Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th March 2011, 12:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
Best thing to do is take NOTHING.

Surprisingly people aged 70 and above dont suffer so much as younger folks from HAMS syndrome.
Agree with both the points above. Its better not to take any tablets and get acclimatised by doing a gradual ascent.

Also we had gone as a group of around 30 odd with a mix of senior citizens and young folks. And people above 60 were not affected by it and couple of guys in their mid 30's vomitted thier way from Sarchu to Leh. This has been observed by my MIL in every trip. She has been doing it for 7 years now.

Captain i am inspired to write my TL of Ladakh after reading this. If nothing else it would improve my writing skills
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 13:13   #62
BHPian

Default re: Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09

LEH TO PANG

With my riding partner up in the air, I aborted Nubra and Pangong, loaded my bike and rode off on the Manali road. In a way riding alone was nice too, Medinis luggage gone, light bike, no pillion easy ride.

I was DROP DEAD WRONG!

There were plenty of water crossings. Glaciers were melting on mountain tops onto the roads. Raging rivers changed courses across the road just like that! Crazy !!

I figured I would truck the bike and me to Pang and avoid this break back mountain ride.

On the other hand I decided to cross all the rivers, water bodies till the Avenger drowned and the engine flamed out.

One by one I crossed the water thing. Once the engine got submerged, with my legs high up in the air, yet NOTHING HAPPENED!

I was crossing these water bodies in first gear and jeez....the bike held !!!

I reached Tangalangala and met a few Bullet riders from Banglore. We exchanged notes and they told me there are worse water crossing on way to Sarchu than what I had encountered.

They asked me "You got gum boots?" I said NO. They asked me you got spanners and plastics to protect your engine, carb? ? I said no. They asked can you take care of flooded with water carburretor? I said NO. They asked You got foot pump and puncture repair kit?I said NO, no no....One Bangy rider prayed for me in Kannada language and they wished me good luck, take care, ride safe and rode off to Leh!

The Bangy Bullet Riders

Name:  Banglore Riders.jpg
Views: 2316
Size:  159.3 KB

TANGALANGALA: I was more dead than alive

Name:  TAGLANGLA FOTO.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  150.5 KB

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 24th March 2011 at 13:20.
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 13:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

I presume by MIL you mean The MIL ( m-in-law ). And for 7 years Leh? Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

This has been observed by my MIL in every trip. She has been doing it for 7 years now.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 16:07   #64
BHPian

@nanduchitnis, the best time of ones life to undertake long road trips is perhaps the time when your kids are settled and most of life's worldly responsibilities are taken care of.

I used to feel that it may be difficult to continue with our road trips in the times to come on account of family commitments. But your courageous venture has renewed my hopes once again.

With my 3 kids aged between 13 and 20, still time for us to reach there. In the meantime, the smaller road trips continue.

The Ladakh terrain is very harsh and it requires a lot of will power, grit and determination to battle the nature's elements. Perhaps expecting the unexpected at each turn is what makes travel through this terrain so exciting. Wishing you good luck for your onward journey.
Sugeeta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 16:49   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I presume by MIL you mean The MIL ( m-in-law ). And for 7 years Leh? Wow!
Yup you are right. She first went there in 2004 with a couple of friends and was amazed by its beauty and decided that she has to bring more civilians to the place so that they can enjoy the beauty as well understand the terrain on which our defence forces protect us. So it has continued since then with sometimes 2 trips per year. I would not hijack captains thread here. Sorry captain for the intrusion. Just wanted to answer the question.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 17:01   #66
Senior - BHPian

What an amazing travelogue! And a special hats off to Mrs.Chitnis! You guys showed fantastic grit and determination.

PS : I see that you have sold the Avenger. Do you still do some travelling on the P220 ? I personally find the Pulsar's pillion seat not very comfortable.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 19:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
What an amazing travelogue! And a special hats off to Mrs.Chitnis! You guys showed fantastic grit and determination.

PS : I see that you have sold the Avenger. Do you still do some travelling on the P220 ? I personally find the Pulsar's pillion seat not very comfortable.
Immediately after the Ladakh ride I sold the Avenger to another BikeNomad member who rode her to Ladakh the next year! By then I had toured almost 25,000 kms.

I wanted to shift to high speed biking and at that time the Pulsar 220 was a great machine. I joined a riding group called THE RUBBER SMOKIN ANGELS. They ride like Kamakazi suicide Pilots but have great knowledge and skills. They taught me everything within one year.

Next I was ready to buy the Yamaha R 15 and race on the tracks in Chennai and Coimbatore. Most unexpectedly my family revolted against me and my racing dreams died a premature death.

Then I bided my time and bot the Honda City and imediately flogged her from Pune right upto Jaisalmer and India Pak Border and back to Pune. Within a week I drove the Honda to Kerela and burned plenty of rubber as if she is a Jeep. I have no idea why I bot the Honda City. Insurance company has already paid Rs 41,000/- to repair her damages.

But deep down in my heart I am a free bird. And I get that freedom riding bikes.

Once in a while I take out Street Fighter (my P 220) early morning at 4 AM on deserted concrete roads and blast out the horses to max, just to keep the adreniel juices flowing.

As the saying goes:

Four wheels move the body
Two wheels move the soul.

Rgds

Nandu Chitnis

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 24th March 2011 at 19:34.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:28   #68
BHPian

@Sajo: A bit off topic.

This is me driving my Honda City, who I call WHITE ANGEL OF DESIRE

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-honda.jpg

And this is me belting the horses outta the Pulsar 220 who I have named "Street Fighter"

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-p-220.jpg

Give me freedom, give me a bike !!
Old 24th March 2011, 19:30   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Captain i am inspired to write my TL of Ladakh after reading this. If nothing else it would improve my writing skills
Amit> Do that without further delays !! You have a story to tell.

Rgds

Nandu

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 24th March 2011 at 19:41.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBoss View Post
Sir with at-most respect i stand up and salute you and ma'am. Today you have become my personal super hero.
VBoss> WE are honored. You have made our day !

Rgds

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 24th March 2011 at 20:03.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Actually its more than that, the spirit and the photograph with Medini there.
Among so many others, you can safely add Coolcat21, SSTraveller and myself to your fan list.
Regards,
Fazal saab, SST, CoolCat > I and Medini bow to all of you. Medini is a hard spirited woman. She is the MAGICAL WOMAN of the Family. But I pay for everything else !!

:-)

Rgds

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 24th March 2011 at 20:10.
Old 24th March 2011, 19:50   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I doff my (imaginary) hat to you, Sir, and especially to Mrs. Chitnis, for successfully undertaking one of the most daunting rides in this country. Look forward to many more photos, irrespective of the fact that they may not be of the highest quality, as well as your unique narration.
SST Sir> Medini has read this post. We indeed feel honored and motivated reading your words to do more.

Rgds

Nandu n Medini
Old 24th March 2011, 20:01   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
@nanduchitnis, the best time of ones life to undertake long road trips is perhaps the time when your kids are settled and most of life's worldly responsibilities are taken care of.

I used to feel that it may be difficult to continue with our road trips in the times to come on account of family commitments. But your courageous venture has renewed my hopes once again.
@ Sangeeta> Seriously age is just a number. Just follow your heart.We only live once.

Rgds

Nandu
Old 24th March 2011, 20:09   #74
BHPian

Commander C Sir,

I mean no disrepsect to you when I say this, but your accomplishing this feat at your age while commendable is no patch on the feat accomplished by Ms C when she accompanied you,given that you are a defence officer and physical fitness is something you would have worked on most of your working life.

Ms C is the one who gets the salutes here. My better half and I have been admiring your better half's grit and determination ever since I have come across your thread. Please convey our deepest respect and admiration to her.

Best Regards

RS_DEL
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 20:16   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I would not hijack captains thread here. Sorry
captain for the intrusion. Just wanted to answer the question.
Amit there is no hi jack. So many experienced members have injected their experiences and photographs in this thread and made it so rocking. This is OUR TEAM BHP THREAD!

One moderator of team-bhp based in USA is spending valuable time merging photos, infos and posts to make this thread more interesting. What more can we ask for!

Aint that great?

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 24th March 2011 at 20:18.