Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th March 2011, 20:29   #76
BHPian

Default re: Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Capt. I for one was eagerly awaiting this TLog! After you happened to mention it in the recent meet, I have been building up the courage to do this.

Great narration till now, and some superb pics at that! Go on with the TL. Waiting for the rest of the story.

To you and your better half - RESPECT!
Swanand> I have written enuff since u last read this post. Taking a break for India Australia match. Shall I continue?

Rgds

Nandu
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 20:31   #77
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post
@ Sangeeta> Seriously age is just a number. Just follow your heart.We only live once.
I should be surely the one to follow this...

Fantastic read Sir. And a further push on my back side to make it again there. Soon.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 20:32   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I would not hijack captains thread here. Sorry captain for the intrusion. Just wanted to answer the question.
Amit,
No offence but, kindly correct the above in bold.

It is Commander.
It has taken him atleast 25 years of dedication, integerity, sacrifices to earn that rank.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 20:34   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Hey you just stole an item off my bucket list!!

Splendid. This gives me more push to do this travel one day soon. Not yet in to grand parent category but with one son married and other out of college should be getting there soon ;-0
Sudev> I like the term bucket list! Saved to disk !!
Old 24th March 2011, 20:58   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Amit,
No offence but, kindly correct the above in bold.

It is Commander.
It has taken him atleast 25 years of dedication, integerity, sacrifices to earn that rank.
Regards,
I would never make that mistake and not with a defense person any way

My first introduction to sir was in the Pune Team BHP meet thread about 4 weeks back and it was as Captain Nandu Chitnis. So in order to avoid any unintentional disrespect would now be addressing him only as SIR.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 21:00   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Commander C Sir,

I mean no disrepsect to you when I say this, but your accomplishing this feat at your age while commendable is no patch on the feat accomplished by Ms C when she accompanied you,given that you are a defence officer and physical fitness is something you would have worked on most of your working life.

Ms C is the one who gets the salutes here. My better half and I have been admiring your better half's grit and determination ever since I have come across your thread. Please convey our deepest respect and admiration to her.
RS_DEL
Dear RS DEL.

I have learned to live with this DISRESPECT the last 35 years, both in the Indian Navy and the Civvie street. No matter what I do, she gets the bouquets even from my Navy, Army, Air Force course mates to this day. I let that pass no matter how much it hurts just coz she cooks good food !

Do visit us in Pune. She has read this post and is purring like a satiated cat !!

Regards
Old 24th March 2011, 21:45   #82
BHPian

Sir,
I am sure most of our words fall short in appreciation of your wife and yourself. Every post so beautifully written and woven with amazing pictures.
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to lots and lots more.
Regards

Last edited by Coooolcat21 : 24th March 2011 at 21:46.
Coooolcat21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 01:57   #83
BHPian

Hello Commander,
Read thru your travelogue in one sitting. You and Mrs. C are a shining example of ageing being all in the mind! I got my wife to read this travelogue and I am hoping that she will join me on my trip to Leh. To you and to your wife .....A Royal Salute!
Rgds
Ashok
ashphil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 06:21   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
!! Mackenna's Gold !!
Sir, few questions. Where was this? Before Lamayuru? Landscapes between Haniskot and Lamayuru?. What time of the day it was?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 07:03   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Sir, few questions. Where was this? Before Lamayuru? Landscapes between Haniskot and Lamayuru?. What time of the day it was?
MACKENNAS GOLD

@Rudra Sen> We were riding Kolatse to Leh. I got this shot while taking a butt break. The EXIF data shows the time as 07:50 AM.

I was plane lucky with the sun to light up the mountains like GOLD!

The pic immediatley reminded me of the Hollywood epic Movie "Mackennas Gold".

Rgds

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 25th March 2011 at 07:08.
Old 25th March 2011, 07:11   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rudra,
Its nice seeing you. I hope the commander too has visited your thread and seen the most magical representation of this region, to this day I keep visiting your thread regularly.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...0000-feet.html (Images from above 10000 feet.)

Quote:
I let that pass no matter how much it hurts just coz she cooks good food !
Commander,
Its worth it! Its worth it!

Can you beat this? Because my wife too cooks great food, I haven't even joined the armed forces yet.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 07:16   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was plane lucky with the sun to light up the mountains like GOLD!
Yes Sir, that's the beauty of that vast mysterious topography. Light changes without any notice and magic happens.

Waiting for more pictures and brilliant write up to come.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 07:47   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Sir, that's the beauty of that vast mysterious topography. Light changes without any notice and magic happens.

Waiting for more pictures and brilliant write up to come.
Rudra Dada> On this ride 2007, I did not know photography. All the pics are with a Nikon Coolpix, which is fine for biking photography in the mountains.

I will start a seperate thread for my Ladakh 2009 photo tour with a Nikon D 80, 18-200 mm lens later.

Right now I am watching your Ladakh pics and my brain is scrambled and totalled !

Rgds

Last edited by nanduchitnis : 25th March 2011 at 07:48.
Old 25th March 2011, 09:21   #89
BHPian

Tangalangala to Gata Loops to Sarchu

I started the downhill ride and sure enough the water crossings across the road started.

At one point the water was very deep so I parked the bike and watched the trucks drive through.

One trucker offered to load my bike and take me safely to Sarchu. I said I will follow you and keep an eye for me on your rear view mirror.

I started the bike and rode on the tyre marks left by the truck. Some rock under water just twisted my front wheel and the bike stopped in knee deep water. My legs were soaked in ice cold water, but the engine was running.

I opened the throttle and managed to cross to the other end. I had to stop to take off my wet boots and dry my socks. My luggage was also soaked.

I took off my shoes and socks. There was no sensation on the sole of my feet and toes !!

I parked the bike, kept the engine running and used the heat of the exhaust pipes to dry out my socks and the exhaust air to dry out the riding boots.

I placed my exposed feet on the running hot engine to get the blood circulation. It worked !

After an hour I was ready to ride again.

I do have some recollections of the 21 GATA Loops and the ride through the excellent roads through the Moari planes!

The Tsrap river was nice.

Name:  Tsrap river.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  121.9 KB

I did not have much juice left to do photgraphy. Just two pics.
At around 4 pm I arrived without any further incidents at Sarchu.

Through The Wild Desert Mountains and Spiritual Awakening. Ladakh, 2007/09-sarchu.jpg

SARCHU

I hired a tent for the night. Although the area around was breath taking,
I was too stressed out to move round. After an early dinner I knocked out
for the night.

Around midnight Super Stong Man was hit hard by High Altitude Mtn Sickness.

The feel is horrible this HAMS thing. I started to pop Diamox pills every 3 hours to lessen the breathing problems. I had to sleep in a sitting position
through the night.

Sarchu is at a height of more than 15 thou ft. HAMS affliction is quite commonfor people who take a break here.

By early morning at around 5 AM, I was ready to ride out again, drop altitude and get rid of HAMS.

The ride was quite easy upto Rohtang pass, or maybe I had learned to cope up with anything on the Ladakh Manali roads by now.

ROHTANG PASS
Sadly Rohtang has been ruined by Mumbai Chowpatty type food stalls, garbage and excessive tourist traffic. Tis an eco disaster zone.

I continued riding and hit Manali before nightfall. Checked into a hotel by the river.

Called Medini, she was fine in Delhi.
Old 25th March 2011, 10:25   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Rudra,
Its nice seeing you. I hope the commander too has visited your thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...0000-feet.html (Images from above 10000 feet.)

Commander,
Its worth it! Its worth it!

Can you beat this? Because my wife too cooks great food, I haven't even joined the armed forces yet.
Regards,
Yes Sir. I am studing Rudra's photography and making notes on a sheet of paper !

It is worth it !!