Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 13:19   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,668 Times
Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Ah yes.. my 17 inches are 225/45 R17 and my spare is 205/55 R17.
Please confirm if they are 225/45 or 225/50. I'm pretty sure I remember the Superb coming with 225/50 R17 tyres on the V6 model. Do check the drivers door frame or fuel lid cover where tyre pressures are mentioned. They also mention different tyre sizes. See if for 17" 225/45 or whether 225/50 is mentioned?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 12:20   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

As long as the OD of the tyres is the same it's ok. Different OD tyres on the driving wheels may be problematic IMHO
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016, 15:15   #33
BHPian
 
razorBlades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 164
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Please confirm if they are 225/45 or 225/50. I'm pretty sure I remember the Superb coming with 225/50 R17 tyres on the V6 model. Do check the drivers door frame or fuel lid cover where tyre pressures are mentioned. They also mention different tyre sizes. See if for 17" 225/45 or whether 225/50 is mentioned?
It's 225/50. Have attached the pressures pic
Attached Thumbnails
Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel-imag0285.jpg  

razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 03:32   #34
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 888 Times
Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Please confirm if they are 225/45 or 225/50. I'm pretty sure I remember the Superb coming with 225/50 R17 tyres on the V6 model. Do check the drivers door frame or fuel lid cover where tyre pressures are mentioned. They also mention different tyre sizes. See if for 17" 225/45 or whether 225/50 is mentioned?

The V6 models came with 225/45 R17 as OE fitment (all 5 tyres).


Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
It's 225/50. Have attached the pressures pic
I hope your car is the second gen Superb. Unless it is the V6, the spare tyre would be 205/55 R16, not 205/55 R17(improper size).225/45 R17 is also a proper upgrade sizes for both second gen Superb and Laura. Stock tyres on the 16" Lauras and Superbs were 205/55 R16.

205/55 R16, 225/50 R16, 225/45 R17 are all closely matched & accepted sizes for the tyres and thus you should have no trouble in maintaining the first size as a spare tyre.


Regards,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 18:14   #35
BHPian
 
razorBlades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 164
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I hope your car is the second gen Superb. Unless it is the V6, the spare tyre would be 205/55 R16, not 205/55 R17(improper size).225/45 R17 is also a proper upgrade sizes for both second gen Superb and Laura. Stock tyres on the 16" Lauras and Superbs were 205/55 R16.

205/55 R16, 225/50 R16, 225/45 R17 are all closely matched & accepted sizes for the tyres and thus you should have no trouble in maintaining the first size as a spare tyre.

Regards,
Avinash
Thanks Avinash. Yes you are correct, my last two posts are wrong and I am not able to find the edit button.

my 17 inches are 225/45 R17
my spare is 205/55 R16

Besides, I took the car to Ignite and he said, one of my alloys have a small damage, which could seep the air outside. He suggested to change all the alloys and the tyre. I am now finding for options, but I am planning to keep the alloys as the damage is not that bad afaik.

He did have a 5 set of BBS 235/40 R18, which he had removed from a Laura. He is quoting 80k for it including the tyres (which are 6 years old). Still in dilemma on this choice. Even if I get new tyres, it might cost me minimum of 45-50k and this deal sounds good with the BBS and the tyre has another 10k kms left on it. What do you recommend?
razorBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 01:59   #36
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 888 Times
Default Re: Differently-sized Spare Tyre and Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Thanks Avinash. Yes you are correct, my last two posts are wrong and I am not able to find the edit button.

my 17 inches are 225/45 R17
my spare is 205/55 R16

Besides, I took the car to Ignite and he said, one of my alloys have a small damage, which could seep the air outside. He suggested to change all the alloys and the tyre. I am now finding for options, but I am planning to keep the alloys as the damage is not that bad afaik.

He did have a 5 set of BBS 235/40 R18, which he had removed from a Laura. He is quoting 80k for it including the tyres (which are 6 years old). Still in dilemma on this choice. Even if I get new tyres, it might cost me minimum of 45-50k and this deal sounds good with the BBS and the tyre has another 10k kms left on it. What do you recommend?

The correct size in 18" is 225/40 R18, though 235/40 R18 is also acceptable.

Personally I don't recommend the 18" on a Superb. You have to run quite a low profile and will require extra caution always to not damage the rim or tyre. I don't see any benefit apart from cosmetic ones. BBS alloys would shed some unsprung weight, but likely that the 17" wheels of Skoda weighs the same as an 18" from BBS. Stick to 17" is my recommendation.

I am not sure which brand of tyres you have on the car currently. There are good number of top spec tyres in 225/45 R17 size (Yoko advan sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 3, Hankook S1 Evo 2 K117 etc). They can make a significant difference if current tyres are regular ones.

Having a 6 year old tyre, irrespective of tread depth left is not advisable. Natural aging would have made the rubber loose its qualities of grip, load/heat resistance etc. So buying those BBS rims will require new tyres also.

Why not replace only the single damaged alloy? Rather buying used 18" rims for 80k, you can have new 17" from other reputed brands


Regards,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: GOOD Clothes for Plus Sized Males and Females frankmehta Shifting gears 74 11th October 2014 01:34
The Spiti Loop > done differently - 7900kms jaysmokesleaves Travelogues 189 28th September 2009 08:07
Pics: Silver Cayenne V6 and White Cayenne with spare wheel behind (update 13/05) Dippy Super-Cars & Imports in India 48 26th June 2008 21:57
Swift tire pressure and fixing spare alloy wheel doubt ece2k2 Technical Stuff 24 21st March 2008 21:57
Rear View Mirror of 2.2 VTT DICOR and spare wheel cover clamp sunishsamuel Modifications & Accessories 5 20th March 2008 19:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks