Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

View Poll Results: Do you replace tyres by age or tread-wear ? If by age, every how many years ?
I change tyres only when the tread goes below the acceptable depth. 193 60.88%
I change tyres based on age - every 2 years, irrespective of tread depth. 5 1.58%
I change tyres based on age - every 3 years, irrespective of tread depth. 18 5.68%
I change tyres based on age - every 4 years, irrespective of tread depth. 27 8.52%
I change tyres based on age - every 5 years, irrespective of tread depth. 32 10.09%
I change tyres based on age - every 6 years, irrespective of tread depth. 13 4.10%
I change tyres based on age - every 7 years, irrespective of tread depth. 4 1.26%
I change tyres based on age - every 8 years, irrespective of tread depth. 2 0.63%
I change tyres based on age - every 9 years, irrespective of tread depth. 1 0.32%
I change tyres based on age - every 10 years, irrespective of tread depth. 1 0.32%
I change tyres only when they go bald (no tread at all). 21 6.62%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th January 2016, 10:48   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Do you change tyres by age or by tread-wear/damage ?

My car is more than 7 years old. The previous set of tyres was company fitted, but didn't run so much, only around 37,000 kms. But since they were old, i changed them. Its always advisable to change tyres after every 4-5 years irrespective of trade depth. Because climatic changes, and usage makes compound changes in the tyre.
allien936 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 12:23   #122
Senior - BHPian

Just changed the tyres on my car last week. I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza GIII, which were about 47K kms and 4.5 years old. I could certainly feel the change in driving characteristics from the past few months, hence went in for a new set of tyres.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2016, 12:27   #123
BHPian

Last time I changed, my car had already done more than 45K kms well within 4 years and tread depths were bad. However, the time before that I changed tyres after 5 years only when it exceeded 40K kms. I was told then that ideally I should have changed by 4 years.
rahulsnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2016, 13:33   #124
Senior - BHPian

My 35000 km old (3 year old) Bridgestone Turanza have uneven wear at front (Main cause is not doing alignment properly). Rear tyres are good for another 10000 Kms.

Is it OK to change front tyres with brand new one and leave rear ones as it is?

EDIT: After checking, decided to put new ones at rear and move current rear tires to the front.

Last edited by Latheesh : 6th January 2016 at 13:59.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 15:13   #125
BHPian

Had got my car tyres(Apollo Accelere) checked up at Madhu's Tyre Service,Saraswatipuram,Mysore.The staff after detailed visual check of all tyres,opined that there are no visible signs of hardening,such as cracks and need no replacement now.I repeatedly asked whether it is safe to use car in the city and for occasional highway drives lookint tyre age, I was assured there is no problem and I can continue using the tyres for easily upto a year or so,but meanwhile to keep regularly checking the tyres for cracks etc.
Finally got wheel balancing and wheel alignment carried out after Nitrogen filling.
Total bill:Rs 630
Staff at the centre M/s Bhagawan & Nagendra were very helpful and courteous and answered all my queries..

Last edited by virgopal : 9th January 2016 at 15:15. Reason: correction
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 05:56   #126
Senior - BHPian

I would say it depends entirely on usage + age.
In my case, my tyres have quite a bit of tread on them which means they will easily last another 1 year by which time my car will turn 5 years old. I don't do a lot of driving any more - the vehicle has hardly crossed 32000Kms in 4 years!
Saying that once the tyres and car get to about 4 years, the tyres do become harder and less sensitive and with these higher performance vehicles of today, it is worth changing them at this time.
However, if one's usage is very high and one does a lot of driving then obviously the tyres will need to be replaced on account of tread wear.
My earlier vehicle had crossed 50K-55K kms approx when I sold it - and it was 4 years old at the time. I had indeed done a lot of driving (for my particular situation) on that vehicle, over all sorts of terrain, in the 4 years that I had it but with proper maintenance and rotation etc, the OEM Bridgestones were almost as good as new - they had a comfortable 30K Kms left on them when I sold that vehicle and my friend, who bought it from me, actually drove it for another 30-35K kms with those tyres and then sold it on!

I think there is no straight answer to this question - it will always be a combination of the no of kms driven and the age of the tyres as well.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 08:08   #127
BHPian

Bumping up the thread!

I need advise on my 2014, 52k done Jetta running stock Goodyear's. The tread is still 50% left but I feel a lot of road undulations and vibrations filtering inside the cabin. The tyres seem a bit hard too. My usage is 80% city 20% highway and am to do a Bangalore Goa run coming weekend.

Do tyres of this age pose any safety hazard apart from the comfort factor? Have been taking care in terms of balancing, alignment and rotation all along. Heart says go, get those PS3s. Mind says let them run atleast 10k more.

Concerned as it will be a high speed run on the Bangalore Pune highway.

Cheers
Vinay
vinayrathore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2017, 08:13   #128
Senior - BHPian

For reputed brands like Goodyear, 6yrs of age should not be a problem. 2014 is not an issue at all. Some tires get less comfortable as they wear, nothing to do with age.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2017, 23:45   #129
BHPian

http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189...rs-fatal-crash

Please read the link, I read this article today and felt it could benefit many others too, its an eye opener, valuable read, as most of us ignore tire health and take factors like tire age, tire pressure, rubber deterioration, rubber deformation, tread depth lightly.
For most the only clue is tread wear. Wheel alignment is not the only factor that matters to tire health.

Tires that haven't aged well, despite a visible tread will have poor grip levels, it may pass off most of the times but that one time where it matters it could be a life and death situation just like the opinion the writer shares regarding Paul Walkers case, I feel that's a valid point he makes, even something silly as lower tire pressure can cause poor grip despite having the best car and best tire.

When I briefly was running a wheel alignment center in Goa, retailing Yokohama tires, I noted some had 8+ year sparingly used cars with original tires on them, they'd be in Goa for holidays, they believed they could use those tires till they wear out.
I'd educate them stating its fine if they drive short distances and avoid speeding but if someone who drives fast borrows the car, he/she could be in for a surprise.
Long back I fishtailed in our car due to a combination or low tire pressure and prior tire damage due to being parked in the sun all day for months together. I swapped them immediately for a new set, not worth the risk and costs thereafter.

Many of us purchase preowned vehicles and just check the tire tread and not the age, I've seen many cars on road running at least 1 original tire with the 2nd or 3rd set, maybe the spare tire in use or so. I believe we should evaluate these parameters too, for our safe journeys.

Before I drove to Bhutan from Goa in my Swift Diesel, apart from the regular service check the only thing I invested in is a new set of Yoko Earth tires, as expected I didn't have any issues all through out the 8k kms drive, mattered as I had to avoid causes for additional fatigue as I was the only person driving the entire distance back and forth.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 3rd November 2017 at 00:05.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 00:00   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Bumping up the thread!

I need advise on my 2014, 52k done Jetta running stock Goodyear's. The tread is still 50% left but I feel a lot of road undulations and vibrations filtering inside the cabin. The tyres seem a bit hard too. My usage is 80% city 20% highway and am to do a Bangalore Goa run coming weekend.

Do tyres of this age pose any safety hazard apart from the comfort factor? Have been taking care in terms of balancing, alignment and rotation all along. Heart says go, get those PS3s. Mind says let them run atleast 10k more.

Concerned as it will be a high speed run on the Bangalore Pune highway.

Cheers
Vinay
I would advise you to change the tyres immediately. Primary reason being they have done 52K km already. I had to change the tyres on my Jetta at 38K itself for the noise and discomfort had become unbearable.

The Jetta weighs 1.5 tonnes and tyres should be replaced at 45K irrespective of tread wear. Hard tyres also take a toll on the dampers and suspension. I changed to Michelin P3ST and they have been fairly reliable with 1 puncture in the last 7K km.

Fun fact: All 4 tyres had around 8 nails lodged in them when I went in for a change. One was the size of a hex bolt. Seriously, it was a wise decision to get rid of them!
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:02   #131
Senior - BHPian

My only input here is with reference to age determination - this should be based on the manufacturing month/year marked on the tyre that is always visible. 5 years from this date is acceptable, even 6 based on what I have read elsewhere on rubber aging; the 4 year advice is based on tyre purchase date, leaving a margin of a year for stocking times. But I would not take a car on a highway on a tyre that is more than 5 years past manufacturing date.

There is also the nature of use; my Nano is used only in Pune city traffic and I will change its tyres only after 7-8 years if they are otherwise in good shape.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 09:13   #132
BHPian

Changed my stock MRFs when ODO was at 20k in a 5+ year old City. Reason - bulging in rear right and front left tyres. As per tyre shop, this is due to ageing.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:43   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My only input here is with reference to age determination - this should be based on the manufacturing month/year marked on the tyre that is always visible. 5 years from this date is acceptable, even 6 based on what I have read elsewhere on rubber aging; the 4 year advice is based on tyre purchase date, leaving a margin of a year for stocking times. But I would not take a car on a highway on a tyre that is more than 5 years past manufacturing date.

There is also the nature of use; my Nano is used only in Pune city traffic and I will change its tyres only after 7-8 years if they are otherwise in good shape.
These are needlessly alarmist views. Tyre manufacturers themselves state a 10 year tyre life and many of them do not have any deadline at all. If the tyres are in good condition, one can safely use them till they are worn out or well over 10 years old. There could be some exceptions like a car parked unused for several years and so on. If someone likes to push their vehicles and tyres to the limit, then perhaps they can consider changing them earlier. Having correct air pressure, alignment and above all driving at a safe speed are more important than the age of the tyres. Otherwise we are entering the change your engine oil every 3000 km regardless of what the manufacturer recommends type of argument.

Here is the recommendation from Michelin:

http://www.michelin.in/IN/en/help-an...new-tyres.html

Last edited by Lobogris : 3rd November 2017 at 11:49.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 17:47   #134
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading the 6 years somewhere, can't locate it now.

And from the same site linked above a cut/paste:

" Keep five years in mind
2- Ten years is a maximum"

Conclude from that what you will.

Also, does the 6 or 10 or whatever, vary from one make to the next? Does anyone other than Michelin say 10 years, to make a general statement that all Tyre manufacturers say this?
PS: as to the 5 years, I see that Michelin also says this: "After five years or more in use, your tyres should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional."
Useful to know, to save both the money and the environment, but the "thoroughly inspected" bit becomes a little subjective and needs to be done with care.

Last edited by Sawyer : 3rd November 2017 at 17:52. Reason: PS
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 10:17   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

I change tires based on feel.

# If I feel the wheelspins are being more unintentional.

# If brake feel/distance has gone for a toss.

# If there is more tire noise than what it should be.

Tire damage = No questions asked, but I just don't want to be killed or kill any one because of rubber. There are better ways to die.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote