Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 18th November 2011, 18:22   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Chevy Captiva - Different Sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have no idea about that. :(

Here is a pic of what I have.

Also, they are of a brand called Kumho. Never heard of it before. But performed satisfactorily so far, no complains.
This is weird. My friend has a Captiva. It has 235/65/R17 Hankook tyres.
Also, I have seen many Captivas here in Bangalore with 235/65/R17 Hankook tyres. I also recently saw one brand new Captiva ready for delivery at the dealer with 235/65/R17 Hankook tyres. Does this size depend on the variant? I don't think so.

(Here in Bangalore, 235/65/R17s are not easily available and are expensive. Whereas, 235/60/R17 is easily available. So, maybe people opt for 235/60/R17. I have seen one or two Captivas with 235/60/R17.)

Last edited by Dolphin : 18th November 2011 at 18:28.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 19:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
This is weird. My friend has a Captiva. It has 235/65/R17 Hankook tyres.
Also, I have seen many Captivas here in Bangalore with 235/65/R17 Hankook tyres. I also recently saw one brand new Captiva ready for delivery at the dealer with 235/65/R17 Hankook tyres.

That itself is news to me. Although I haven't looked at one other than mine long enough to take note of its tyres.

Does this size depend on the variant? I don't think so.

Neither do I. Maybe it differs with respect to the dealer, what he decides to give. Providing 235/60/R17 might fetch him more commission. Also, Kumho might be cheaper than Hankook, I guess.
I don't know about the availability and cost of 235/65/R17 tyres in Goa. Probably they are hard to procure here as well.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 20:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks GTO. That really cleared up a lot of doubts.
And thanks for mentioning the tool too. It really is awesome.

This has been a worthwhile experience. Will always make it a point to check the spare tyre next time I take delivery of a car.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 21:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
I have no idea about that. :(

Here is a pic of what I have.

Attachment 844052

Also, they are of a brand called Kumho. Never heard of it before. But performed satisfactorily so far, no complains.

Attachment 844053

Kumho is perfectly acceptable...do not worry on that count

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 10:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thats, space saver norm,across the globe and manufacturers.
i am surprised you didnt know about it.
Apologies but my thought on this is different and I would classify this as 'cheating'.
It is frustrating to discover such things.
subbarp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 19:27   #21
BHPian

I second Akshay on this. Nothing to be classified as Áheating' Subbarp. I checked out the Audi A4 last evening and even it has a smaller dia spare tire. It's a norm across the globe.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 19:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nope this is really not cheating per se. It is just the international norm given their conditions there.
However, all these manufacturers may need to view India differently and adapt to the real world needs here - because punctures are a reality in this part of the world - at least with greater frequency than they may happen in Europe or other Developed parts of the world with better road infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
Apologies but my thought on this is different and

I would classify this as 'cheating'.
It is frustrating to discover such things.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 00:46   #23
BHPian

^^

More than a norm, I think it has something to do with the shear size of the tyre ! A 235/60 R17 tyre is BIG . Most of the German / European cars have 17", 18"+ rims as standard . Now a days where every single mm in a car is utilized and cars are growing bigger and heavier , I feel that they can't afford to give away valuable floor space to a "spare tyre" which in their view is gonna be used only in case of emergency.
Though the situation might be different in India, I don't think this is going to change. Might as well get used to it and stop complaining .
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 12:24   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nope this is really not cheating per se. It is just the international norm given their conditions there.
However, all these manufacturers may need to view India differently and adapt to the real world needs here - because punctures are a reality in this part of the world - at least with greater frequency than they may happen in Europe or other Developed parts of the world with better road infrastructure.

In that case, I definitely want 5 similar set of wheels being provided (including alloys) and not willing to go by the global norm. I think I should be able to demand what I want if I am paying 15-20L +. I do not want to do Two changes, one for replacing the punctured tyre and another for putting the correct sized and similar looking tyre back.
Other purchasers in the market could differ, but this would be one of the criterion I would have for a purchase.
subbarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 12:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

these differently sized spares are called space saver tyres. thats why they are smaller.
I think you might find that even if they give you what you want (which I do believe to be a bit difficult as well as expensive), you might find the proper sized spare may not fit in the space allocated to it.
a friend told me recently that someone bought an X1 in coorg where the roads are terrible. He demanded and got from BMW a proper sized spare and alloy at some humongous price. But once it came, there was some trouble in fitting it into the space allocated within the vehicle. think on it before you proceed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp View Post
In that case, I definitely want 5 similar set of wheels being provided (including alloys) and not willing to go by the global norm. I think I should be able to demand what I want if I am paying 15-20L +. I do not want to do Two changes, one for replacing the punctured tyre and another for putting the correct sized and similar looking tyre back.
Other purchasers in the market could differ, but this would be one of the criterion I would have for a purchase.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 16:51   #26
BHPian

Red face 4 17" alloys and stepney 16" need advice

Recently adopted a pre-worshipped Skoda Superb and the previous owner had changed the alloys to the V6 version 17" and the spare tyre (which came with the car is 16"). Is it advisable to use the 16" rim for shorter distances? Would it not affect the stability of the car?

The problem is, the spare tyre compartment can fit only the 16" wheels.

What to do?
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Default Re: 4 17" alloys and stepney 16" need advice

Well, my Scoprio has been running on 16 inchers (235/70R16) for many years now, while the stepney is the original 15'' (235/75R15). It makes no difference at all.

Its a similar story with my Jazz and City. Both of them run on 205/60R15 on all four tires, while the spare is of the much smaller stock size 175/65R15. Again, there is no perceptible difference when using the spare, even at three digit speeds.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th April 2016 at 17:12.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 17:17   #28
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: 4 17" alloys and stepney 16" need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Recently adopted a pre-worshipped Skoda Superb and the previous owner had changed the alloys to the V6 version 17" and the spare tyre (which came with the car is 16"). Is it advisable to use the 16" rim for shorter distances? Would it not affect the stability of the car?

The problem is, the spare tyre compartment can fit only the 16" wheels.

What to do?
It is fine. The 17" alloys will be 225/50 R17, while the 16" tyre size will be 205/55. The difference is small, and it is fine to use for short periods of time.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2016, 17:46   #29
BHPian

Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Ah yes.. my 17 inches are 225/45 R17 and my spare is 205/55 R17.
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 00:18   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Ah yes.. my 17 inches are 225/45 R17 and my spare is 205/55 R17.
Definitely not an issue, if you use the wheel just as a spare. Do not try to use it indefinitely after a flat and at high speeds. As long as you are ok with those 2 limits, it will be fine.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote