Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 15:29   #1
BHPian
 
ssh1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

So I was experiencing this "wheel pull" to the left on my new ride (2100 kms old). I could "feel" it often on the highways and sometimes within the city. The steering however is very responsive and "feeding back" amazingly.

It's the standard description for this kind of "issue": keep the steering straight and the vehicle pulls to your left. It was very slow, gradual for me but it was there.

I was thinking of waiting till the first service but it was still 3000 kms away. Since I was also preparing for a 1000 kms long trip this weekend, I thought I might as well get it checked out. So the SE at the Service Station took a ride (within city) and he was able to see the pull once or twice, his comment was that it's not an issue and everything was OK. There was also no stretch of road where we could do a longer drive at a higher speed. We returned to the SS where the Service Manager very kindly offered to take the vehicle up the platform and check the wheel alignment readings. Since the numbers came up in "green", he assured me again everything was alright and said we can do a checkup if required during the first service.

I've produced a snapshot of the reading below. I'm assuming here the Specified Range is Ford Endeavour standards as set by Ford. I can see the numbers for the Left Front are, well, not the same or near the Right Front values. Can some experts comment on these readings and if I should be worried and take any further action?

Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4-photoedcrop.jpg
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 15:45   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

It is normally only the toe that is adjusted ; if you see the total toe(left front plus right front) is 2.3+1.6=3.9mm ; that lies well within the allowable limit of 3mm to 9mm and is thus shown in green
  • Left Front Allowable 1.5-4.5mm ; actual 2.3mm
  • Right Front Allowable 1.5-4.5mm ; actual 1.6mm
  • Total toe(L+R) Allowable 1.5+1.5 to 4.5+4.5 viz 3.0mm to 9.0mm
  • Total toe actual 2.3+1.6=3.9mm(within allowable limits)
Your wheels are well aligned ; not to worry

Last edited by vigsom : 31st August 2011 at 15:47. Reason: addition
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 15:56   #3
BHPian
 
ssh1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Your wheels are well aligned ; not to worry
Thanks @vigsom. I've just started reading all about WA and WB but it's quite another thing to hear assurances from fellow BHPians.

Just another question, naturally, so why is this left pull exactly? Is it the same reason I've been reading in some other threads: road taper and/or tyre pressure?
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 16:01   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

^^ I can attribute this only to road banking ; at least that is what I have experienced.
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 16:27   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
ex670c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,456
Thanked: 1,798 Times
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
So I was experiencing this "wheel pull" to the left on my new ride (2100 kms old). I could "feel" it often on the highways and sometimes within the city. The steering however is very responsive and "feeding back" amazingly.

It's the standard description for this kind of "issue": keep the steering straight and the vehicle pulls to your left. It was very slow, gradual for me but it was there.

I was thinking of waiting till the first service but it was still 3000 kms away. Since I was also preparing for a 1000 kms long trip this weekend, I thought I might as well get it checked out. So the SE at the Service Station took a ride (within city) and he was able to see the pull once or twice, his comment was that it's not an issue and everything was OK. There was also no stretch of road where we could do a longer drive at a higher speed. We returned to the SS where the Service Manager very kindly offered to take the vehicle up the platform and check the wheel alignment readings. Since the numbers came up in "green", he assured me again everything was alright and said we can do a checkup if required during the first service.

I've produced a snapshot of the reading below. I'm assuming here the Specified Range is Ford Endeavour standards as set by Ford. I can see the numbers for the Left Front are, well, not the same or near the Right Front values. Can some experts comment on these readings and if I should be worried and take any further action?

Attachment 602401
Hi ssh1979,

A similar query post from another forum.

There are many reason for a vehicle to pull to one direction, I'll list what all I have experienced.

1) Tyre Pressure (If the Front Wheels have different TP, the Vehicle will pull towards the tyre with lower pressure, due to differential action & marginally different Rolling OD of the Tyres) My guess is your front Tyres are running different Tyre Pressure, Left running slightly lower pressure.

2) Tyre imbalance or faulty tyres.

3) Bent Wheel Disc

4) Bent Brake Rotors or Slightly binding brakes.

5) Improper Toe-In,Caster/Camber & KPI.

6) Loose Rack & Pinion Steering Assy.

7) Worn out TRE/Ball Joints

8) Worn Out Suspension (Arms/Bushes/Dampers)

9) Chassis Flaw.

10) In a Front Wheel Drive vehicle please check the Engine & Transmission Mounts, if they have been tightened, since its a new vehicle I doubt they have been worn out.)

Please add anything I have missed out.

Regards,

Arka
ex670c is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 19:11   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,722
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

ssh1979,

Points 5-9 in ex670c's post would have resulted in improper alignment ; since your Endeavour's alignment report shows everything is fine,and considering your vehicle is almost new,1 and road irregularities could be the probable reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi ssh1979,

There are many reason for a vehicle to pull to one direction, I'll list what all I have experienced.

1) Tyre Pressure (If the Front Wheels have different TP, the Vehicle will pull towards the tyre with lower pressure, due to differential action & marginally different Rolling OD of the Tyres) My guess is your front Tyres are running different Tyre Pressure, Left running slightly lower pressure.

2) Tyre imbalance or faulty tyres.

3) Bent Wheel Disc

4) Bent Brake Rotors or Slightly binding brakes.

5) Improper Toe-In,Caster/Camber & KPI.

6) Loose Rack & Pinion Steering Assy.

7) Worn out TRE/Ball Joints

8) Worn Out Suspension (Arms/Bushes/Dampers)

9) Chassis Flaw.

10) In a Front Wheel Drive vehicle please check the Engine & Transmission Mounts, if they have been tightened, since its a new vehicle I doubt they have been worn out.)

Please add anything I have missed out.

Regards,

Arka
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 19:11   #7
BHPian
 
ssh1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi ssh1979,

A similar query post from another forum.

There are many reason for a vehicle to pull to one direction, I'll list what all I have experienced.
Whoa, Arka! Thanks for being kind to recall & pass on this info. I'm a newbie & very easily getting overwhelmed while on tbhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
1) Tyre Pressure (If the Front Wheels have different TP, the Vehicle will pull towards the tyre with lower pressure, due to differential action & marginally different Rolling OD of the Tyres) My guess is your front Tyres are running different Tyre Pressure, Left running slightly lower pressure.
I can check this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
2) Tyre imbalance or faulty tyres.

3) Bent Wheel Disc

4) Bent Brake Rotors or Slightly binding brakes.

5) Improper Toe-In,Caster/Camber & KPI.

6) Loose Rack & Pinion Steering Assy.

7) Worn out TRE/Ball Joints

8) Worn Out Suspension (Arms/Bushes/Dampers)

9) Chassis Flaw.
I'll give the "new vehicle" the benefit of doubt, and anyway I can't check these myself. If the symptom becomes too pronounced, I'll make it a point to have these specifically checked during my the scheduled first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
10) In a Front Wheel Drive vehicle please check the Engine & Transmission Mounts, if they have been tightened, since its a new vehicle I doubt they have been worn out.)
This is a RWD.

Thanks once again!
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 21:35   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,186 Times
Default Re: Wheel Alignment Data - Ford Endeavour 4x4

From your alignment data everything seems to be in order. Indian roads are banked to the left and every car will pull to the left on most of the roads. Mine does too. Since your alignment values came out perfect no need to worry. Enjoy the drive.
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel Alignment Data for MM550XD Jaskirat 4x4 Technical 4 5th September 2011 10:38
Wheel Alignment Data for Ford Fiesta Jaskirat Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 2nd April 2009 19:12
Wheel Alignment Data for i10 NFS2024 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 8 2nd April 2009 17:59
Newbie questions - wheel balancing, wheel alignment. johy Technical Stuff 8 6th December 2006 10:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks