Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 25th January 2006, 17:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

I guess what beemer means to say that why do people put 19Inchers on baleno/Lancer/City/Octavias??

Some vehicles sold in India do come with good rubber. Esteem has started to come with 175mm but the City stil comes with 175mm is sad.

The Elantra/Optra/Skoda RS have the same tyres, alloys worldwide.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 17:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
The DICOR comes with 16" rims anyway right? Wouldn't want to go larger than that!! P.s what profile are your tyres?
255/65/R 16 Falken Ziex S/TZ. I did think in terms of bringing in 18" wheels with low profile tyres, but that would be a waste of money when I have a lot of plans for this vehicle...
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 17:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

most manufacturers give skinny tires with higher profiles so that we get better FE and better ride ...it only enthusiasts like us who value handling and grip more than FE and go for upsizes or broader tires of the same OD ...for peopel who go for wider tires to look macho or to look cool ...heheh...forget tires ..i have seen cielo's ,and esteems with bigggg spoilers ...and in bangalore u will find a lot of them ....here people will stick all performance accessories stickers on their cars when it has none of them ....

Last edited by speedsatya : 25th January 2006 at 17:39.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 17:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.here people will stick all performance accessories stickers on their cars when it has none of them
In India there is no deficency of Rice Boys. They have the show but not the go.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 18:01   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
1. we increase the diameter: the ride should be smoother, because it eats the potholes better than smaller tyres. right?
It also depends on sidewall. If you go bigger diameter and lower profile, chances are your sidewall will reduce in width. That will cause ride to be harsher.

@Beemer - You are not correct in saying all upgrade are only for vanity.

These are the advantages of upgrading to tubeless and alloys:
1) On our pathetic roads, the chances of getting a puncture is very high. In case of a tubetyre, a single nail can get you stuck in the road for a flat tyre change. The tubeless tyre with nails on the other hand will slowly leak over weeks. You can keep driving on leaky tyres until you get to the tyre shop, you should filling air as required. I had this leaky tyre problem for some time, therefore I decided to get it checked. They found one nail on each of the rear tyres.

2) On our roads, having tubeless will help you deal better with potholes. The tubeless tyres are made of much better compound which is both softer and more resilient. Therefore the ride quality will be much better. When I switched from 155/70R13 tube type to 165/65R13 tubeless on my Santro, the ride comfort just doubled.

3) It is highly recommended that you switch to alloys while switching to tubeless. Unlike steel rims, alloy rims do not easily bend. If the rim bends, the tubeless tyres will deflate in a second. Adding alloys will reduce the unsprung weight of the car, since they are lighter than steel rims. Therefore the performance/response of the car improves.

4) With tubeless, you can also switch to fatter tyres since ride won't be compromised much. That will help improve the handling in curves. Also pickup will be better.

4) Cars with alloys and fatter tyres look much much better. This you knew.

Of course, as GTO said there is a difference between upsizing an oversizing. Most of us in Team-BHP heavily use the Tyre size calculator and decide our upsize decisions carefully based on our ride requirement. People who oversize blindly are the ones who are ..er.. Blind.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2006, 18:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary, lighter alloys are supposed improve ride quality. It is different matter if one upgrades mindlessly to much bigger size (say from 14" -> 16/17"). In which case,
  1. Alloys will be heavier and hence mess up ride quality.
  2. Bigger rim diameter means lower profile to maintain overall outer diameter. This means lower side wall -> reduced ability to soak up bumps.
But not sure what went wrong in your case.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 00:51   #22
BHPian

Hey GTO and Samurai ,you guys are getting me wrong .. I mentioned in the post no 3 that i 've nothing against the wide tyres but what i fail to understand why do people go for the lower profile tyres and the large Alloy wheels instead of knowing the ride quality 'll suffer ?

The answer to this could be what Rtech said ,mainly cos of the looks and to improve the handling of the car .

Samurai- i know tubeless tyres are very good in the cityz and espically on the highways and its always recommended to switch to the tubeless ones and as you said its always recommended to go for the alloys but again does that make sense to go for a bigger size alloys/tyre combo just for those looks or else if someone is relly keen to improve the handling at the cost of the ride ..

autosyche - The wheels were totally OK and did fit very well and were for the octavias but i dont know how it all happened but when asked from one of the Skoda technicians , i was told that the size of this wheel is not what co. recommends ,the company ones were 15*6 whereas mine 15*6.5 ..

Now he told me this extra width is what made me feel the difference .. I thought he is just taking me for a ride but i coudnt do anything except to believe cos i felt the difference right after i got those rims fitted .Although the difference was minor .

The balancing problem did arise but was rectified after the drive by putting those rings on the hub .

P.S i myself would love to go for the low profile tyres and the big/sexy alloys but not at the expense of the ride comfort .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 09:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
the big/sexy alloys but not at the expense of the ride comfort .
To clarify myself- By saying big alloys, you point it to the dia of the wheels, is it?. I want to switch over to alloys from normal rims & wanted to stick with the same 14".

Iam under the impression that this is the only point that needs to be addressed in selection & looks has no role to play in technical advantage/disadvantage part, Iam i right here? pls clarify. Wanted to finalize alloys today.

P.S: Anything else needs to looked into while choosing the alloys.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 11:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
To clarify myself- By saying big alloys, you point it to the dia of the wheels, is it?. I want to switch over to alloys from normal rims & wanted to stick with the same 14".

Iam under the impression that this is the only point that needs to be addressed in selection & looks has no role to play in technical advantage/disadvantage part, Iam i right here? pls clarify. Wanted to finalize alloys today.

P.S: Anything else needs to looked into while choosing the alloys.
In addition to the above query, also wanted to find out what does PCD mean in alloys selection?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 23:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
autosyche - The wheels were totally OK and did fit very well and were for the octavias but i dont know how it all happened but when asked from one of the Skoda technicians , i was told that the size of this wheel is not what co. recommends ,the company ones were 15*6 whereas mine 15*6.5 ..

Now he told me this extra width is what made me feel the difference .. I thought he is just taking me for a ride but i coudnt do anything except to believe cos i felt the difference right after i got those rims fitted .Although the difference was minor .
Beemer: 6.5 instead of 6 would have made no siginificant difference in your ride, i guess it must be psycologicial, especially with the dealers filling it into your head!
autopsyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 23:21   #26
BHPian

Well said Beemer. I am not a big fan of big wheels. I mean 18 inch is big in my opinion. For my civic I run 16in is a comprimise between performance and look. at least I think it handle good and good acceleration. Although 15in maybe even better. I drove another civic with 17in wheels even though it is the 1.8 DOHC v-tec model, it does feel that it is dragging it from it best performance. Some cars in my opinion don't need big rims or bodykit to set the car off.

for example a Civic nicely lowered wit 15/16in rims that already set of the posture of the car.

However I do agree that if you are planning to put on bodykit, you may as well put the bigger wheels on because the smaller wheels and the big bodykit don't goes well.

Last edited by gary_yuen42 : 26th January 2006 at 23:22.
gary_yuen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2006, 23:33   #27
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Deleted. Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
a4_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2006, 23:47   #28
BHPian

Low profile tyres in my opinion cost so more than high profile tyres only because the quality of materials used is vastly superior( iknow its rubber but better quality can exist, right?). i used the link given by satya to find out the tyre stats when i was upgrading from 145/80r12's to 185/45r14's.
i found out that after this mod, the circumference of the tyre is reduced by 46 mm or so. so actually i have smaller circumference tyres and the handling is great. also, in my opinion, the ride quality has further improved as their is no irritating bouncing around of the car. it stays planted on good roads and just glides over delhi's patchy roads too.

i dont agree with anyone who says ride quality suffers with low profile tyres as my ride as become much superior after fitting 45 profile tyres. anyone who wants to check this out in south delhi area, you are most welcome to pm me and have a test drive.

tyre guru's opinions in this forum are most welcome
regards

Last edited by rev_hard : 29th January 2006 at 23:55.
rev_hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 13:12   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard
[left]i dont agree with anyone who says ride quality suffers with low profile tyres as my ride as become much superior after fitting 45 profile tyres. anyone who wants to check this out in south delhi area, you are most welcome to pm me and have a test drive.

what tire pressures are you using ...and what size rims ????are you sure that the tires dont scrape on the insides ????
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2006, 22:27   #30
BHPian

hi satya

i maintain 26 psi for tyres and the rim size is 5.5j. and no, the tyres dont ever scrape the underbody or the inner side of the fenders. i'm really happy i gave myself another phatka of 7.5k and got myself these beauties.

cheers
rev_hard is offline   Reply With Quote