Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 14th August 2007, 15:08   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Well I need to change the tyres of my m800 (2002). The car has clocked 39000 kms. Don't know what is the approx run of stock tyres. But today morning I saw the steel wires and thread weaving of front left tyre. I think it needs to be replaced immediately. My 5th tyre is almost unused. I have few queries now.

1) Which company tyres should I go for ? I don't want an upsize.

2) Can I replace only the front tyres, as other two in the back seems fine.
Is it recommended ?

3) What happens to the old tyres ? Do they buy them or they are just scrap ? Thanks.
1. What size are you running 145/70 R12 or 145/80 R12?

2. Yes, you can do that provided the rear tyres are in a usable condition.

3. They'll buy them for a pittance.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 15:12   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
1. What size are you running 145/70 R12 or 145/80 R12?
Check the existing tyres as well as manual its 145/70 R12 ( good year )

Quote:
2. Yes, you can do that provided the rear tyres are in a usable condition.
yup .. look ok to me as the tread is very much clear ( else it can be changed anytime )

Quote:
3. They'll buy them for a pittance.
so I can dump them at his shop

Which brand should I buy. Good year again ?
can I mix 5th goodyear tyre ( almost new ) with some other brand ?

Thanks.

Last edited by navdeep : 14th August 2007 at 15:14.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 15:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check the existing tyres as well as manual its 145/70 R12 ( good year )
Well then see what options you have in Bridgestone also, Michelin & Yokohama have no options in your size.

If you want you could upgrade to 145/80 since there is a Bridgestone Turanza in that option but for that I would suggest replacing all tyres.

Quote:
yup .. look ok to me as the tread is very much clear ( else it can be changed anytime )
Good then stick to them at the rear end.

Quote:
Which brand should I buy. Good year again ?
can I mix 5th goodyear tyre ( almost new ) with some other brand ?
I would suggest let the 5th remain as the spare only or use it in the rear with the other Goodyear's. Matching two tyres of different brands on the same axle is not recommended.
Old 14th August 2007, 15:45   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Should the brand new tyres goto the front or rear. ( sorry repeating the ques again )
Old 14th August 2007, 15:51   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should the brand new tyres goto the front or rear. ( sorry repeating the ques again )
Front .
Old 14th August 2007, 15:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Front .
Thanks Ishaan,

I think I will go with a regular good year 145/70 R12, it will sync with existing tyres.
Old 14th August 2007, 15:58   #67
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Most local garages follow this practice, which used to be widespread in the past. But this is not recommended by most car manufacturers today, and my Hyundai manual recommends putting the new tyres at the rear.

Remember that the present tyres are now at least 5 years old and have been in use at the rear for 39000 kms. Even if there is some tread left, the rubber would have hardened considerably, leading to less grip. Fitting brand new tyres to the front means that the front tyres will have a substantially higher grip; especially if the new tyres are of the grippier variety. This could cause oversteer while cornering, especially in wet conditions, when the rear could slide out of control.

One more point; if the decision is to go tubeless, then all tyres should be replaced. But tubeless tyres may not be advisable with 5 year old steel rims, which could be rusted and/or bent.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2007, 16:01   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Most local garages follow this practice, which used to be widespread in the past. But this is not recommended by most car manufacturers today, and my Hyundai manual recommends putting the new tyres at the rear.

Remember that the present tyres are now at least 5 years old and have been in use at the rear for 39000 kms. Even if there is some tread left, the rubber would have hardened considerably, leading to less grip. Fitting brand new tyres to the front means that the front tyres will have a substantially higher grip; especially if the new tyres are of the grippier variety. This could cause oversteer while cornering, especially in wet conditions, when the rear could slide out of control.

One more point; if the decision is to go tubeless, then all tyres should be replaced. But tubeless tyres may not be advisable with 5 year old steel rims, which could be rusted and/or bent.
We are running on two different ideologies .. which is better ?
No I am not going tubeless.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:10   #69
rks
BANNED

Quote:
We are running on two different ideologies .. which is better ?
It is basically up to you. If you put the new tyres at the front, you should keep in mind the possbility of oversteer, especially under wet conditions. If you are aware of your car's limitations, you should be OK. The manual generally recommends the safest alternative for all types of drivers/roads.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:13   #70
BHPian

Brakes are really bad in M800 .. better grip ( new tyres ) = more effective braking, is a big plus for me.
Old 14th August 2007, 16:25   #71
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Brakes are really bad in M800 .. better grip ( new tyres ) = more effective braking, is a big plus for me.
Oversteer is very much on the cards even while braking, as much as it is while cornering. Your new front tyres could grip the road perfectly and make demands that the rear tyres cannot meet, and you may find the rear sliding out of control. If you keep that in mind and know how to handle your car in such situations, you might be OK.

This is an issue mainly for highway driving. For driving around at 50-60 kmph in the city, you need have no worries.
Old 14th August 2007, 18:31   #72
rks
BANNED

The JK Tyres website deals with the issue:

WELCOME

Quote:
Many dealers and customers alike are of the view that when two tyres on a car are to be replaced , they should be fitted in front. This was the case few years ago, when it was felt that conrtrol of the vehicle was more critical to front deflations and therefore new and less vulnerable tyres should be fitted in front.

But the modern recommendation by tyre industry is "New tyres to rear". This applies to both front and rear driven vehicles. Primarily its justification is increased safety particularly in wet conditions. Partly worn tyres have poor water drainage, leading to aquaplaning and thus tendency to oversteer and loss of control. Similarly straight line braking in wet can be adversely affected.
Old 16th August 2007, 16:12   #73
rks
BANNED

Here is a website that gives a more detailed and technical explanation for why new tyres should go to rear:

Tire Tech - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?

Quote:
Intuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half-tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more traction, and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

When tires are replaced in pairs in situations like these, the new tires should always be installed on the rear axle and the worn tires moved to the front. The reason is because new tires on the rear axle help the driver more easily maintain control on wet roads because new, deeper treaded tires are more capable of resisting hydroplaning.

If the rear tires have more tread depth than the front tires, the front tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the rears. This will cause the vehicle to begin to understeer (the vehicle wants to continue driving straight ahead). Understeer is relatively easy to control because releasing the gas pedal will slow the vehicle and help the driver maintain control. [...]

However, if the front tires have more tread depth than the rear tires, the rear tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the fronts. This will cause the vehicle to begin to oversteer in which the vehicle wants to spin. Oversteer is far more difficult to control, and in addition to the initial distress felt when the rear of the car starts sliding, quickly releasing the gas pedal in an attempt to slow down may actually make it more difficult for the driver to regain control, possibly causing a complete spinout.

Last edited by rks : 16th August 2007 at 16:13.
Old 23rd October 2007, 10:18   #74
BHPian

Post Shoes for my baby (M800)

Hi,
I am looking for a replacement set of shoes for my M800.

The Car: M800
Model : 2001 5 Speed Mpfi
Current Shoes: Bridgestone B350,
145/70/R12.
Rims: Standard 12" OE Steel Rims.

Usage Details and Requirements

The car is at present used as a second car in Mumbai by my family and has a monthly running of just 700 kms.The current set has hardened considerably and have also worn out.

I am looking for a plus size upgrade on the standard steel rims.

I intend using the car as my guinea pig for my driving antics in search for the holy grail ( car control ). So the tyres must offer the best grip without a 1kmpl deficit in FE and must be economical.

I do not want to upgrade to alloys as the car is going to be my test mule.

Please guide me with the tyre options i have, the dealers and the costing that i'm looking at.

Thanks in advance and keep those suggestions coming.
St. Anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 18:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

people here is the site that calculates the tyre upgrade difference along with the size change required in the rim width!

Tire Calculator
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote