Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 17:14   #166
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 632
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Just installed 2 XM2 in the front of my ride i.e. Swift ZXI (185/70/R14).

Earlier was using XM1+ all around, when some nut punctured (sidewall) the front 2 due to parking misunderstanding.

Anyways I am happy with the initial ride, its quiet and grippy to start off with. Lets see how it behaves in the coming days.

Overall I was pretty happy with the XM1+ aswell after using them for 10+ kms untill the mishap happened.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 09:55   #167
BHPian
 
rahul4640's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 451
Thanked: 265 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
Just installed 2 XM2 in the front of my ride i.e. Swift ZXI (185/70/R14).
Do you mind sharing the price? I purchased two XM2 (175X65XR14) for my Indigo (Petrol) car yesterday. Was charged Rs 10500/- (including fitting and balancing), although I did not buy them directly from the dealers. I took my car to the service center for some minor electrical job, when they showed me that the rear tyres were having a bulge and replaced them after getting my consent.

Last edited by rahul4640 : 27th October 2012 at 09:57.
rahul4640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 11:57   #168
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 632
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Do you mind sharing the price? I purchased two XM2 (175X65XR14) for my Indigo (Petrol) car yesterday. Was charged Rs 10500/- (including fitting and balancing), although I did not buy them directly from the dealers. I took my car to the service center for some minor electrical job, when they showed me that the rear tyres were having a bulge and replaced them after getting my consent.

I got it for 4500/- per tyre, balancing was included in it.
invincible7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 12:25   #169
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

After driving kilometres and kilometres i've found the XM2 (185/70/14 on my Swift VVT) tyre to be a good comfort tyre with low road noise and good ride quality, But these are not as sharp (as Bridgestone GIII for eg) when it comes to handling possibly due to the lower sidewall stiffness. Higher pressure makes things slightly better, i'm running 38PSI front and 36PSI rear in the Swift.

I've tested this tyre on both alloys (6j) and the stock steel rims (5j) and for handling 6j is better, on 5j the car tends to roll a bit more due to more sidewall flex.

I'm overall i'm pleased with these tyres since i was fed up with tyre noise of Potenza GIII.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 12:32   #170
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,253
Thanked: 1,783 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
After driving kilometres and kilometres i've found the XM2 (185/70/14 on my Swift VVT) tyre to be a good comfort tyre with low road noise and good ride quality, But these are not as sharp (as Bridgestone GIII for eg) when it comes to handling possibly due to the lower sidewall stiffness. Higher pressure makes things slightly better, i'm running 38PSI front and 36PSI rear in the Swift.

I've tested this tyre on both alloys (6j) and the stock steel rims (5j) and for handling 6j is better, on 5j the car tends to roll a bit more due to more sidewall flex.

I'm overall i'm pleased with these tyres since i was fed up with tyre noise of Potenza GIII.
38 PSI in the front and 36 rear in a 185/70/R14

That's over inflating by a huge margin.
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 12:49   #171
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL 01
Posts: 4,334
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
38 PSI in the front and 36 rear in a 185/70/R14

That's over inflating by a huge margin.
I don't think so. Factory inflation specs of cars (atleast maybe in Maruti) in India are kept a bit on the lower side, probably because of the bad roads here. In the UK factory recommended inflation for Alto aka Astar is 39PSI front (they run 14" wheels compared to 13" of AStar, so they're not directly comparable i agree), compare that to India spec of 32?PSI. And in my opinion underfilling is more dangerous than having the pressure a bit high for high speed usage. Keeps the sidewall flex lower and thus tire temperatures lower and also helps the tyre to withstand road irregularities better. 38PSI is still well under the tyre's maximum safe limit.

Forgot to add this small but important point: When i fill the air the tyre isn't completely cold, so the pressure always reads higher. So when i fill 38PSI the acutal cold pressure will be lower than 38. I fill 38 taking this into consideration.

When someone fills up his already run/hot tyres according to the pressures mentioned in the placard he will actually be filling lower than recommended pressures. So always fill when cold or increase the inflation pressure by one or two PSI and fill.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th October 2012 at 13:08.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 18:59   #172
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,142
Thanked: 409 Times
Post re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Just got XM2 tyres 165/65 R13 for my friend's old model Classic Zen. 17000 for set of 5 tyres.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2012, 19:19   #173
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,253
Thanked: 1,783 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I don't think so. Factory inflation specs of cars (atleast maybe in Maruti) in India are kept a bit on the lower side, probably because of the bad roads here. In the UK factory recommended inflation for Alto aka Astar is 39PSI front (they run 14" wheels compared to 13" of AStar, so they're not directly comparable i agree), compare that to India spec of 32?PSI. And in my opinion underfilling is more dangerous than having the pressure a bit high for high speed usage. Keeps the sidewall flex lower and thus tire temperatures lower and also helps the tyre to withstand road irregularities better. 38PSI is still well under the tyre's maximum safe limit.

Forgot to add this small but important point: When i fill the air the tyre isn't completely cold, so the pressure always reads higher. So when i fill 38PSI the acutal cold pressure will be lower than 38. I fill 38 taking this into consideration.

When someone fills up his already run/hot tyres according to the pressures mentioned in the placard he will actually be filling lower than recommended pressures. So always fill when cold or increase the inflation pressure by one or two PSI and fill.
I fill in 33 in the front and 31 in the rear when they are cold aka fuel bunk is half a kilometre from my house and I make sure I chose the night to go to the bunk for a tyre pressure check.

Maruti recommended for the Dzire ZDI is 31 in the front and 29 in the rear so based on that I have over inflated it by 2 PSI.
humyum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 00:13   #174
BHPian
 
sabret00the's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore,India
Posts: 685
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
Check with changemytyre.com. They gave me a discount of Rs. 1000 over and above their low price for 185/60/R 14 Michelin XM2s. Good after sales experience.
CMT is quoting Price Rs. 2,825 per tyre (all inclusive + Rs. 800 discount on the overall bill) for ALTO (12" 145/80). Fitting, balancing & alignment is free.


I checked with millivisions and they are saying 2.9K per tyre is the best price they can offer in Bangalore. Balancing & alignment is extra.

I think this looks like the best deal on the XM2 .
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2012, 22:49   #175
BHPian
 
Dreadnought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Jorhat
Posts: 37
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
CMT is quoting Price Rs. 2,825 per tyre (all inclusive + Rs. 800 discount on the overall bill) for ALTO (12" 145/80). Fitting, balancing & alignment is free.

I think this looks like the best deal on the XM2 .
Good that you got a good deal. Being in B'lore you can use their appointed dealers for free fitment etc. Please check the tyre manufacturing week though.As learnt from this forum only,dont accept anything older than 6 months.
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 10:54   #176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: Once
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Hi. I have a query regarding tyres for the old Verna XI. The stock tyres are 175/70/R14 (MRF ZVTS).

The dealers are recommending either Michelon XM2 (Rs.5400 per tyre) or Bridgestone MY01 (Rs.5200 per tyre). Wanted advise from the experts on which is better. My running is mostly within city with one long drive to Coimbatore from Bangalore every month. Both Michelin and Bridgestone are 185/65/R14 (if I am not wrong) and I wanted to know how it would affect the car as the stock tyres were 175/70 R14. Would it affect performance, handling or mileage?

If any other tyres (other than the above two) are better in your opinion, do advise. Also is the price ok. Are there any good stores your can recommend in South Bangalore.

Wheel Balancing is being done free but 3D wheel alignment is being charged around Rs.300 extra.

Thanks,

Victor

P>S: MODS > Tried searching threads for this info but wasn't able to find anything specific to the above.
victor0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 14:02   #177
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Hi Friends,

I'm doing some research for a friend of mine who owns a Baleno Altura, currently fitted with Bridgestone Potenza G IIIs. These tyres are now worn out and he needs a new set.

I think i've narrowed down the choices to either Michelin Energy XM2s or Yokohama C Drives.

The usage pattern is 90% city running and 10% highway usage. The requirements are Comfort, Durability & Grip in that order.

I was originally inclined towards the C Drives as i have expreienced them in another friend's car and the ride comfort, silence and grip is just phenomenal. However, i have read on various threads that the C Drives have soft sidewalls and therein lies my concern. You see, my friend is a relatively new driver and hence is a little unmindful of potholes and bad road conditions, so i worry that the C Drives may get damaged easily.

Hence, i started thinking of the XM2s as they are supposed to have stronger sidewalls. However, I have experienced the XM1+ on my girlfriend's Palio, and while they're very smooth and silent on smooth roads they don't quite have the ride comfort of the C Drives.

My questions are ;
1.) Are the XM2s softer than the XM1+ ?
2.) Considering the above scenario would you suggest the XM2s or the C Drives ?

Experts, (Nikhil in particular ) please help.

Please also feel free to suggest a third Brand if you think that's more suitable.

Thanks.

Last edited by revvhed : 15th November 2012 at 14:04.
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 21:15   #178
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 12
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

After clocking 59600 km, got new Michelin tyres - Energy XM2 for my Innova yesterday, at Madhus, Langford Road, Bangalore.

The experiences from fellow BHPians really helped, thanks guys, TBHP rocks!!

Cost of 5 tyres at Rs.5589 = 27947
Plus vat 14.5% = 4052.
Total tyre cost = Rs.32,000
Add Wheel bal and alignment = Rs.450.00
Less Old tyres (stock BS - B390) = 750
Total Rs. 31,700
Also had the valves replaced with new ones.

First impressions -
  1. Low noise when compared to the stock BS - B390
  2. Smooth drive, the low noise was an added factor
  3. Noticed that few dashboard hummings and noises which were occuring earlier had vanished!
Reasons for choosing Michelin XM2 -
The experience of driving and maintaining the stock BS was very good all these years and the kms run. My driving type is 80% in city and the rest on long drives, with no serious off roading.

Checked the BS-AR10, which was slightly more costlier then both the BS-390 and XM2 at around Rs.6800.

Given the road conditions here in Bangalore, may be the BS would have been better but wanted to try out XM2 after going thru the experiences of fellow bhpians and friends.

The sidewall softness is further improved in the XM2 - as was confirmed both at TBHP and at Madhus.

Still would need to drive for more kms to further experience the differences on the new tyres.

The flipside of the new tyre experience
Even though the wheel alignment results showed green and after taking delivery, today while on Nice road, observed that the car slowly would steer to the left side when lifting the hands of the steering wheel.
Has this got to do with the alignment?

Called up Madhus and told them about this problem, will take the car on saturday to get this rectified. Lets see

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2012 at 11:01.
kkrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2012, 23:46   #179
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 155 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi Friends,

I'm doing some research for a friend of mine who owns a Baleno Altura, currently fitted with Bridgestone Potenza G IIIs. These tyres are now worn out and he needs a new set.

I think i've narrowed down the choices to either Michelin Energy XM2s or Yokohama C Drives.

I currently own a Baleno that has seen Goodyear Eagle NCT5, Michelin Energy XM1 and Yokohama C.Drives - the current set. My observations are that Sidewall is stronger in the Michelin compared to the C.Drive. The overall construction quality is better as well.
On the other hand, In terms of wet grip and dry grip, the C.Drive is the better tire. It has a marginally more softer ride as well.

Net net - good roads, wet weather and and high speeds, Yoko is the better tire. Michelin would be the tire to choose though in case the roads have lot of potholes and rough edges.
Buffetfan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2012, 00:52   #180
BHPian
 
rattandip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 27
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

I have done 4K KMs on XM2 in Swift (P). I was driving JK prior to this and Bridgestone Potenza G III was my choice of tires this time around due to their good reviews from friends and dealer (he is my next block neighbor also). I had sat in couple of swift's which had Bridgestone, but the issue of noise was prevalent. One of my friend commented that its due to the design of all Swifts that there is noise. Not fully agreeing to what he said, I kept on checking with other folks (friends n family). Finally, the dealer suggested that I should look towards XM1 but by the time I really made my mind of changing the tires, XM2 was also available. So went for XM2 based purely on the advice of the dealer since I have been buying from him since last 15 years.

Initial observation was that irritating noise (I can now say its tires noise only) nearly vanished at low speeds. At above 80 KM/hr, there is a certain feeling of being planted on the road, which gives a lot of confidence. I have not got a chance to really break hard at high speeds, but they have done reasonable job of immediate stopping the car at medium (<50 Km/hr) speeds.

The added advantage is the stance of the car now as compared to previous tires, since XM2 is slightly broad vs my previous tires, its better now.
rattandip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote) greenhorn Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 163 12th September 2014 19:53
Advise on Laura tyres - Michelin Vs Pirelli Vs Michelin Ravveendrra Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 13 6th March 2010 13:30
Exchange - 185 Michelin Tyres -with- 175 Honda City Tyres eflanker Shifting gears 2 23rd September 2007 18:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks