Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 27th July 2011, 15:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Need inputs on Pirelli for my Esteem.

My Michelins have given me excellent service for 50k now and they are good for some more. Perhaps 60k, which I should clock pretty soon as I plan to go on a long distance drive in another month.
I was looking at the various options and do some research before I am ready to buy the new set of shoes for my Esteem.
One of the brands that the retailer sold heavily to me is Pirelli 4 Cinturato. He had sold me the Michelins three years ago and I had absolutely no reason to complain. He is now suggesting that I go for Pirellis. He himself is using the brand on his Honda City. Of course, being the sole importer in Calcutta, he has a vested interest to push them. But since he is in this business for four decades now, I give a lot of credence to his opinion on tyres.
What is the general feedback on brand Pirelli? Are they worth going for?
Since I have already used Michelins I would like to taste one of the other brands. Are Pirellis better value for money than Yokohamas?
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 15:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Pirellis being Sold in india are pretty low end mainstream products. They are decent but nothing great. Another problem is that pirelli is as yet untested in Indian conditions. We don't know how it will deal with the potholes and the monsoon affected roads.

Since you have a good relationship with the dealer, I would suggest you give it a try. He might be able to get you a replacement if something happens.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 19:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Any inputs on Pirelli?

A bit OT:

But it may be a good idea to switch to a new set before your (long) journey. If you are keen on running the Mich's for 10k kms more, you could always keep those tyres, fit them back on the car for a couple of more months after you return.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 21:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Any inputs on Pirelli?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Pirellis being Sold in india are pretty low end mainstream products. They are decent but nothing great. Another problem is that pirelli is as yet untested in Indian conditions. We don't know how it will deal with the potholes and the monsoon affected roads.

Since you have a good relationship with the dealer, I would suggest you give it a try. He might be able to get you a replacement if something happens.
He has promised a 5-year warranty !!!

I was just trying to be adventurous with the Pirelli brand and take a chance, as you say but looks like there aren't too many actual users on team-bhp.

@ Shuvc - I knew this advice was coming from someone or the other. I might do what you say.

Given that I am not planning to keep the car for more than two years from now, guess I will take a chance and give some genuine user review on them here for friends here.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 16:00   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Need inputs on Pirelli for my Esteem.

Sudipto, I am still not saying don't go for Pirelli. Just that you should be aware of the pitfalls if any.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote