Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 03:43   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 18 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I currently own a Baleno that has seen Goodyear Eagle NCT5, Michelin Energy XM1 and Yokohama C.Drives - the current set. My observations are that Sidewall is stronger in the Michelin compared to the C.Drive. The overall construction quality is better as well.
On the other hand, In terms of wet grip and dry grip, the C.Drive is the better tire. It has a marginally more softer ride as well.

Net net - good roads, wet weather and and high speeds, Yoko is the better tire. Michelin would be the tire to choose though in case the roads have lot of potholes and rough edges.
Hey Buffetfan,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I have just realised that the C - Drives are not available in the size i'm looking for (185/70 R 13). This means that the choice is now between the XM2 and the A drives !

Whatsay now ??
revvhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 12:43   #182
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

This was a very valuable post, thanks for sharing your experience. I also wanted to ask if the softer compound in C-Drives would be equally suitable as XM2 in cases where the car is usually fully loaded (as in a car pool)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
I currently own a Baleno that has seen Goodyear Eagle NCT5, Michelin Energy XM1 and Yokohama C.Drives - the current set. My observations are that Sidewall is stronger in the Michelin compared to the C.Drive. The overall construction quality is better as well.
On the other hand, In terms of wet grip and dry grip, the C.Drive is the better tire. It has a marginally more softer ride as well.

Net net - good roads, wet weather and and high speeds, Yoko is the better tire. Michelin would be the tire to choose though in case the roads have lot of potholes and rough edges.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 01:23   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 155 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hey Buffetfan,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

I have just realised that the C - Drives are not available in the size i'm looking for (185/70 R 13). This means that the choice is now between the XM2 and the A drives !

Whatsay now ??
A Drives are more economy oriented tires with lower grip and handling compared to C drives. Between this and XM2, my pick would be the XM2, assuming that you are not on a budget as A.drive will be 15% or so cheaper.

See tire positioning for Yoko's - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0-hyd-expo.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
This was a very valuable post, thanks for sharing your experience. I also wanted to ask if the softer compound in C-Drives would be equally suitable as XM2 in cases where the car is usually fully loaded (as in a car pool)?
I have no experience of car pools on the C.Drive but if the requirement is for tougher rubber, you should go in for Michelins in my view. With loading, the car will be settled on the road anyway.

I love the C.drive for the grip and ride combination. Both my cars are on C.drives now and I am on to my second set of C.drives in the Innova. For sure though, one has to be careful with the sidewalls in this tire.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 22nd November 2012 at 01:24.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 02:24   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,750
Thanked: 1,481 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
A Drives are more economy oriented tires with lower grip and handling compared to C drives. Between this and XM2, my pick would be the XM2, assuming that you are not on a budget as A.drive will be 15% or so cheaper.

See tire positioning for Yoko's - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...0-hyd-expo.jpg


I have no experience of car pools on the C.Drive but if the requirement is for tougher rubber, you should go in for Michelins in my view. With loading, the car will be settled on the road anyway.

I love the C.drive for the grip and ride combination. Both my cars are on C.drives now and I am on to my second set of C.drives in the Innova. For sure though, one has to be careful with the sidewalls in this tire.
Weak sidewalls is an Achilles heel for Yokohoma.
Across the forum you can read cases of geolanders sidewall bursts.
I was thinking of C drives as my next tyre,but after reading all these reports,i am having second thoughts.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:06   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,091
Thanked: 155 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Weak sidewalls is an Achilles heel for Yokohoma.
Across the forum you can read cases of geolanders sidewall bursts.
I was thinking of C drives as my next tyre,but after reading all these reports,i am having second thoughts.
I have not heard of sidewall bursts on the C.Drive at expressway speeds - that includes the net.

But I had a tyre burst too when my wife put the Innova - at crawling speed on the edge of a road parapet. I am unsure though if any tire would have survived that - being put sidewall first on a 1 foot high sharp edge.

Other four tires I had lasted 48k kms w/o cuts in sidewall but one did suffer a sidewall puncture (very minor - 10 psi per month or so) when a friend drove my car on top of a bush with large thorns.

I have changed to another set of C.Drives on the Innova after 48 k - the tires were ready to do maybe 10k more though.

I think the tires more than make up for the soft sidewall by providing legendary grip on wet roads and solid handling. I have not seen another tire come close in wet grip.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 23rd November 2012 at 00:08.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 10:09   #186
BHPian
 
Chris_Xtreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 103
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Planning to change the stock tyres (JK Tyre Tornado 155/65/R13) in my Wagon R which has done 22K to Michelin XM2 (155/65 R13 73T) by next month.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 15:14   #187
BHPian
 
deetee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 222
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Price update-Best quotes I got for 165/65 R13
A-drive: 3200
Xm2: 3550
ER-60: 3600
deetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 15:54   #188
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gurgaon/MBD
Posts: 174
Thanked: 67 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
Planning to change the stock tyres (JK Tyre Tornado 155/65/R13) in my Wagon R which has done 22K to Michelin XM2 (155/65 R13 73T) by next month.
Worn out or fed up and changing for a better experience ?
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 22:38   #189
BHPian
 
Chris_Xtreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 103
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Worn out or fed up and changing for a better experience ?
The old tyres still have some thread left in them. But I could still experience wobbling and it never stopped even after balancing and alignment. Hence decided to change them.
Best Quote for 155/65/R13: Rs.3375 per tyre.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 13:59   #190
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Gurgaon/MBD
Posts: 174
Thanked: 67 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Xtreme View Post
The old tyres still have some thread left in them. But I could still experience wobbling and it never stopped even after balancing and alignment. Hence decided to change them.
Best Quote for 155/65/R13: Rs.3375 per tyre.
Ok, I asked out of curiosity because 22k is too low for a change. Anyway, the price seems to be okay.

Did you also check the RIMS/Alloys for any bends or damage - that might also be a cause for the wobbling. Do check before a change.
Fiest@DuraTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 09:14   #191
BHPian
 
Chris_Xtreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 103
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
Ok, I asked out of curiosity because 22k is too low for a change. Anyway, the price seems to be okay.

Did you also check the RIMS/Alloys for any bends or damage - that might also be a cause for the wobbling. Do check before a change.
Thanks Fiest for the advice.

Since the roads in my locality were not that good, may be that might also be the reaon for it.

Have checked the rims for bends/damage but could not find any. I am visiting the tyre service center tomorrow to have a final check and to try rotating the tyres, before I could finalize.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 21:22   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Just joined the XM2 club this afternoon and will be keenly following this thread. Had a bit of concern after reading posts on excessive wear in Indian conditions. Buffetfan's posts are a little reassuring that I did make a decent choice. Mostly city driving but we do have some bad roads on occasion and sidewall damage has been the cause of some recent flats on my old tyres.

Picked up a set of 5 for Rs 6,000 each + Rs 950 for wheel balancing and wheel alignment
nikhil.nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 13:56   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
Picked up a set of 5 for Rs 6,000 each + Rs 950 for wheel balancing and wheel alignment
I've heard the side walls in newer Michelins (XM1+ and XM2) are better than earlier models. I hope its true, as I've got a set of both the models now for the Swifts and the XM2 is likely to see pretty bad roads on a more frequent basis.

It would be helpful if you could mention the tyre size/vehicle model while mentioning the price, since the price varies considerably with your location and tyre size (XM2 for 185/70R14 cost me 4850 per tyre in Kerala) and hence doesn't make much sense to others without it.

Last edited by zenren : 30th December 2012 at 13:58.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 20:41   #194
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 32
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
It would be helpful if you could mention the tyre size/vehicle model while mentioning the price, since the price varies considerably with your location and tyre size (XM2 for 185/70R14 cost me 4850 per tyre in Kerala) and hence doesn't make much sense to others without it.
Sorry about that. I have a 2010 Innova VX Diesel with mostly in city driving with the occasional highway trip.
The Innova came with Bridgestones fitted but I was never happy with the ride.

Tyres I've picked up are the Michelin XM2 205/65R15.
Retail price varies from Rs 6,500 - Rs 6,800 depending on the dealer.
I got a deal which was pretty good in the end at Rs 6,000 a piece.

Last edited by nikhil.nayak : 30th December 2012 at 20:51.
nikhil.nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2012, 16:38   #195
BHPian
 
abhi3284's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 146
Thanked: 50 Times
Default re: Michelin XM2 Tyres in India

Today, went to a Tyre shop with the intention of getting Michelin XM2 185/70 R14 for my just delivered Ritz VDI. The other tyre in consideration was the Yoko A-Drive. I was already running on Michelin XM1+ on my Alto, which i traded in exchange for the Ritz. Was happy with them.

Yoko A-Drive Price : 4350 per tyre.
Michelin XM2 Price : 4750 per tyre.
Exchange Price for stock Bridgestone : 2700 per tyre.
Yoko A- Drive Cost of 5 Tyres : 8250/-
Michelin XM2 Cost of 5 Tyres : 10250/-
Alignment, Balancing, Nitrogen Filling and 4 Wonder Valves Complimentary.

Mind said Michelin but Heart said Yokohama.
After a lot of thinking and confusion, finally took the plunge and got the Yoko A-Drives.
The XM2 was slightly fatter than the A-Drive but i found the A-Drive Tyre Tread pattern better.
I already had experienced the Michelin's, so thought of trying something new.
Also, i would have had to shell out 2000 /- more for getting 5 Tyres of XM2.

Hoping that i have taken a wise decision of going for the A-Drives and do not regret Not going for the XM2. Time will tell. :-)
abhi3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote) greenhorn Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 163 12th September 2014 19:53
Advise on Laura tyres - Michelin Vs Pirelli Vs Michelin Ravveendrra Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 13 6th March 2010 13:30
Exchange - 185 Michelin Tyres -with- 175 Honda City Tyres eflanker Shifting gears 2 23rd September 2007 18:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks