Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 11:57   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manjeri
Posts: 87
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

hi,

I have booked a TATA Grande GX from SkyHigh Motors, Perinthelmana, Kerala.The delivery of the vehicle will be on 28 th this month. I have asked them to replace the stock rims and tyres with the alloy that comes with Safari VX. They are charging me an additional 26k for the alloy change. Will this is any way affect the performance of the Vehicle?

The tyre size for the TATA Grande is 235/70R 16. This is the same for TATA safari as well.

Thanks

Drmessiah
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 12:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,738
Thanked: 4,316 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

There should not any difference at all.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 13:02   #3
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,152
Thanked: 2,457 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Actually while you are at it

Why not fit the 235/65/R17" Aria tyes / Rims

Yes the tyres and rims will cost a bit more. But you will get a firmer and more controlled ride (grande ride is anyways too soft). Plus even better looks.

It is a legitimate tyre and rim upsize. Ask them for that aswell . The only thing is that since this involved even tyre exchange this may cost you upto 10K more. If you do try it. Don't for Goodyears in R17, Bridgestones are better.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 13:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

While at it, change the stock tyres to something better . Grande looks nice is wider tyre
There's a 245 option with Yoko IIRC.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 16:04   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manjeri
Posts: 87
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Actually while you are at it

Why not fit the 235/65/R17" Aria tyes / Rims

Yes the tyres and rims will cost a bit more. But you will get a firmer and more controlled ride (grande ride is anyways too soft). Plus even better looks.

It is a legitimate tyre and rim upsize. Ask them for that aswell . The only thing is that since this involved even tyre exchange this may cost you upto 10K more. If you do try it. Don't for Goodyears in R17, Bridgestones are better.
If the stock car comes with a good year tyre we stick on to it with along with the safari alloys. if it comes with apollo tyres, then we will be exchanging it with Bridgestone tyres. I am on a very restricted budget so planning to stick on with the above mentioned set up.
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 09:42   #6
BHPian
 
sierrakamat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

why do you want to go for the safari alloys at that price when you get amuch wider choice within 20k from neo and the likes?
have a good look in the local alloy shops they will give you a much better deal
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 09:51   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manjeri
Posts: 87
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
why do you want to go for the safari alloys at that price when you get amuch wider choice within 20k from neo and the likes?
have a good look in the local alloy shops they will give you a much better deal
Your are right about it, and they have a wider choice of designs as well. But for me I like the OE looks.
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 10:05   #8
BHPian
 
sierrakamat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

well i fitted te safari oe alloys didnt do much to enhance the looks so settled for the neo punch design
Attached Thumbnails
Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX-31102011235.jpg  

sierrakamat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 16:36   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 347
Thanked: 439 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
well i fitted te safari oe alloys didnt do much to enhance the looks so settled for the neo punch design
I have been looking to change my wheels to alloy for a while in my Grande MK II and I find that your choice looks good. I will find out how much it costs in Chennai.
Btw, how old is your vehicle. It is really gleaming
arulpeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 20:54   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ashutoshb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 617 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Mine are slightly wider (7") wheels with a negative offset. Look good, but the downside is, even while retaining the stock tyre size, they foul with the wheel wells, even after removing the frond mud flaps. So, my suggestion, stick to the stock tyre and wheel size .

ashutoshb is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 08:37   #11
BHPian
 
sierrakamat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 246
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

thanks arulpreem my vehicle is regd in 2010 march the neos cost me 18k with fitting the dealer was not willing to buy my stock rims back so i have them with me.
ashutoshb our rims are the same size even mine fouled with the flaps all you havre to do is trim the flaps from the inside edge no need to remove them.
by the way drmessiah what spec and which color are you buying slowly the number of grandes seems to be creeping up on t bhp.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:36   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manjeri
Posts: 87
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
thanks arulpreem my vehicle is regd in 2010 march the neos cost me 18k with fitting the dealer was not willing to buy my stock rims back so i have them with me.
ashutoshb our rims are the same size even mine fouled with the flaps all you havre to do is trim the flaps from the inside edge no need to remove them.
by the way drmessiah what spec and which color are you buying slowly the number of grandes seems to be creeping up on t bhp.
@Sierrakamat, I am getting the latest revised edition Tata Grande GX trim, Our first preference was castle grey and second choice of color was Artic Silver. The accessories which the dealer will put on the stock car will be the safari alloys, reverse sensor and camera. All these will be of coarse charged. the freebies will be underbody antirust treatment coating, extra fancy mats, mud flabs and a 3M exterior polish treatment with warranty. The last i heard from the dealer was the vehicle has been punched in Pune and loaded in the truck. The color is Castle Grey. BS4, 8 Seater.
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,738
Thanked: 4,316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Mine are slightly wider (7") wheels with a negative offset. Look good, but the downside is, even while retaining the stock tyre size, they foul with the wheel wells ..,
Is it because of the negative offset ? Did you check before you selected this set ?

But a very nice set of alloys there.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:14   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Manjeri
Posts: 87
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
@Sierrakamat, I am getting the latest revised edition Tata Grande GX trim, Our first preference was castle grey and second choice of color was Artic Silver. The accessories which the dealer will put on the stock car will be the safari alloys, reverse sensor and camera. All these will be of coarse charged. the freebies will be underbody antirust treatment coating, extra fancy mats, mud flabs and a 3M exterior polish treatment with warranty. The last i heard from the dealer was the vehicle has been punched in Pune and loaded in the truck. The color is Castle Grey. BS4, 8 Seater.
One technical issue has come up with me putting the safari alloys. The Tata Motor people say that if I put alloys or other tyres apart from the one which is on the vehicle from factory. It can void my warranty. Very confusing. So I guess I ll stick on with the factory spec for some time.
drmessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2011, 10:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Safari alloy wheels for Sumo Grande GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmessiah View Post
One technical issue has come up with me putting the safari alloys. The Tata Motor people say that if I put alloys or other tyres apart from the one which is on the vehicle from factory. It can void my warranty. Very confusing. So I guess I ll stick on with the factory spec for some time.
If you stick with recommended specs, it should be fine. That means no negative offset,wider tyres etc.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safari Vs Sumo Grande - A face off, how they stand... shatrughna Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 54 11th August 2010 23:09
Tata Safari or Tata Sumo Grande orrr... what?? EDIT: Finally it is a Mahindra Scorpio gshanky SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 90 29th January 2010 20:39
SCOOP! New Tata Sumo Picture. EDIT : Now launched as Sumo Grande MillionSwords The Indian Car Scene 217 26th October 2009 20:16
Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX drmessiah SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 11 20th April 2009 18:16
Sumo Grande GX or Scorpio DX or Safari LX sudhirlp SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 44 15th April 2008 10:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks