Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 29th August 2007, 01:20   #181
Senior - BHPian

Well ananthnehru, i would suggest to change the tyres if you are driving & cornering fast else the stock rubber is fine for normal driving.

What excetly is Advan Sports, are they the AVS Sports? The AVS Sports are better then the ES100.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 01:25   #182
Senior - BHPian

No. The AVS series is one step lower than the Advan range. AVS is Yokohama's flagship Advanced Vehicle System series. The Advan range is actually a separate brand. If you look it up, you will barely find any official references to Yokohama.

AVS Sports are almost the same compound as ES-100s. Good to look at, but not much else these days.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 01:36   #183
Senior - BHPian

C3PO i read on tirerack that the AVS Sports are much better then the ES100
Old 29th August 2007, 01:39   #184
Senior - BHPian

Well I've driven both, and driven them hard. I really can't tell them apart, maybe the Sports are slightly better. Let me put it this way, the Sports are 10% better than the ES, maybe. But the S.Drives are a good 30% better than the Sports. And the Neovas are an additional 15% better.
Old 29th August 2007, 01:45   #185
Senior - BHPian

Thanks C3PO

So Neova, S Drive, AVS Sports, ES100.

How do Pilot Precedas rank against the S drives?
Old 29th August 2007, 09:46   #186
Senior - BHPian

The thing I read about the Neovas that made me shy away from them is seemingly their wet weather performance is not great since they are semi slicks. However in dry weather, they will offer way better traction than anything else. The other trouble is that the availability is nil.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 09:50   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The thing I read about the Neovas that made me shy away from them is seemingly their wet weather performance is not great since they are semi slicks. However in dry weather, they will offer way better traction than anything else. The other trouble is that the availability is nil.
Hi,

Add to that the pricing and life. IMO Neovas make sense for people who want the best in road grip whilst racing/driving fast. Not recommended for the everyday driver who occassionally speeds up on an expressway.

That is one of the main reasons why Yokohoma is not launching the Neova's into India immediately. People purchasing the Neova's may come back with negative feedback that Yokohoma tyres in general have a poor life leading to poor sales.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 01:33   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where did you read this? No offence, but they are probably the best compact car street tyres in the wet, in the world, in terms of absolute traction. I should know because I've pushed cars with over 20kgm of torque maniacally in blinding rain.

On the other hand, I find their resistance to aquaplaning, the sort that you need when you hit a standing sheet of water at 140 kmph, somewhat less than Dunlop SP Sport 9000s. Those things have the best aquaplaning resistance ever.
Old 30th August 2007, 01:44   #189
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
ROC, having driven the Neova's in some blinding rain conditions and some wet surfaces (and not raining) at some good speeds I can guarantee you that they have fabulous traction in the wet. I love their traction in the wet to traction on dry surfaces.

The only gripe I have against the Neova's like I had already mentioned in my report in the travelogue section is that when you hit a puddle of water it feels awkward. Though while driving on a already wet surface you will see what tremendous grip they produce. Point in case on the Nandi Hill drive Psycho's car running GIII's went from the right most lane to the left most lane at 130 odd kmph. I just shot past him on the right most lane without even going off the lane by a cm at 180 kmph. The surface was wet. After that I had psycho saying he would surely buy Neova's for his car next.

So my gripe against Neova's:
1. Aquaplaining.
2. Cost.
3. Tire wear.
4. Unavailability.

Inspite of all this, once you drive with these tires you will certainly overlook all gripes. Its worth that extra buck you shell out. Its worth using them even if they just last 20,000 kms. But its worth for only those who drive hard or have a fast car. For ordinary driving you may look at other alternatives.

It is shocking to see this coming from me because I had never believed in upgrading rubber until one day Akshay got me a fabulous deal on the Neova's. Since then my whole perception has changed. Needless to say, my next choice of tires would certainly be the Neova's budget permitting.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 30th August 2007 at 01:47.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 13:35   #190
Senior - BHPian

C3PO - You mean to say the best aquaplaning resistant tyres are the Dunlop SP9000?
Old 30th August 2007, 14:22   #191
Senior - BHPian

Rahul.
Thats a nice review of the Neovas covering every aspect of it.
In the Yelagiri meet video your Baleno's handling was fantastic ...Dont how u felt inside but it surely was going like a stink. I guess the credit should be given to the tyres.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 14:48   #192
Senior - BHPian

Hm... it was just some random review griping about aquaplaning. Its probably cos the tyre is classified by Yoko as a summer tyre. More than anything it was the availability that was the factor for me.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 30th August 2007 at 14:49.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 14:50   #193
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Rahul.
Dont how u felt inside but it surely was going like a stink. I guess the credit should be given to the tyres.
Well I can tell you that I wished I had more power sitting behind the wheel. Even at those speeds I was dreading the fact that the car was peaking out. The handling should be credited to the fact that the suspension was done up too. But yes the Neova's do play a major role. On track however, the grip offered by the Neova's throws up the lack of the suspensions ability to keep up as well.

Roc, you might want to check this test result from tirerack. Check out the test results in wet and dry.
Yokohama's ADVAN Neova AD07 Stakes Its Claim in the Extreme Performance Summer Tire Category

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 30th August 2007 at 14:53.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 18:37   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well I've driven both, and driven them hard. I really can't tell them apart, maybe the Sports are slightly better. Let me put it this way, the Sports are 10% better than the ES, maybe. But the S.Drives are a good 30% better than the Sports. And the Neovas are an additional 15% better.
Hiya, what kind of tarmac are we talking about here? All these comparisons and % differences have to be derived from feedback based on some sorta Indian road innit? Smooth highways? potholed country roads?

Curious.

downforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2007, 18:43   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
C3PO - You mean to say the best aquaplaning resistant tyres are the Dunlop SP9000?
Any inputs on this???????