Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 8th August 2017, 21:55   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Please do keep us posted. I might look to order some tyres if yours experience turns out good.
How did you go about placing the order for the international shipping? Also, how many days does the shipping take?
Sure. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have never imported anything fearing our great customs department. Based on my research there are two reliable sellers to buy tires from:

tire rack: doesn't support international shipping online but writing to sales@tirerack.com will get you started. Very responsive and helpful. uses FedEx as per @karan51

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net : Can directly order online or write to sales@alloywheelsdirect.com Slow response but helpful. Website not intuitive as you can't directly search for tires but need to find a car model that uses the tires you need. Uses UPS EXPEDITED.

Here is an example:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post1985605

I bought from alloywheelsdirect as I wanted to OEM wheels+tires. They also turned out to be cheaper to buy and ship. Tirerack shipping quote was outrageous as they want to make it two shipments due to different warehouses for tires and wheels.

I expect the shipping to be super quick. It is our great Indian customs department that can spoil the party. Only today I found that I am likely to pay 40% GST based duty instead of 28%. Hope it doesn't get worse.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 22:40   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
I think the total duty rate would be 10% BCD plus 28% IGST on value+BCD so a total of 40.8% instead of 28.85%.
Looks correct, as slab for personal imports beyond Rs 2000 is 41 % - of which 10 per cent is basic customs duty, 3 per cent education cess and 28 per cent IGST. This is probably from 1st July. In past, DHL/ FedEx used to ask for IEC code & ISI certification on tyres as well depending on the customs office. There have been cases where they simply cleared the tyres and collected customs whereas on few occasions in particularly in Delhi they will not clear without these documents. I recollect having gone through some posts of a fellow member who had issues at Delhi.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote