Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th April 2011, 12:20   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Ooty - Hyderabad: The Highlight, The Sidelight, The Lowlight

Rohit, good to see your new TL. Keep it coming. Seeing Ooty through your lenses is a different experience too.

Sorry about the accident.

OT: On a serious note, is there some thing wrong with your Bolero? Every TL of yours has an incident with your Bolero? Shaanti Pooja Karwado Yaar. Hydies, Rohit's planning for a Shaanti Pooja for his Bolero. Pitch in your thoughts on Hyd TBHP Meets Thread please.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 12:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hyderabad - Ooty - Hyderabad: The Highlight, The Sidelight, The Lowlight

Nice pics, Rohit. Keep 'em coming.

Also, please do not keep the suspense for too long. We'd like to know how the Bolero got smashed.

In retrospect, I shudder to think of what would have happened if you were in another vehicle.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Yes, Nikhil. There seems to be something wrong somewhere. The Bolero is going to be sold once the repairs are done.
lucifer1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 18:27   #19
BHPian

Great one so far.

Infact I was looking at this Sabol Holidays to celebrate our first anniversary, I had even posted a query in the ' Accomodation & Rates' thread. The same evening I saw your thread. Saw your description of the room. And the next thing I did was to book a room in Sabol Holidays from May 2nd to May 5th.

Thanks mate, your log helped me finalize the place. Hope its worth the money.
Archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 13:16   #20
BHPian

Day 3: Ooty – Coonoor – Ooty (8:45 am; unknown distance)

She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes, (when she comes)
She'll be coming 'round the mountain, she'll be coming 'round the mountain

At the Udagamandalam Railway Station - looking out the train window

I had not been on a train since, oh well, a couple of months ago. But that was an overnighter for a work trip which does not really count. My last proper train journey had been over two years ago. So this time when my wife and I got the chance, we grabbed it.

We had booked the tickets the previous day itself on the 9:15 am train. We drove to the Ooty station and parked the Bolero. This was our first journey on the famed mountain trains of India. We loved every minute of it.

Ooty station, however, was a trifle disappointing. For a building constructed in 1908, it has no character. It was so bland, in fact, that it did not motivate me enough to even take a picture of it. And I take pictures of almost anything.

The customary rant over and done with, this was probably the most romantic train journey I have ever undertaken. The train pulled out of the station on time and chugged its way to Coonoor. I had a window seat and went completely trigger happy with my camera.

Some of the views from outside my train window

We hired an auto rickshaw to show us around Coonoor. The 4 hour tour costs Rs. 550 and covers the tourist circuit.

We started Coonoor off with a visit to the tea gardens. This was my first time in a tea processing unit. I consider myself an absolute connoisseur of tea, to the extent that I can get quite obnoxious with the way I have tea. Thus it goes without saying that I felt like a child on Christmas. Tea is a life-giving brew. Not enough has been said of its wondrous properties.

Tea leaves are dried on these beds for upto 8 hours before they are processed

The dried leaves are pushed down the hopper into a cutting machine

The tea is finally ready for packaging

Time for some posing at the tea garden

Our next stop was Dolphin’s nose. Unfortunately, it was not a clear day. Mist hung in the air. Not a particularly good day for whipping out that telephoto lens. Not a good day either for making the most of those view points.

The waterfall viewed from Dolphin's Nose

A nice macro shot of a flower

It must be said that the drive to Dolphin’s nose is phenomenal. I was starting to miss my Bolero. The tarmac was smooth as silk. The twists and turns would have made it a very pleasurable drive indeed. Turns out that in hindsight it was a good thing to have not brought my car. We were stuck in one long traffic jam at Lamb’s Rock. Boy, was I glad that I was not driving!

The drive to Dolphin's nose

The traffic jam

On our way back from Lamb’s Rock we saw a herd of Bison. Huge beasts these were. It was an experience seeing them in the wild.

At Lamb's Rock

A Bison in the wild

Then it started to rain. We could not see Sim’s Park. Not that we regret it. We are not Garden people. We made our way back to the railway station.

The Coonoor station is a photographer’s wet dream. I shall let the pictures speak for themselves.

At the Coonoor Railway Station

Probably the only station where the train backs into the platform

Kiska hai yeh tumko intezaar main hoon na

On our way back, we were in the first coach. With the engine pushing us from the back, it meant we had a very clear view of the track ahead. Srishti, my wife, clicked some amazing pictures.

The train Guard gets off at Ketti to have a cup of tea - ah what a throwback to the days of simplicity

Views from the front window

We reached Ooty around 5:30 pm. This was a very chilly evening. Quickly we drove to our resort and got under the covers.

Last edited by lucifer1881 : 10th April 2011 at 13:18.
Old 10th April 2011, 15:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Awesome snaps there lucifier!! Specially loved the loco's pics! Do they still operate the coal one?
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 17:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Awesome snaps there lucifier!! Specially loved the loco's pics! Do they still operate the coal one?
Thanks! Yes, they still operate the steam locomotive engine. Coonoor to Mettupalayam has the steepest gradient (1:12) in the Indian Railways. The steam loco has a 'third' wheel for the additional traction needed. Udagamandalam to Coonoor uses the diesel.
Old 10th April 2011, 18:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Thanks! Yes, they still operate the steam locomotive engine. Coonoor to Mettupalayam has the steepest gradient (1:12) in the Indian Railways. The steam loco has a 'third' wheel for the additional traction needed. Udagamandalam to Coonoor uses the diesel.
Those pics of Diesel locos made me ask this. Good to know it still hauls load!
Anyways, do you have a pic of the 3rd wheel? I couldn't spot an extra rail! Sounds interesting!!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 19:01   #24
BHPian

Hi Lucifer,

Good pictures and a bad crash.

Some pointers: The first set of pictures shows a carrot farm (not tea). We do not have Bison in India. This is called the Indian Gaur, Bos gaurus. Largest of the cattle family. Bison exist only in the US.
discoverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 19:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Those pics of Diesel locos made me ask this. Good to know it still hauls load!
Anyways, do you have a pic of the 3rd wheel? I couldn't spot an extra rail! Sounds interesting!!
The third track does not exist in Coonoor. I suppose it makes its appearance somewhere down the line. I read about the third track on a wall piece at the Coonoor station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Hi Lucifer,

Good pictures and a bad crash.

Some pointers: The first set of pictures shows a carrot farm (not tea). We do not have Bison in India. This is called the Indian Gaur, Bos gaurus. Largest of the cattle family. Bison exist only in the US.
Thanks for the corrections. Being a novice, I could not tell a carrot farm from a tea garden. And the auto-wallah told us it was a Bison. I could not discern between a Bison and an Indian Gaur to save my life.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:43   #26
BHPian

Day 3: Ooty – Coonoor – Ooty (8:45 am; unknown distance) ...contd.

Uploading a few pictures of Sabol Holidays resort for the benefit of those who may wish to stay there. The place is good. The service is very prompt. But the room phone does not work always – we had to call the main desk from our cell phone.

The outer room of the cottage

The cottage we were in

The restaurant of glass

We went out for dinner. Our first stop was at the double-decker filling station. The Bolero satiated, we decided to have dinner at this place called ‘The Dining Hall’. It is right on the main road just before the filling station in question. The food was decent. The prices were reasonable. The menu entry for ‘Chapati’ was hilarious.

The Dining Hall

Notice the spelling of Chapati

To round off this post, a couple of pictures on the drive back.

Ooty from top of a hill

The drive back - dark and lonely

Last edited by lucifer1881 : 11th April 2011 at 21:46.
Old 11th April 2011, 21:56   #27
BHPian

Nice Photos. Is it raining in Ooty now? You had some wonderful sightings. When was the accident - onward or return journey? God Bless you both.
Funda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 23:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

The pictures are getting better by each post. Awesome!

And seeing the toy train pictures, I have decided that I need to go there. Soon. Vey soon!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 18:10   #29
BHPian

Nice write-up lucifer1881. Hope you both escaped the accident without any injuries.

Lovely scene to see Ooty when it rains.
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 00:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Our next stop was Dolphin’s nose. Unfortunately, it was not a clear day. Mist hung in the air. Not a particularly good day for whipping out that telephoto lens. Not a good day either for making the most of those view points.

The waterfall viewed from Dolphin's Nose
a little editing might help.

Name:  141320.jpg
Views: 3305
Size:  392.1 KB
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote