Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 1st November 2008, 21:13   #31
BHPian

Aren't there explanations previously in the forum !!

Well I guess Dadu answered the most part of the question. Radial tyre is a type of construction type of the tire, where in the ply cords (the textile or the steel mesh) will be in right angles to the centreline of the thread. We can say that cords are radial from the bead to the other bead through the thread.

A radial tyre is said to have many advantages like lesser roll resistance, longer thread life and better handling and comfort compared to the Bias (better known as cross ply)

The bulge is common no issues. The radial design allows a larger foot prints and the side wall flexing is not communicated to the thread infact it acts like a spring providing a better steering response and ground pressure distribution.

One small request always check your tire pressure when the tyres are cold that is with very minimum distance of travel (locate a nearby petrol pump for this)
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 17:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
One small request always check your tire pressure when the tyres are cold that is with very minimum distance of travel (locate a nearby petrol pump for this)
Yea... :-( I have to drive 4 km into town before I can get to the air station and the tyres are of course warm so I actually have to tell the guy to put in 35 psi (I'm guessing; I don't know the tyre temp, and volume of air in it and other factors to calculate, even if I did have a formula) but this seems to work for me.

Cheers
Ed.
eddiedsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 20:01   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedsouza View Post
have to tell the guy to put in 35 psi (I'm guessing;
I dont know any formula either but by my gut I feel 35psi is excess !!
rranjith_kum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 10:45   #34

Default 35 psi is from trial and error

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I dont know any formula either but by my gut I feel 35psi is excess !!
Well, it may be excess, but it comes from trial and error; when I asked the tyre guy to set the automatic air machine to 33 psi, it would **let air out of the tires** instead of adding more; the end result was an even softer tyre, with visible impact on steering and acceleration.
Then I asked for 34 psi on a subsequent visit to the air station. And then 35. And 36.
36 turned out a bit hard - steering very sensitive, rough ride over potholes etc - basically, over-inflated. So I brought it down to 35, and have stayed with this number. Works OK for me.

Of course, 35 psi on a cold tyre would be quite a different matter...

Cheers
Ed.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Same subject thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...pros-cons.html (Radial Tyres - Pros & Cons)
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:21   #36

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Beg pardon; I'm new to forums and BB per se so... what is the purpose of the above post? As far as I can tell, it is this same thread of discussion that you have linked to? Could you please explain what you meant?

Thanks in advance and pardon the newbie question...

Ed.
Old 3rd November 2008, 22:08   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedsouza View Post
Yea... :-( I have to drive 4 km into town before I can get to the air station and the tyres are of course warm
Simple solution : Get a nice tyre gauge for yourself! Not only will this help in checking your PSI when cold, but it will also be more accurate than that of the pump. I am always amazed at the measurement variation at different pumps.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 12:32   #38

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
Simple solution : Get a nice tyre gauge for yourself! Not only will this help in checking your PSI when cold, but it will also be more accurate than that of the pump. I am always amazed at the measurement variation at different pumps.
That's an idea I've been toying with for a while; buying a foot-pump with a gauge and using it to check and top up tyres whenever they look soft to me.

I did a quick search and found a whole thread on foot pumps and pricing (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...foot-pump.html (Tyre pressure gauge and portable inflator pump / foot pump)) so won't ask about that here. I do agree with the sentiment about the variation in gauge readings, though - even among the digital variants (!!) Wish there was some reliable way of calibrating/checking...

Cheers
Ed.
Old 27th November 2008, 17:36   #39
BHPian

Question What are RAdial Tyres for bikes

In some tyre websites like michelin they sell radial tyres. Whats the different between ordinary tyre & RAdial Tyres. Recently i got dunlop geo cruiser 100/90 for my 2nd gen uni run 15K kms as i felt its center grip was not good. But now the center grip is good with geocruiser but the turning grip is worse. Earlier at steep curves in the highways (a curve after chennai airport just before kathipera new flyover) i was able to turn at 100km speed confidently while racing with an Xtreme with stock 300 * 18 mrf zapper. But now at 70km speed itself i feel like skidding off & it doesent manage any pebles while turning & its like skidding off.

So is that geo cruiser got only center grip & no curve grip like zapper?

& what is that race slick which they always mention about r15 tyres & how is that race slick grip different from city riding?
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 09:12   #40
BHPian

Thumbs down

so dunlop geo cruiser is a radial?
sreerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2008, 09:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerama View Post
so dunlop geo cruiser is a radial?
It's not a radial. It's a Cross-ply only.
Old 15th May 2009, 15:23   #42
BHPian

Default Premier padmini

Is it possible to have radials on a premier padmini?

If yes, what will be the right size? and what brand will be best suited?
MMY56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 11:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY56 View Post
Is it possible to have radials on a premier padmini?

If yes, what will be the right size? and what brand will be best suited?
You can put radials on Padmini. Go for Bridgestone.
Old 18th May 2009, 19:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
You can put radials on Padmini. Go for Bridgestone.
Thanks Mithun.

What will be the right size?
MMY56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 03:38   #45
BHPian

I reckon 155/80/R14 to be the right radial size for padmini.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote