Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 20th March 2006, 10:16   #1
BHPian

Question Help::Alloys on zen, performance and mileage change?

Hi BHPians,

I need some help on allys and tyre change. Infact i wanted to know the change and effect in performance wise and in mileage.

- If i put 14" in the ratio 175/60/r14... howz this goanna change in the performace and the mileage, improves?

(guide me to the correct sizes if hte profile i gave is not matching

- Or 165/60/r13 with alloys, in what ways it's goanna effect in performance and mileage?

As far as i've heard about putting alloys, it improves the mileage. So experts over here please help me to understand more on the alloys and tyre sizes. for my ZEN LXi 2003 model.

Also if you could help me out with the rite brand of alloys and their costs in bangalore. It would be great if you can get me some details of very gud dealers in bangalore

NOTE: Now i've idea of changing alloys only, coz money matters. I just wanted to know about 14" also coz if in case i get a big pocket i can go 4 that.
~~VinZ~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 13:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~VinZ~~
(guide me to the correct sizes if hte profile i gave is not matching

- Or 165/60/r13 with alloys, in what ways it's goanna effect in performance and mileage?
Its been proved as the best tire upsize in the forum for a zen in all aspects except for the ride quality which will go for a toss but u will love it on the highways
Quote:
If i put 14" in the ratio 175/60/r14... howz this goanna change in the performace and the mileage, improves?
Wrong upsize...correct upsize 175/50-14....but i wouldn't recommend those...
Quote:
Also if you could help me out with the rite brand of alloys and their costs in bangalore. It would be great if you can get me some details of very gud dealers in bangalore
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-cities-3.html (Car Accessories Shops In Various Cities)
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2006, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Hei kpzen, Thanks for your reply.

The main thing i wanna know here is what would be the change in performance and mileage?...would be gr8 if you can gimme an idea on this.

Old 20th March 2006, 14:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

With 165/60-13 there wont be much diff in mileage assuming u dont rev it hard everyday...
Handling will improve for sure...

Last edited by kpzen : 20th March 2006 at 14:29.
Old 20th March 2006, 14:31   #5
BHPian

dont bang me with those tech stuffs used in cars. I'm a newbie in this site and about cars too.

Started knowing the car more in detail from this forum only.

Mine is 2003 ZEN LXi. have not dont any kinda mods or upgradations as of now.
Old 20th March 2006, 15:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dont bang me with those tech stuffs used in cars. I'm a newbie in this site and about cars too.

Started knowing the car more in detail from this forum only.

Mine is 2003 ZEN LXi. have not dont any kinda mods or upgradations as of now.
Dont worry no1 bangs anyone here....
Its just knowledge sharing out here...

My suggestion upgrade to 165/60-13 Potenza GIII rubber n 5J alloys....

keep posting....

KP
Old 20th March 2006, 16:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Dont worry no1 bangs anyone here....
Its just knowledge sharing out here...

My suggestion upgrade to 165/60-13 Potenza GIII rubber n 5J alloys....

keep posting....

KP
Thanks, i know there is banging here and knowledge is what i wanted.

after going thro so many posts the same things even i thot about. "165/60-13 Potenza GIII rubber n 5J alloys...."

but before doing anything on ma wheels and tyres. i like to know about the cons and prons behind this.

Likethe effect in the FE and performance... then in the handling view.. and possible difference dats goanna make to me...

then later on comes the the best alloy makers in market.. i heard Auras are good..
Old 20th March 2006, 19:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i like to know about the cons and prons behind this.
Hehehe... a little confused, Lol
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 11:05   #9
BHPian

All experts in here need to clear ma confusion thats why i am here bro!!
Old 21st March 2006, 18:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Of course man, we learn something new everyday

Regarding alloys, aura is a good indian brand.

Advantages :
*Cost(though iv noticed some imported prices are similar) *Replacement availible easily in case you need them.

Imported rims give you some very nice (different designs) whereas I feel most indian ones are very plain.

Anyway read up on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...rims-ones.html (Indian vs Imported Rims.....which ones?)
and decide whats best for you.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Last edited by s0uljah : 21st March 2006 at 18:01.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 16:53   #11
BHPian

Cool ZEN: best upsize and FE for ZEN ...

Now. what would be the best upsize for me in ZEN .. for bangalore city condition ....

165/60-13 ? ..

and what about 14" ? ...
Old 23rd March 2006, 17:10   #12
BHPian

Vinz buddy, I have used 165/60/13 Bridgestone Potenza G3s on my Zen with 5J Alloys. The grip on the G3s is exceptional especially when it is wet. No issues whatsoever except a drop in mileage by about 1km to a litre.

If you can compromise on ride, go in for 195/45/14, they look very good. The only choice in tyres easily avaialable at this size is Hankook Ventus. You will need to stiffen your suspension though. Let me know if you need any help with sourcing\modding your suspension in Bangalore.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 17:19   #13
Team-BHP Support

About the fuel efficiency:

Theoretically a car with alloy wheels should give better fuel effeciency due to alloys being lighter than the steel stock wheels.
But very often when one goes in for a tyre and wheel change we tend to go for bigger wheels and wider tyres which nullify the weight loss due to alloys, and sometimes can even bring down your fuel eficiency marginally.

basically, weight lost due to use of alloys = weight put on by using bigger wheels and wider tyres.

Ofcourse if you go for some serious upsize expect a loss of a km or two in your fuel efficiency.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 23rd March 2006 at 17:20.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

i have been using 165/60r13 potenza g3 with 5j aura rims....i have been getting 13-14 kpl in bangalore with AC ....but i stick to 2000 rpm and gear changes are around 1500..

the best i have got with these tires on the highways is around 18-19 kpl at 100+speeds and with 4 people onboard....

the grip is awesome...
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 10:37   #15
BHPian

One of our bhp-ians has taken the 195\45\14 route for his E-Zen. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...tml#post196755

Satya, since you have driven both, I think you should be able to tell us more about the ride quality. Was there too much of a difference? Will he need to be careful while going over pot-holes\speed-breakers etc? Also were his tyres Hankook Ventus? The only other tyre I have seen of this size is Toyo but it was sourced from the US.

Also, I checked the upsize using the tyre-calculator available at http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...yre_bible.html and it is well within the recommended upsize in terms of overall rolling dia.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote