Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2013, 22:17   #256
BHPian
 
mints21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: India
Posts: 735
Thanked: 1,180 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
I have said this before and let me say this again. Apollo acceleres are real VFM. I have driven my VW Vento HL diesel on stock Apollo tyres for 23000+ kms and they have served me well, without even a puncture. There is a lot of criticism about the road noise with these tyres, I always drive with the window closed and AC on, so the road noise, if any, does not bother me at all. I use nitrogen and do regular alignment check and wheel balancing every 5000 kms. I find the ride quality and handling while cornering to be quite good. Experiences are quite personal and mine has been quite good with these tyres. We have to curb the general tendancy to see everything Indian as of poor quality and praise the so called foreign premium brands. These forums are full of horror stories from those, who have paid extra money and gone for these so called premium brands.

My i20 (asta option)has the same Apollo accelers and I have done more than 35000kms and they are perfectly fine in all respects. They are in true sense value for money. I am sure that some of us may have had a bad experience but this does not mean that we paint an overall bad picture of them. I get wheel balancing done only after 10000kms during my routine service. In fact, my new i10 grand asta option has the same Apollo accelers. Anyone willing to buy and use them should feel to buy and use without having any second thought.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 09:29   #257
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Did you get the 155/65/R13 Accelere?
Planning to upgrade my WagonR tires and am seriously considering the 155 Accelere
Dear Procj

The car is on the stock OEM tyres.

Ideal upgrade would be 155/65 R13.

Current stock tyres are 145/80 R13.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2013, 10:28   #258
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 360
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

My 2011 1.6 Fabia has stock Acelere 185/65/R14 and it is serving very well without any issues since last 2.5 years. It got 2 punctures on different occasions but with same wheel, for 11K distance covered so far.
I don't have more experience with other tyres, but from general feedback from a friend (about JK) I rate Acelere as quite reliable. The only bad factor with it could be of bit noisy.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 11:48   #259
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,118
Thanked: 2,463 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Current stock tyres are 145/80 R13.
Did you mean 145/70 R13? Searched the net and could find 145/80 R13.

In a real fix right now. My stock tyres are Bridgestone 145/70/R13 and I haven't had a single puncture or problem with them in the last 4 years (85% city driving but Bangalore roads are amazing! )

Want to go for the Bridgestone S322 155/65/R13 but that costs around 3.5K per tyre. Have been researching and reading about the Acelere and most user seem to have a positive experience with them. Acelere costs 2.7K per tyre.

Am still sitting on the fence and not sure what to pick up?
Anyone running Acelere on WagonR?? Any feedback??
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 17:05   #260
BHPian
 
Ashkait Kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shillong
Posts: 138
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post

Anyone running Acelere on WagonR?? Any feedback??
One of my friend is running Apollo acelere 165/65 r13s on his wagonR. He paid around 3.4K a piece. He seems quite happy about the ride after putting those tires. Picture attached.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131215_170020.png
Views: 3269
Size:  559.1 KB


However, if you're willing to spend anywhere close to the 3.5k a piece price bracket then I would recommend you to consider Michelin XM2. They are extremely good.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 22:10   #261
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 57
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
I have said this before and let me say this again. Apollo acceleres are real VFM. I have driven my VW Vento HL diesel on stock Apollo tyres for 23000+ kms and they have served me well, without even a puncture. There is a lot of criticism about the road noise with these tyres, I always drive with the window closed and AC on, so the road noise, if any, does not bother me at all. I use nitrogen and do regular alignment check and wheel balancing every 5000 kms. I find the ride quality and handling while cornering to be quite good. Experiences are quite personal and mine has been quite good with these tyres. We have to curb the general tendancy to see everything Indian as of poor quality and praise the so called foreign premium brands. These forums are full of horror stories from those, who have paid extra money and gone for these so called premium brands.
Just to your point of road noise try Michelin XM2.

I never drive with my window down as well (reasons pollution in NCR, car interiors getting stained/spoiled etc) and have extensively driven Apollo Aceleres, Yoko A drive, Bridgestone potenza/turanza etc. I used to say the same thing i.e. road noise doesn't bother me till I switched to XM2 on my Ritz. The first experience was driving a different car altogether, flyover joint thuds, noise from small potholes and uneven road surfaces almost gone. Noise from bigger thumps reduced to a great degree. Now when I drive other tyres the road noise somehow does matter.
kaushal21fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 11:51   #262
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

@Procj

NO. The OEM is 145/80 R 13 and not 145/70R13.

I rechecked the OEM specs.

Additionally, an ideal upgrade would be 155/65R13.

I will also be going in for the same specs once I change the 445XX kms Apollo Amazer 3G(Stock OEMs) to most probaly Apollo Acceleres.

Considered Yoko A Drive @ Rs/ 3300/- each and Michelin XM2@ Rs. 3800/- each. Getting the Apollos at close to Rs. 2700/-. So, why not?

Acceleres have largely been a recommended buy.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 13:16   #263
BHPian
 
Grr7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 186
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Apollo Acelere are the workhorse tires. Made in India keeping in view the rough road conditions here. They do not excel in one particular area, but are good enough as not to receive any complaint in any of the desired trait of a tire.
Plus they are optimally priced and good value for money. Most of us here are automobile enthusiasts with average(but lovingly maintained) rides used to do daily commutes and journeys at average speeds. These tires can handle these requirements catering to almost 90-95% user's requirements. The rest of the enthusiasts with the racing spirits and gadgets anyways goes for performance tires that lasts for a shorter usage but excels in a few desirable traits.
Have been using 2 and a half sets of Apollo Acelere (1 and a half on esteem and one set on zen) and I am totally satisfied.
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 07:36   #264
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,043
Thanked: 7,365 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Our A-star runs on Acelere, 155 80/13. Have done close to 6K on them. I find them comfortable and quiet. The earlier ones were the stock JK Vectra and it is one of the worst rubber one can get. And the Apollo is a big improvement.

But I find it lacking in grip when pushed. Not very confidence inspiring. Maybe due to the narrow tread of 155. I now think, I should have gone for an upsize, but the options are very limited for A-star in 13".
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 00:22   #265
BHPian
 
Ashkait Kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shillong
Posts: 138
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Our A-star runs on Acelere, 155 80/13. Have done close to 6K on them. I find them comfortable and quiet. The earlier ones were the stock JK Vectra and it is one of the worst rubber one can get. And the Apollo is a big improvement.

But I find it lacking in grip when pushed. Not very confidence inspiring. Maybe due to the narrow tread of 155. I now think, I should have gone for an upsize, but the options are very limited for A-star in 13".
I agree Jk's are truly rubbish.
Well when it comes to options in sizes for 13", there are quite a lot of options out there. Ideal one for an A-star would be the 165/65 which you can get in most tyre brands. Another size is 175/60 which you get with brands like bridgestone, maxxis or yokohama which I got just today for my Wagon R. Then there is 175/70 being offered by michelin. So not very limited the options are.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 13:15   #266
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 328
Thanked: 173 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashkait Kapoor View Post
I agree Jk's are truly rubbish.
Well when it comes to options in sizes for 13", there are quite a lot of options out there. Ideal one for an A-star would be the 165/65 which you can get in most tyre brands. Another size is 175/60 which you get with brands like bridgestone, maxxis or yokohama which I got just today for my Wagon R. Then there is 175/70 being offered by michelin. So not very limited the options are.
Hey Ashkait, I'm sorry but both 165/65 and 175/60 upsize is completely wrong.

175/70 r13 is about right. Other options can be 175/65 r14 or 165/70 r14, which is also close. But in all 3 cases the rim will have to be upgraded.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 17:11   #267
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,083 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hey Ashkait, I'm sorry but both 165/65 and 175/60 upsize is completely wrong.

175/70 r13 is about right. Other options can be 175/65 r14 or 165/70 r14, which is also close. But in all 3 cases the rim will have to be upgraded.
+1 to that.

The upsize recommendations are not correct.

175/70r13 should be an ideal upsize. However, i guess you can retain the rim here.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 21:57   #268
BHPian
 
Ashkait Kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shillong
Posts: 138
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post

Hey Ashkait, I'm sorry but both 165/65 and 175/60 upsize is completely wrong.

175/70 r13 is about right. Other options can be 175/65 r14 or 165/70 r14, which is also close. But in all 3 cases the rim will have to be upgraded.
Oops sorry my bad. Wasn't aware of that. Well now I am.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 08:06   #269
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,043
Thanked: 7,365 Times
Default Re: Apollo Acelere - How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hey Ashkait, I'm sorry but both 165/65 and 175/60 upsize is completely wrong.

175/70 r13 is about right. Other options can be 175/65 r14 or 165/70 r14, which is also close. But in all 3 cases the rim will have to be upgraded.
Correct! 175/70 13 needs rim width of 5J+. The A-star's stock rims are 4.5J. Some say 4.5J is enough for 175/70, but I didn't want to risk it. And moreover, I think 14" is a better bet if you are going for both alloys + tyres.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2013, 19:03   #270
BHPian
 
Ashkait Kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shillong
Posts: 138
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Correct! 175/70 13 needs rim width of 5J+. The A-star's stock rims are 4.5J. Some say 4.5J is enough for 175/70, but I didn't want to risk it.
Yup that's right. I have alloys that are 5j so I went in for that size. But one of my friend's friend got the same size on stock A-star rims which is what got me confused earlier.
Ashkait Kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indica gets the Apollo Acelere(EDIT: 2 new ones now!) tsk1979 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 114 6th April 2014 21:39
Power valves - What are they / how do they work? chetanhanda Technical Stuff 10 9th June 2009 16:51
Economic Bubbles - Why they form and why they burst ? DCEite Shifting gears 49 20th October 2008 16:04
Got new shoes for Esteem - Apollo Acelere - 185/60 R13 Tubeless shreyasma Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 18 5th May 2008 21:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks