Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th April 2011, 10:36   #1
BHPian

Default Coorg - A Photologue

First a big thanks to the moderators for the Assembly line option. It was really helpful to organise the photos and write up at my own pace and in privacy.

We had only a small window of 3 days (10th to 12th April) for vacation this year. We decided to visit Coorg, since we had not been there earlier and perfectly fitted as a 3 day vacation. Since the time available was short, we had to travel by train in the night and hence driving was ruled out. My cousin offered to join us and we were a group of seven .

A friend who had visited last year recommended Mayura Valley View hotel in Madikere. The on line booking was hassle free and very fast. Booked the train tickets by Chennai Mysore Express through irctc and the entire process from planning to booking was over in 2 hours. A week before departure booked a Tavera for 3 days through Alpha Travels Mysore. The service was very good and got the driver name / mobile number through SMS and the driver Mr.Muzafil called the previous day to confirm the train arrival timing and was in station to receive us.

Day 1:

After breakfast left Mysore by 10 am and decided to visit the places near Kushal Nagar and check in to the hotel in the evening. Our first stop was the magnificent Golden Temple at the Tibetian Monastery.

Coorg - A Photologue-gt1.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-gt2.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-gt3.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-gt4.jpg

From there we went to Kaveri Nisargadhama . After reading a lot about this place , it was bit of a let down. Should be a great place during monsoons when the river will be full. Spent sometime boating and relaxing near the river.

The hanging bridge

Coorg - A Photologue-ng1.jpg

Click fast, I have things to do

Name:  NG2.jpg
Views: 3478
Size:  60.6 KB

The river Kaveri

Coorg - A Photologue-ng3.jpg

For the family album , Me with my sons

Coorg - A Photologue-ng4.jpg

The three monkeys , my sons with their cousin

Coorg - A Photologue-ng5.jpg

The old hanging bridge

Coorg - A Photologue-ng6.jpg

Went to Dubare next and a great time in a raft and swimming in the river. This was the best part of the day. Decided to skip the elehant camp and returned back since we were all tired after rowing and swimming

We reached the hotel by 6.30 pm and missed the sun set. The hotel is very close to Raja's Seat park and all the rooms have a great view. Probably the only hotel in Madikere where in all rooms have a great view. At Rs1500 per night, the clean and spacious rooms with great view, it is real VFM. The room service was slow (we were forewarned) and the complimentary breakfast was adequate with bread/jam/butter (no toast) and two veg items

A view of the room

Coorg - A Photologue-h1.jpg

The room with the view of the valley

Coorg - A Photologue-h2.jpg

View from the room

Coorg - A Photologue-h3.jpg

Front view of the hotel

Coorg - A Photologue-h4.jpg

Last edited by raju2512 : 15th April 2011 at 15:27.
raju2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 10:43   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Coorg - A Photologue

Day 2

After breakfast left for Talacauveri. It is around 30 km from Madikere and the road was not in good shape in some stretches. Visited Bhagamandala, where Cauveri is joined by two more rivers forming a Triveni Sangamam. The temple on the banks was beautiful and serene

Triveni Sangaman

Coorg - A Photologue-bg1.jpg

Temple at Bhagamandala

Coorg - A Photologue-bg2.jpg

Name:  bg3.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  88.6 KB

From Bhagamandala Talacauveri is around 8 kms and the climb was quite steep.

Had a holy dip at Talacauveri and climbed to the near by peak and the view was breathtaking.

Coorg - A Photologue-t1.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-t2.jpg

Returned back to Madikere for lunch and visited the fort. Unforutnately the museum and the Omkareshwara temple were closed.

View of the fort
Coorg - A Photologue-mer1.jpg

It was time for visiting the Raja seat for the sun set view. The park is well maintained and an ideal place spend the evening.

The park at Raja's seat

Coorg - A Photologue-rs1.jpg
Coorg - A Photologue-rs2.jpg
Coorg - A Photologue-rs3.jpg

It was a cloudy evening and the sun was playing hide and seek. Managed to click a few shots of the sun set.

Sun set with camera set to sun set mode
Coorg - A Photologue-ss1.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-ss2.jpg

Camera set in normal mode
Coorg - A Photologue-ss3.jpg

Caught between the branches
Coorg - A Photologue-ss4.jpg

Split in to two

Coorg - A Photologue-ss5.jpg

Soon it was dark and time for the music fountain show

Last edited by raju2512 : 15th April 2011 at 16:55.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:29   #3
BHPian

The musical fountain was spectacular. The cool evening with a chilly breeze provided the perfect ambience

Coorg - A Photologue-m1.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m2.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m3.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m4.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m5.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m6.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m7.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m8.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m9.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m10.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-m11.jpg

Last edited by raju2512 : 15th April 2011 at 16:57.
Old 14th April 2011, 15:36   #4
BHPian

Day 3

Left back for Mysore after breakfast and mandatory purchase of spices and coffee powder. Reached Chamundi hills by 1 pm and a wonderful darshan

Coorg - A Photologue-c1.jpg

The big bull
Coorg - A Photologue-c2.jpg

After lunch, we had the choice visiting the palace or driving up to the Brindavan gardens. The popular vote was for the garden,even though we could not stay back and enjoy the garden with lighting since our train was at 8.15 pm.

Strolled around garden clicking shots at every corner.

Coorg - A Photologue-g1.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-g2.jpg

Out for evening walk

Coorg - A Photologue-g3.jpg

Fountains

Coorg - A Photologue-g5.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-g6.jpg

Coorg - A Photologue-g7.jpg

I had always been facinated by water drop photography and decided to try my hand

At 210mm with f 1/4000

Name:  drop1.jpg
Views: 2951
Size:  30.6 KB

At 210mm with f 1/1000

Coorg - A Photologue-drop2.jpg

Flowers, flowers and more flowers
Coorg - A Photologue-f5.jpg
Coorg - A Photologue-g4.jpg
Coorg - A Photologue-f1.jpg
Coorg - A Photologue-f2.jpg
Coorg - A Photologue-f3.jpg
Coorg - A Photologue-f4.jpg

Every where this has become a common sight. Will we ever change and care a bit more for the environment

Coorg - A Photologue-pol1.jpg

Thanks for patient reading

Last edited by raju2512 : 15th April 2011 at 17:14.
Old 19th April 2011, 16:57   #5
BHPian

That's a nice little vacation you had Venkat. You have made the full use of the camera's. Nice picture there.

Mayura Valley View seems to be nice, how was the service and rooms ?
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 17:40   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures there.

Did you not see Abbe Falls?

You did not miss much in the Museum; it has some photos of the Presidency and items they used. The Temple was closed??

Did you happen to sit in the toy train next to Raja's Seat? The driver let me even sit in the Pilot's cabin for a photo op
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 19:57   #7
BHPian

Very good photography, specially colorful fountains in night and flowers and about water drops amazing, Great Sir, keep it up. Best used vacations.

Your concern about nature is appreciable.
Passiontodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 20:17   #8
BHPian

Good photographs !

A well planned and compact tour you had there Venkat. It would have been better if you had visited the Mysore palace and nearby art galleries.

Did you climb the Brahmagiri hill top from Talacauvery temple ? The view from the top is fascinating !

Thanks for sharing.
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2011, 22:06   #9
BHPian

Thanks all for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Nice pictures there.

Did you not see Abbe Falls?

You did not miss much in the Museum; it has some photos of the Presidency and items they used. The Temple was closed??

Did you happen to sit in the toy train next to Raja's Seat? The driver let me even sit in the Pilot's cabin for a photo op
We were told by the hotel guy that there was very little water in the falls and hence we skipped.

The temple opens at 4.30 and we reached by 3.30 pm. We planned to visit the next morning but we had to miss since we were late and wanted to be in Chamundi hills before the temple closed.

Unfortunately the train was undergoing some sort of servicing and was not running that evening

Quote:
Mayura Valley View seems to be nice, how was the service and rooms ?
The rooms were good. But the service was just sort of OK. Definitely VFM @ Rs.1500 per night

Quote:
A well planned and compact tour you had there Venkat. It would have been better if you had visited the Mysore palace and nearby art galleries.

Did you climb the Brahmagiri hill top from Talacauvery temple ? The view from the top is fascinating !

Thanks for sharing.
We climbed up and the view was breathtaking.

Yeah we missed quite a few places. This circuit needs atleast 5 days to do justice. Since I wanted to be back for voting, I had to manage within 3 days
Old 6th May 2011, 22:58   #10
BHPian

Hi,

I loved the sun set and water-drop pictures. The hotel seems to be ideal for a short trip and to reach to the various popular spots. Next time try a coffee estate homestay. We had a great time last year same time. You will be completely cutoff from the city and crowd.
I'm planning a trip this month with parents. Thank you for sharing all the info.

Rgds
VW
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 01:00   #11
BHPian

A very good write up raju2512! You have covered most of the important places around, and excellent pics too.
Loved the sunset, fountains, and the flowers!
Do make another trip to mysore to enjoy the grandeur of the mysore palace, specially in the evening when its lit up.
Really appreciate the fact that you went back in time for voting, inspite of having the option of extending the vacation
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 07:56   #12
BHPian

Good photographs and a nice travelogue. Is there any other place close to Coorg that can be traveled along with Coorg.
AbiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 08:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Glad you liked your visit to coorg. You should check out some home stays the next time around. The ambience is way better than a hotel and also the service levels will be higher.

The temple in Bhagamandala and Talacauvery was renovated recently. Looks nice but the amount of rains which pours in these parts wont let a decent paint job on walls and roof remain the same.

You should do a visit to south coorg sometime. Its gorgeous too and you could get to see some animals.

I see many people miss out the Gadige and Madikeri Fort in their visit. These places are worth a visit.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 10:48   #14
BHPian

Maddy, south Coorg consists of Iruppu and Nagerhole isnt it? Could you suggest places to be covered for a 3 day (3 full days in Coorg) trip?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Glad you liked your visit to coorg. You should check out some home stays the next time around. The ambience is way better than a hotel and also the service levels will be higher.

The temple in Bhagamandala and Talacauvery was renovated recently. Looks nice but the amount of rains which pours in these parts wont let a decent paint job on walls and roof remain the same.

You should do a visit to south coorg sometime. Its gorgeous too and you could get to see some animals.

I see many people miss out the Gadige and Madikeri Fort in their visit. These places are worth a visit.
VindyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 10:49   #15
BHPian

Thanks vindywheels, Figo_United, AbiS and maddy42. Glad that you liked the photos and the writeup.

I will definitely plan a more leisurely trip to Mysore and southern Coorg.