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-271.jpg

We stood for some time watching him. He sensed someone was disturbing his siesta and was growling and turning.

Someone is disturbing my Siesta
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-273.jpg

Suddenly, he sensed something amiss and his ears straightened up. He now sat up to see what was happening around. After few minutes again went back to his rolling turning movements! It was good fun to watch the tiger from such close range and doing all these antics.

Who's out there?
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-276.jpg

Posing for camera
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-278.jpg
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-279.jpg

We returned back to gypsy and made way for others to hop on to the elephant. The main complex of Kanha is possibly of the best designed and managed anywhere in the country. Clean washrooms, good place to eat and excellent museums gave a clear sign that someone had taken pains to ensure the place is done well. The museum is excellent and gives lot of information on wild life in not only Kanha but elsewhere in the country as well.

We were now coming to the end of our morning safari and started driving back. We bid adieu to Chota Ram and Rahim was still optimistic that we can spot another tigre on the way back!! This is what makes wild life trips exciting. You become an eternal optimist.

Though we did not spot any tiger, we were compensated by this big wild dog that was playing in the water hole. It was really huge – the picture does not do justice. The guy took bath and vanished into the jungle. As we exited the gates of Kisli, we were still talking about our tiger sighting and the good time we spent in the jungle.

The big wild dog
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-266.jpg
Attachment 537336
Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-2671.jpg

We were back again in the afternoon for another safari after lunch. But this was a bit disappointing as we were not lucky like in the morning. We did see the usual bison and deer but not Sher Khan. It was pretty hot in the afternoon and since it had rained few days back, it was possible that animals had taken shelters in the cooler surroundings. My only regret of the trip to Kanha was not to spot the Male Barasinghas which I understand is a beautiful animal.

As we spent the evening on the banks Banjara river, it was also getting boring to drive back after such a wonderful week of exploration and fun. But, you never know what is in store when you travel. That was what happened the next day!

Next post - Driving through Golden hues of Madhya Pradesh
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:40   #85
Senior - BHPian

Driving through golden Hues of Madhya Pradesh

We planned to leave at 5 in the morning. It was going to be a long drive as we were to break in Hyderabad. Charles had promised us good packed breakfast and we were not taking any chances. Alu Parota, boiled eggs, pickles and fruit juice was the menu. (Did I miss my army packed breakfast!!)

We woke up in time and were ready to leave at 5.15. Bid good bye to the excellent staff in Wild Chalet and hit the road. Driving early morning in darkness on the road which goes through part of Kanha kindled us hopes of seeing some animals. We were expecting but were disappointed. The road from Kisli to Seoni was excellent. We crossed Nainpur and must have driven 15 KMs when my wife received a call from the team at Wild Chalet. They said that they found my Blackberry in the resort and asked us to pick it up. We had driven close to 60 KMs and had to drive back again. There was no option. Cursing myself, i grudgingly did a U turn and started to go back. All the planning of reaching Hyderabad early went down the drain. Thankfully, being early morning it was easier to drive.

As they say, there is a always a light at the end of the tunnel. Going back had its advantages as we were now to drive though most enchanting landscapes in central India which we did not notice in darkness. The road after Chiradongri and beyond for 50 KMs has Wheat fields on either side. The crop was ready for harvest and the landscape looked like a golden carpet. To top it all, being early morning, the dews were adorning the tips of wheat and sparkling in the early morning sunlight!. The sun had just come out and was in nascent glow.

The Sun in its nascent glow

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-2891.jpg

The Golden Hues of Central India

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-2901.jpg

We opened the windows and were inhaling the fresh wheat filled air! The criss-crossing of narrow gauge railway crossings was romantic. It was such a delightful drive and reminded me of driving early February through the yellow mustard fields in Haryana. Unfortunately we did not see any train. I stopped at one of the railway crossings and asked the gang man which route it was and he said it is between Nagpur and Jabalpur. Wow, this must be another fascinating train journeys especially in winter as it possibly goes through Vindhyas and Satpura.

After Seoni, we hit NH 7. The stretch between Seoni to Nagpur is not that great. It has some potholes and rough patches. It was only when we crossed the border I noticed the name board of “Pench Tiger reserve”. It is a pity we did not include it in itinerary as we could not get more days of leave. It will wait for another day. The drive from the outskirts of Kamptee till Nagpur was painful. Heavy late morning traffic and narrow road slowed us down. My experience of driving on this road is described in detail in another thread below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...pur-route.html

It was 9 PM when we reached Hyderabad. Went to my friend Venu’s house and we had decided where to have dinner. When in Hyderabad, it had to be “Paradise” and we had our fill of Egg Biryani whereas Ravi was gorging on the Chicken. I don’t have to write on “Paradise Biryani”. Isn’t it?

As we went to sleep we had another unfulfilled agenda in Hyderabad – Pulla Reddy Sweets. That had to wait till next morning.

Next post – Classic road, Silk Saris and Sunsets amidst the hillocks.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

A Silky smooth road, Silk saris and Sun sets

We got up leisurely. We had breakfast date with Venu in Taj Mahal hotel. Taj, I understand is one of iconic south Indian restaurants in Hyderabad. We were there at 9 AM and the good South Indian breakfast of idlis, vadas, Pongal and Masaley Dose – incidentally this icon of Hyderabad is run by folks from Udupi – was as good as you get in best restaurants in Bangalore. Our next stop was Pulla Reddy sweets. We spotted the sweet shop – near to Walden book store and Ravi and Brinda went to buy the stuff. After half an hour of wait, i see them two struggling to carry the huge packets!! They had packed for everyone at home! I couldn’t wait to open the packets. Pootha Rekhalu, a thin wafer like sweet was the best. We are happy to see that Pulla reddy has opened in Jayanagar now.

Driving through Hyderabad was as crazy in Bangalore or possibly worse. The Express way to airport led us to NH 7 and from then onwards it was a pleasure. I had read BHPians eulogising this road and I have no doubt that this should be one of the silky smooth roads in the country. This is better than NH 5 as there is hardly any traffic once you leave Hyderabad behind. When we were about to reach Kurnool, I saw the signage of Gadwal. As soon as I read out the name, the order came from wifey – turn right! We were on the way to Gadwal.

The town of Gadwal – made famous now by the super hit Telugu movie “Arundhati” – is famous for beautiful “Gadwal silk saris” a unique combination of silk and cotton. Unlike other silk saris, a Gadwal sari will have main sari in fine handloom cotton with silk and zari border and pallu. It looks very elegant. Emptying our wallets, we headed back to highway.

I love this stretch of road between Kurnool till Chikkaballapur. This is heart of Rayalseema and the landscape is dotted with small hillocks which looks beautiful specailly after rains. The region has some of the finest forts of Andhra Pradesh – Gooty and Penukonda. As we were nearing Gooty, the hillock fort was looking stunning.

Gooty fort from a distance

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-67.jpg

Every time I pass through Gooty, I think of climbing the fort. Possibly, we may have to plan a separate trip to Rayalseema in winter for that. We crossed Pennar River near Kallur and were fascinated by this gem of a fort in the middle of the river!

An unknown fort in the middle of Pennar

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-63.jpg

The only issue I have with this road is lack of eating places. We did not want to go into towns and were searching for a good place to eat. Finally we got into Ghar dhabha after Anantapur. We were sceptical but were pleasantly surprised at the quality of food served. It was now close to four in the afternoon when we hit the highway.

If you are driving between NH 5, please make it point to be around Penukonda area during sunset. You will possibly see some of the finest sunsets between the hills. Since the topography is plain land with hills strewn around, you can enjoy sun going down majestically in the horizon.

Beautiful Sunset amidst hills

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-68.jpg

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-70.jpg

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-71.jpg

When we started our road trip of Chattisgarh and Kanha, it was early in the morning when the sun was rising in the hills of Tirumala. After an event journey of exploration and fun, we were returning back following the sun setting in distant horizon. An eventful road trip of ten days took us through many states, different cultures, amazing and friendly people, great locales and of course the lovely cuisine. As we entered the airport road in Bangalore, there was deafening silence in the car. We were all disappointed that it all ended. Possibly, all good things should come to an end.

One of the reasons for us to make this trip – apart from tribals and tigers – was the Bastar’s amazing handicrafts. We packed a load of them. More details on this in next post.

Next post – Amazing handicrafts of Bastar
Old 13th May 2011, 20:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

Handicrafts of Bastar

One of the reasons for us to do this trip was to explore the rich handicrafts of Bastar and Chattisgarh. Bastar is famous for Bell metal sculptures, Terracota figures, woodden sculptures, wrought iron works and Tumba.

Bell metal or Dhokra

Bastars's trademark craft is bell metal or Dhokra. Made out of 80% copper and 20% tin, dhokra - meaning old - is as old as civilisation itself. Dhokra craftmen live in Kondagaon and Jagdalpur areas. It is an intricate craftmanship which involves making a mould of clay on which wax is applied first. Then the mould is immersed in molten alloy. The wax melts and comes out leaving the artefact intact which is then chiselled, polished and refined into beautiful figurines. Here are the Dhokra figurines we got from Bastar

The larger idol is Rudra shiva a tribal god and the small one on top is possibly Saraswathi.

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-dsc03198.jpg

The beautiful jug, a tribal sculpture in Dhokra and a Wrought Iron boat

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-dsc03290.jpg

Terracota

The soil of Indravathi river lends sheen to the terracota handicrafts of the state. The way Vishnupur in West Bengal is famous for Bankura Horse, Bastar is famous for its Edka Elephant. It is too elegant. We could not get these terracota elephants for abvious reason - it would have broken to pieces. You can get them in Saathi NGO in Kondagaon.

Iron craft

This is another elegant art work from Bastar. Wrought iron works depicting different facets of village life is crafted with experienced hands. These make excellent partitions, wall hangings etc. The pair of wall hangings below was bought by us in Kondagaon.

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-dsc03288.jpg

Wood Carving

Though bastar is famous for wood carving we were disppointed not to see much. Finally when we were in Kondagaon, we saw this beautiful figurine and we just grabbed it. The best place to buy these items are in weekly haats. Take a look at this one displayed in our home.

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-dsc03196.jpg

Tumba

Tumba art is carving on dry gourd. Lauki (Sore kayi in Kannada) is dried and hollowed on which etchings are made with hot knife. Here is an example at our home. These can be used as elegant light shades as well.

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-dsc03197.jpg

Masks

Yes. Where there are tribals, there should be masks! The day we landed we were in search of these but were dissappointed as we could not see any in government emporiums as well as private shops. Finally, when we were in Kondagaon, i happened to see this big mask stoved in a corner. I just grabbed it and asked the price. The shop keeper was not willing to sell and i had to cajole to part this beauty. Incidentlly we collect masks from different parts of the world and have more than hundred at present. Here is the beauty - large mask with lizards - and the "Mask" wall at our home.

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-dsc03193.jpg

Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha-dsc03291.jpg

So when we started back from Chattisgarh, Scorpio was full of these stuff which generally happens wherever we go!

Next post - Vital statistics of the trip

Last edited by Fauji : 13th May 2011 at 20:18.
Old 19th May 2011, 20:23   #88
Senior - BHPian

Vital Statistics

The planning for this trip was done with an intention of doing it leisurely without hurrying up. I will provide day wise details of the trip which may help others to plan.

Day 1

Start point - Bangalore Start Time - 5.30 AM
End point - Vizag Arrival Time - 9 PM
Distance - 1007 KMs.
Place of stay - ITC (had to go in for this as this stay was unplanned and all hotels in vizag were booked due to celebrity 20:20 match)
Tariff - 6K per night
Comments - We had initially planned to stay in Vijayawada. As we reached Vijayawada by 2.30 PM, we thought of stretching to Vizag as road was fabulous.
Route - Bangalore - Chittoor - Tirupati - Srikalahasti - Nayudupeta - Nellore - Vijayawada - Rajamaundry - Vizag.

Day 2

Start point - Vizag Start time - 9.30 AM
End point - Jagdalpur Arrival time - 3 PM
Distance - 310 KMs
Place of stay - Bastar Jungle resort
Tariff - Rs 3.5K
Comments - This was a leisurely drive enjoying the valleys of Orissa and Chattisgarh.
Route - Vizag - Vizianagaram - Salur - Koraput - Jeypore - Jagdalpur all through on NH 43

(The experience of first two days is captured in another thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...arh-kanha.html (Meanders in Madhya Bharat – Chattisgarh & Kanha) )

Day 3

Local sight seeing. roads in Chattisgarh are one of the best in the country. Overall KMs done around 200.

Place of Stay - Bastar Jungle resort

Day 4

Start point - Jagdalpur Start time - 9 AM
End point - Chhuikhadan Arrival time - 6 PM
Distance - 340 KMs
Stay - Chhuikhadan palace
Tariff - Rs 4.5 K
Comments - Time taken was more as we stopped at Kondagoan for buying handicrafts. The hotel is still under renovation and not value for money as of now.
Route - Jagdalpur - Kondagaon - Kanker - Balod - Lohara - Rajnand gaon - Chhuikhadan

Day 5

Start point - Chhuikhadan Start time - 8.30 AM
End point - Kisli, Kanha Arrival time - 3 PM
Stay - Wild chalet resort
Tariff - Rs 6 K
Comments - Wild Chalet is an excellent value for money. Good rooms, excellent people, very good food.
Route - Chhuikhadan - Kanwardha - Bhoramdeo - Chilpi - Mukki - Kisli. If one is coming to Kanha from Chattisgarh side, it is recommended to stay in Mukki as you will save close to 60 KMs of travel. If you are coming from Jabalpur then Kisli should be the choice.

Day 6
Safaris in Kanha

Day 7

Start point - Kisli, kanha Start time - 5.30 AM
End point - Hyderabad Arrival time - 9 PM
Distance - 751 KMs
Stay - Army officers Mess
Tariff - Negligible
Comments - It is advisable to leave Kanha early as the road conditions on NH 7 is bad at many places.
Route - Kisli (Kanha) - nainpur - Seoni - Nagpur - Adilabad - Hyderabad

Day 8

Start point - Hyderabad Start time - 1 PM
End point - Bangalore Arrival time - 8.30 PM
Distance - 569 KMs
Route - Hyderabad - Kurnool - Ananatapur - Chikkaballapur - Bangalore

Other travel tips

a) I always believe in booking hotels in advance. We had to suffer in Vizag.
b) Bangalore - Vizag can be comfortably done in a day as NH 5 is excellent.
c) No highway restuarants on NH 5. Have to enter town if you want to eat.
d) We always carry "Ice box" filled with fruit juice and water in or car. Specially needed as it is hot throught out after Kolar.
e) Carry a good pair of sneakers and binoculars.
f) When you make hotel booking confrim whether they will accept debit/credit cards.
g) Leave early from Hyderabad to beat city traffic.
h) Carry wollens if you are planning Kanha in March and April
i) If you are a foodie and looking for gourmet experience, you will be dissapointed. Only in Vijayawada and Hyderabad we were able to savour excellent local cuisine. Chattisgarh is disppointing and same was Kanha as for as local cuisnes are concerned.
j) Carry an extra bag if you are fond of buying handicrafts in Bastar. We did.
k) Avoid going to Naxal infested areas. Ask locals for guidance.

Final Comment - Comfortably doable trip from Bangalore. Recommeded that one can provide for additional two days to cover Pench as one would be driving past this place.

Special thanks to HV Kumar who provided valuable inpputs in route planning.
Old 14th June 2011, 21:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Chattisgarh looks lovely after rains. The region has wide valleys which enhance the beauty. If some one is planning a trip, end aug or early sept is ideal time. We could not cover north Chattisgarh which is unexplored and has lovely hill stations and monuments. If one is planning a road trip from South India it makes immense sense to cover Pench also in the Itenarary as one will drive past it on the way.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:32   #90
BHPian

Wow. Superb one Sir. Wildlife of kanha is beautiful. Also liked the beautiful handicrafts of Bastar. Something new, thanks for sharing.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote