Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 7th October 2012, 01:45   #1
BHPian

Default Forged Aluminium Lug Nuts - are they safe?

I searched but could not find any discussion on Forged Aluminium Lug Nuts hence this new thread.

The alloys on my 12 year old Lancer were due for replacement and finally today I replaced all 4 alloys and with new tyres too. The only OE part that remained on the new set of wheels were the steel lug nuts. The A*S*S suggested me to replace all the nuts since some were worn out at the hexagonal edges and there was a risk of the spanner slipping if I were to replace the wheel in case of a punchur. ok fine, but the list price of single OE nut is 250/- @#%!?% - are they nuts??

So I went to an accessory shop and purchased a set of 16 WePro Forged Aluminium Lug Nuts that had a lock set too for 3000/- I fell for these because they were amazingly light weight and looked chic. Also, replacing the wheel takes minimal effort with these nuts. So now all the wheels are fitted with these and looking nice but I am wondering if made a wrong choice.

Kindly advise. I don't mind scrapping these and buying steel/chrome nuts if safety and reliability is getting compromised.
Name:  Wepro_Lug_nut.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  4.5 KB

Last edited by Chewbacca : 7th October 2012 at 01:51.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 06:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Forged Aluminium Lug Nuts - are they safe?

These are good for performance as they reduce the unsprung weight.
nitrous is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 07:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I looked up forged Aluminium nuts on the net when i bought a set of Gorilla nuts for the AStar. For regular usage buy the steel lug nuts its more reliable and hassle free. These Aluminium alloy nuts should not be tightened using the air impact wrenches which is the weapon of choice of tyre shops and service centres, doing so will destroy the hex side of the nut and too much torque is bad for the soft threads too.

And Aluminium being a softer material and considering the loads the threads will have to endure i wouldn't go with WePro for Aluminium nuts, if i need to go for Aluminium i would look at some American/European/Jap brand which had undergone enough testing. With

Did the shop have WePro's steel lug nuts with keys? How much did they quote for that?

Last edited by Sankar : 7th October 2012 at 07:46.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 07:47   #4
BHPian

Provided they are of a good quality, aluminium will always be better than steel. It is lighter and stronger. In addition, as nitrous pointed out above, you have lesser unsprung weight, which improves mileage and handling and reduces tyre wear. Of course, with a saving of a few grams, the difference will be small, but still
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 12:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The only OE part that remained on the new set of wheels were the steel lug nuts. The A*S*S suggested me to replace all the nuts since some were worn out at the hexagonal edges and there was a risk of the spanner slipping if I were to replace the wheel in case of a punchur. ok fine, but the list price of single OE nut is 250/- @#%!?% - are they nuts??
You sure about this ?I bought a complete set of steel lug nuts a few years back from A.S.S. (and believe me the OE quality is way better than most aftermarket stuff) and I think 16 lug nuts had costed me < 500 rupees. I need to search for the bill though. @ 250/nut, you will need to spend Rs. 4000/-. There seems to be some mistake here.
You can see my experience @
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1412222 (Caution! Rusted wheel lug nuts)
lancer_rit is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 21:11   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
These Aluminium alloy nuts should not be tightened using the air impact wrenches which is the weapon of choice of tyre shops ......

.......... i wouldn't go with WePro for Aluminium nuts, if i need to go for Aluminium i would look at some American/European/Jap brand

Did the shop have WePro's steel lug nuts with keys? How much did they quote for that?
Yes, the dealer warned me not to use pneumatic torque wrench so I torqued those nuts myself at the A*S*S using the spanner and the adapter combo.

WePro is a Taiwanese brand and these are US patented. The shop had 3 types of WePro nuts ...

Chrome plated steel nuts (heavier than the OE nuts)
Anodized steel nuts (like gun metal)
Aluminium forged nuts in 4 anodized colours.

The dealer said the chrome nuts will eventually rust - no guarantee. I didn't have much time to ask prices for all since my car was up the fork-lift at the A*S*S waiting for lug nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I think 16 lug nuts had costed me < 500 rupees ..... There seems to be some mistake here.
No mistake. A*S*S is indeed nuts !! A single mild-steel OE nut costs 250/- and for the SFX model, a chrome plated dome type nut is 400/- each !!

btw, another accessory shop offered me chrome plated nuts with the lock adapter @ 1600/- they looked decent but was some chinese brand.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:03   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer said the chrome nuts will eventually rust - no guarantee. I didn't have much time to ask prices for all since my car was up the fork-lift at the A*S*S waiting for lug nuts.
Next time if you're looking to change the nuts try the Gorilla life time lug nuts, they're guaranteed not to rust. You can get it through Amazon.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 09:39   #8
BHPian

Get the nuts hard anodised ,white rust on aluminium is difficult to notice unlike steel.
Hard anodising is better than normal anodizing
Fabiaous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 13:58   #9
BHPian

^^
Thanks for your inputs. I was also advised to retorque them after a month or so. Maybe after a year or two I will replace them with Gorilla nuts as suggested by Sankar.
Old 4th February 2013, 19:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No mistake. A*S*S is indeed nuts !! A single mild-steel OE nut costs 250/- and for the SFX model, a chrome plated dome type nut is 400/-
The price of steel lug nuts you posted is indeed wrong - I just checked at svr motors this weekend. Steel nuts come in a pack of 4 and cost 440 rs a set or 110 per nut. This is after 10% hike in all pears pieces in Jan 13 after a 20% hike mid odd last year. So either the a.s.s. you visited is fleecing you or they were referring to the process of a set of 4 nuts.
In contrast, the chrome plated dome nut comes as a single piece and is more expensive, though I can't remember the cost.
lancer_rit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2013, 20:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Howdy Chewbacca! Our TBHP handles us are characters from Star Wars.

Quote:
The A*S*S suggested me to replace all the nuts since some were worn out at the hexagonal edges and there was a risk of the spanner slipping if I were to replace the wheel in case of a punchur.
He's right. Get the nuts replaced double quick!

Quote:
ok fine, but the list price of single OE nut is 250/- @#%!?% - are they nuts??
I am sure you will think they are worth a lot more if your wheels come off due to incompatibility with the stud and wheel. I really won't recommend after market accessories in something as critical as wheel nuts. There will be people who say nothing happens...I am not one of them.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 00:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
The price of steel lug nuts you posted is indeed wrong - I just checked at svr motors this weekend. Steel nuts come in a pack of 4 and cost 440 rs a set or 110 per nut.
Maybe they are fleecing me since they know how particular I am about my car maintenance. In fact, I had an argument on the price but they simply said it was MMC part sourced by HM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Howdy Chewbacca! Our TBHP handles us are characters from Star Wars.
Ya, and our cars are our Millennium Falcons - a bit rusty but mighty trusty !!

This is OT btw, on a recent trip to a rural area a pile of stones hit the bottom while reversing and damaged the mid section of the silencer pipe. The a.s.s inspected and suggested a replacement costing 8K. They pointed out that it was already welded earlier at two places and another weld job would not hold for long. Yet again this part is MMC and out of stock. They have placed order for a dozen and I am waiting since past 2 months.

I will start a new thread to get suggestion from experts like you.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have placed order for a dozen and I am waiting since past 2 months. I will start a new thread to get suggestion from experts like you.
I am no expert mate but have good practical knowledge of car/bike maintenance.

As for HM parts, they live in a different era. Mitsubishi makes great cars but they are let down by HM's indifference and attitude towards this market. How I wish Mitsu operated independent of HM in India!

If your car's silencer is in a bad way you may be able to get an aftermarket equivalent for your car. Don't hold your breath waiting for the dealer to get the OEM part.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2013, 13:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe they are fleecing me since they know how particular I am about my car maintenance. In fact, I had an argument on the price but they simply said it was MMC part sourced by HM.
I wanted to alert you and others reading the thread. Usually, I ask to see the part to check the mrp and where the Part is manufactured :-)
lancer_rit is online now   Reply With Quote