Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 23:22   #391
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I think that's the best thing. But the old Corolla came with 195/60-15 tyres as stock. The Altis came with 195/65-15.

I'm confused as to which model you have.

Old Corolla = 195/60-15 RE88 as stock. You can get ZLO.

Altis = 195/65-15 Bridgestone Turanza ER300 as stock. You can get XM2 or Michelin P3ST in this size.

Altis Gen 2 (the most recently launched one) : 205/55-16 on top variants and 195/65-15 on the base variant.

Now I hope this is helpful in clearing the confusion.
Hi Nikhil, I am using the Old Corolla = 195/60-15 RE88 as stock, as stated in my older posts, Corolla GC is great but the huge gaps in the wheel wells make the OE size tyre look small. I always felt the car is under tyred so was keen on upsizing, but if the benefit is negligible I'd rather stay with 195/60r15 [80% of my drive is in Bangalore city].

May be the new tyres will fill up the wells that much little more.
zulfi hansi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 10:51   #392
NGM
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 73
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Altis = 195/65-15 Bridgestone Turanza ER300 as stock. You can get XM2 or Michelin P3ST in this size.
Nikhil, I am going to change tyre for my Altis with stock size 195/65-15.Is upgrade to 205/65-15 recommended or better to stick to stock size itself ?

Any disadvantage if i upgrade?
NGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 17:38   #393
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,579
Thanked: 2,603 Times
Default Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Nikhil, I am going to change tyre for my Altis with stock size 195/65-15.Is upgrade to 205/65-15 recommended or better to stick to stock size itself ?

Any disadvantage if i upgrade?
Altis works well with 205/65-15. Moderator vid6639 is using it on his car but Yokohama Earth 1 and is quite happy.

Disadvantage is slight increase in body roll.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 18:23   #394
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,839
Thanked: 17,188 Times
Default Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Nikhil, I am going to change tyre for my Altis with stock size 195/65-15.Is upgrade to 205/65-15 recommended or better to stick to stock size itself ?

Any disadvantage if i upgrade?
Here you go. As Nikhil posted I changed to Yokohama Earth 1 205/65-15 a few months back:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3386205 (Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India))
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 09:37   #395
BHPian
 
ank.nsit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 362
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

I have been driving MRF ZLO (205/60/R15 in DZire ZDi) for 2,000 KMs now, and I found the tyres to be better than JK/GY/MRF other models in all possible ways. They are silent & grippy. Good value for money. Costed me 22,000 for 4 pieces.

But ride quality wise I found Michelin XM2 way ahead of these, but then the puncture issues in XM2 cannot be ignored as well.
ank.nsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 15:30   #396
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Thanks for the reply Nikhil. As you know Corolla is not blessed dynamically, soft suspension, body roll, otherwise 195/60-15 is a good size for most of the usage but was keen on knowing if there is significant advantage / disadvantage if I opt for 205/55-15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
No major disadvantage. Ride comfort reduces and ground clearance goes down a bit.
Am just curious..I see people making statements like this all the time and have always wondered how true this is. As long as you stay within the same rim size, and within say +-2% tyre circumference, all tyres in that rim size will have roughly the same sidewall height. So why should going to a lower profile of tyre result in reduced ride comfort?

If anything, shouldn't ride comfort go up a bit with lower profile tyres as the tyre is wider and hence there is greater mass of tyre to absorb impact? Or am I just missing something in my thinking

Last edited by radiokidb : 3rd October 2014 at 15:32.
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 15:10   #397
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 104
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Am just curious..I see people making statements like this all the time and have always wondered how true this is. As long as you stay within the same rim size, and within say +-2% tyre circumference, all tyres in that rim size will have roughly the same sidewall height. So why should going to a lower profile of tyre result in reduced ride comfort?

If anything, shouldn't ride comfort go up a bit with lower profile tyres as the tyre is wider and hence there is greater mass of tyre to absorb impact? Or am I just missing something in my thinking
radiokidb,
Impacts and road irregularities are dampened mostly by the sidewall. This is why low profile tyres are found on faster and higher powered cars for better handling (not ride comfort). They are stiffer and have lesser sideways flex which enables better cornering ability.
bharatsomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 01:24   #398
BHPian
 
LP640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Munich
Posts: 97
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Guys, took the ZLOs from Mumbai to Leh-Ladakh. All 4 tyres on my Elantra were MRF ZLOs.

The ZLOs performed very well (with one problem discussed at the end). On the Mumbai to Srinagar drive, the performance was reliable, smooth and comfortable. In the Extremely bad and rocky roads of Zozilla, I did mistakenly drive the ZLO over sharp pointy stones(twice or thrice). But none of the tires suffered any sidewall damage. Also there we many occasions when the road was very narrow and one has to take 2 wheels off the road into stones. Sometimes you have to save one side and sacrifice/risk the other side in order to cross an obstacle. Also drove the ZLO in snow and super slush. Grip levels were extremely good on slushy uphills and stony uphill hair pins.

All of that aside, the ride was always comfortable. Also did not face any single puncture in the entire 6500km ruthless trip. :-)

About the one single problem, the tires lost a lot of rubber! When I had started from Mumbai, there was a lot of tread left, but by the time I came back, a lot of tyre was worn out, especially the front ones. I did get the alignment and rotation done in Jammu once. Also I was running on coil spring boosters. So, I do not know what was the cause of the excessive tire wear. I could have been the super harsh stony terrain too.

I all, very happy with the ZLOs. Very reliable allrounder inspite of being a performance oriented soft tire.

Last edited by LP640 : 6th October 2014 at 01:26.
LP640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 12:29   #399
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
radiokidb,
Impacts and road irregularities are dampened mostly by the sidewall. This is why low profile tyres are found on faster and higher powered cars for better handling (not ride comfort). They are stiffer and have lesser sideways flex which enables better cornering ability.
Yes am well aware of that. If you read my post fully you will see that I am talking about one specific car and the same rim size.

I will repeat once again for clarity. I regularly see people saying going from 165/80/14 to 185/70/14 on a swift or 175/65/15 to 195/60/15 on a City, etc will result in worse ride quality.

My question is why would it? As long as you stay on the same rim size and do the right upsize, the sidewall height remains the same. If anything, ride quality should improve as the wider tyre has greater mass of rubber to absorb the impact.

Last edited by radiokidb : 7th October 2014 at 12:34.
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 12:59   #400
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,423
Thanked: 1,155 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

40000 KM (23 months) update:

The tyres are now beginning to show the age. Treads are left for another 5-7k kms and the noise levels have increased. However, there seems to be no substantial change in the road grip.

They had no punctures till last month but suddenly I suffered 3 of them in last 4 weeks. All of them are due to screw and nails.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 13:48   #401
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 104
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
Yes am well aware of that. If you read my post fully you will see that I am talking about one specific car and the same rim size.

I will repeat once again for clarity. I regularly see people saying going from 165/80/14 to 185/70/14 on a swift or 175/65/15 to 195/60/15 on a City, etc will result in worse ride quality.

My question is why would it? As long as you stay on the same rim size and do the right upsize, the sidewall height remains the same. If anything, ride quality should improve as the wider tyre has greater mass of rubber to absorb the impact.
Although I myself do not feel that the change in ride quality is very great, here are the reasons you are looking for:

1) A wider tyre covers a greater surface area of the road in rolling and will hence go over more of the undulations and debris on a road.

2) Assuming that the mass is higher, when hitting the likes of a speed breaker, there is more momentum in the tyre that needs to be damped out by the suspension (although this may not always be a bad thing with cars that have rigid setups). Still, increased suspension judder is considered "bad ride".

3) Typically, the wider tyres are installed on the same rim when not upsizing wheels, this causes an increased side-flexing when cornering as the sidewall flexes a lot more than in the case of a narrower tyre.

4) Applied pressure to the ground is spread across a greater width, so when going over an uneven surface while cornering, wider tyres have a greater tendency to 'jump sideways' which is arguably an attribute of bad ride.

That said, there are also some advantages to a wider tyre for better ride quality:

1) It may enable the vehicle to go over a small pit in the tarmac without 'falling-in'

2) The lower applied pressure in the width enables it to take a hit in 1 spot with lesser effect to the remaining patch (slightly more pliancy).

3) It can tolerate more tread deformation in the case of debris/gravel finding its way under the tyre.

All in all, it is quite a moot point and for those looking for wider tyres, this would hardly be a dissuading factor.
bharatsomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 14:08   #402
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Need your help-- I had changed Ertiga's stock MRF 185/65/15 to 195/65/15 Yokohoma A Drives 2 years back. The tyres have run 36k since, and on course for another 10-15k looking at the tread remaining. Satisfied with comfort, grip etc, but punctures are frequent which is really frustrating. Looking at the ZLO, is there a 195/65/15 available and the price. Else, do let me know other sizes. (I would not want to go beyond 195).
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 18:52   #403
BHPian
 
gautamkhadse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Need your help-- I had changed Ertiga's stock MRF 185/65/15 to 195/65/15 Yokohoma A Drives 2 years back. The tyres have run 36k since, and on course for another 10-15k looking at the tread remaining. Satisfied with comfort, grip etc, but punctures are frequent which is really frustrating. Looking at the ZLO, is there a 195/65/15 available and the price. Else, do let me know other sizes. (I would not want to go beyond 195).
Me and Parag sachania have upgraded to 205 60 r15 on our Ertigas . He got MIchelins XM2 and I got ZLOs . He paid 7500 per tyre for MIchellin and I paid 5100 for MRF ZLO . The ZLO is a fantastic tyre . Doesnt cause any drop in mileage . And the comfort levels are just amazing . The ZLOs are also super silent .
gautamkhadse is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 18:59   #404
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Me and Parag sachania have upgraded to 205 60 r15 on our Ertigas . He got MIchelins XM2 and I got ZLOs . He paid 7500 per tyre for MIchellin and I paid 5100 for MRF ZLO . The ZLO is a fantastic tyre . Doesnt cause any drop in mileage . And the comfort levels are just amazing . The ZLOs are also super silent .
Thanks Gautam. Overall good feedback. Do let me know ZLO's tolerance level for punctures. If you can rate them poor-avg-good

Last edited by xotiq : 8th October 2014 at 19:00.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 19:03   #405
BHPian
 
gautamkhadse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 249
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: MRF ZLO Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Thanks Gautam. Overall good feedback. Do let me know ZLO's tolerance level for punctures. If you can rate them poor-avg-good
Had them on my old punto , for a year , before I sold the car . Then I got them on my Ertiga , and have had them for 6 months now . They soften up after a few 100 kms and after that the ride is absolutely plush .

No puncture , ( Touchwood )
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MRF ZSLK eco-friendly, silica tyres StarScream Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 19 9th August 2016 12:08
MRF ZLX Tyres RSR Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 6 26th November 2015 19:32
MRF!!Tyres of the18th century humyum Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 24 8th September 2008 19:27
76mm Honda performance pistons, baleno performance cam & NOS kit for sale. mclaren1885 Shifting gears 6 16th September 2007 14:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks