Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 5th March 2018, 19:22   #136
BHPian

Default Re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Sorry for my bad. Did not follow the thread. Should have done that...
acemanhiflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 11:20   #137
BHPian

Default Re: VW Jetta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Here is a comparision between the two sizes.

Attachment 1572860

There are two issues with 205/60/R16.

First, there is a 3.2% error in circumference. This will result in the same error in speedometer and odometer. For example, when you are doing 100kph, the MID will show 96.8kph. Also when you have actually covered 100kms, the odometer will show 96.8km.

Second, there is a 9.1% increase in sidewall height. Though this will increase the ground clearance and comfort, this will also result in higher sidewall flex which will adversely affect handling. Jetta is an excellent handler in corners. The increased sidewall thickness will affect this cornering ability.

If comfort is your main criteria, then it may be ok to go with 205/60, but if handling is important to you, you should totally avoid 205/60. I am not sure if there are any other advantages/disadvantages due to the increased sidewall.

My opinion is 3.2% increase in circumference is too much and you should stick to 205/55/R16.
Valid points as above. But 205/60R16 will improve the ride comfort of the Jetta greatly, this is due to the higher sidewall flexing length available (hence better cushioning). On the flip side, I expect the fuel consumption to increase somewhat. If ride comfort is important , you can go in for this . But if performance and handling is important, definitely do not go for this change.
If you do fit the 60series tyres, I would look to your feedback. I may be try the same change in my Jetta to improve the ride of my Jetta.
Dead Head is offline   Reply With Quote