Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 28th August 2014, 11:10   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Good work with the import. My buddy did the same for his Phantom but customs did a whole lot of drama as they wanted excess. I guess it depends on the officer the courier ends up dealing with.
Thanks !

The question is that did he opt for a different/cheaper courier service of his choice ? Coz TireRack nominates FedEx, as they have a tie up.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2014, 12:42   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA

Quote:
TireRack nominates FedEx, as they have a tie up
I think they use only DHL and will never ship on customer account number of any carrier or even DHL . Somehow I found freight to be too expensive ( compared with our account rates ) and with no options to use our carrier and uncertainties in clearing customs its better to stick with local dealer unless there are no other options
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 12:40   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I think they use only DHL and will never ship on customer account number of any carrier or even DHL . Somehow I found freight to be too expensive ( compared with our account rates ) and with no options to use our carrier and uncertainties in clearing customs its better to stick with local dealer unless there are no other options
DHL may be their second source. As far as i know FedEx is their primary nominated vendor for logistics, i say this coz i wasnt given any option other than FedEx and know a friend who regularly imports from Tirerack.com who also gets delivered via FedEx.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2014, 14:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
DHL may be their second source. As far as i know FedEx is their primary nominated vendor for logistics, i say this coz i wasnt given any option other than FedEx and know a friend who regularly imports from Tirerack.com who also gets delivered via FedEx.
It's always best to go with Tireracks nominated shipper such as FedEx as they seem to have special discounts in the shipping rate. It's very difficult to get much lower quote than that such as any 3rd party freight forwarder.

I've tried and never found any. Btw great tire selection as I had the exact same tires.

The only problem here is the excessive import duties. 30 grand just as import tax is a hell lot of money ( damn our government is minting ).

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 30th August 2014 at 14:44.
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 02:07   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Which made me wonder why not ship them in from the US
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
It's always best to go with Tireracks nominated shipper such as FedEx as they seem to have special discounts in the shipping rate. It's very difficult to get much lower quote than that such as any 3rd party freight forwarder.

I've tried and never found any. Btw great tire selection as I had the exact same tires.

The only problem here is the excessive import duties. 30 grand just as import tax is a hell lot of money ( damn our government is minting ).
Well, I just thought it might interest you guys to get an update on the recent scheme of things. I got myself a shipment of Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tyres, details of which can be found here:

Team-BHP - Tyres & Alloy Wheels - Post 3602357

HERE ARE MY FINDINGS:

1) Gone are the days when you could simply order any tyres of choice and expect them to be customs cleared and delivered to you in India. It does not matter if the tyres are the best in the world... we have a large number of mammals of species ignoramus employed at the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) to create a certification requirement even where it makes no sense (it does make sense for tyres that are not US-DOT / EU-ETRTO / TUV / JATMA approved such as the illegal supplies from China, but the BIS does not believe in thinking so deeply).
Therefore, it is now a downright hassle to import tyres into India if they are not BIS certified unless they are on the 'exempted size' list. Here is a PDF copy of the list for ready reference:

List of DIPP Approved Tyre Sizes for Import to India.pdf

2) If looking to import a tyre that is NOT on the list, the correct procedure is to apply for a permit to the Deputy Director General of Foreign Trade, Mr. Darshan Singh with a request for a personal hearing during the Pneumatic Tyres for Passenger Cars Committee Meeting which is held once a month.

Details and declarations are required as to the purpose of import and usage of the tyres (personal / commercial / motorsport) along with Makes, Models and Registration Numbers of the cars the tyres are intended for.

Even after all this, anyone in the meeting may (& likely will) raise an objection/query (typically some unqualified person from the DIPP) and have the matter reffered to the Automotive Tyre Manufacturers' Association (ATMA) and/or the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).

Thence, Mr. Rajiv Budhraja of ATMA and Mr. Sushil Kumar of SIAM are required to provide a confirmation that the tyres are NOT manufactured in India and that the car manufacturer (likely a member of SIAM) recommends that the permit be granted. Note that it is still possible (& likely) for some fool from the OEM to say that the specific size of tyre is not sold with the car in India (of-course that would be the reason for the import request but stupidity abounds and fools always seem to remain empowered), wherein you shall have to contact the vehicles OEM directly for help.

If by some divine intervention, you are able to get past all these hoops, the DGFT shall provide you with a specific, one-time permit to import the tyres!

My apologies for the banter, but I wanted to ensure the correct procedure was clearly described and my effort of 9 months not entirely wasted. If you're still with me till here, the short version is that you should NOT attempt importing a size that is NOT on the list if you wish to retain your sanity!

3) Any freight forwarder of choice may be used to carry the goods by sea which is MUCH cheaper than air freight. TireRack.com ships directly to forwarders and provides the necessary export paperwork and also handles the co-ordination in USA. (The person I was in touch with at TireRack.com was Mr. Kyle Schirripa). I was able to get tyres with a total packed weight of ~311Kgs from NY to the ICD in Delhi for ~ Rs. 32,000.

4) Total Duties are 10%+12.36%+4% which strangely amount to ~28.884% in all. In toto, if you budget 50% increase in costs over the published price on the TireRack.com website, it should be a good estimate of the final landed cost (to your doorstep) including inland freight within the USA, Documentation & Export Charges, Sea Shipping & Forwarder Charges, Filing Charges, Duties, CHA Fee, Local Transport, etc.

5) Duty has to be paid online and is best left to a full service CHA or consultant.

6) Shipping by Sea, the total time from the day the tyres are shipped by the TireRack.com till they arrive at your doorstep is about 55-60 days.

All said, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tyres are WORTH EVERY BIT of effort in getting them...

Last edited by bharatsomany : 15th December 2014 at 02:09.
bharatsomany is offline   (18) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 11:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatsomany View Post
Well, I just thought it might interest you guys to get an update on the recent scheme of things. I got myself a shipment of Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tyres, details of which can be found here:

Team-BHP - Tyres & Alloy Wheels - Post 3602357

HERE ARE MY FINDINGS:

Attachment 1318505

My apologies for the banter, but I wanted to ensure the correct procedure was clearly described and my effort of 9 months not entirely wasted. If you're still with me till here, the short version is that you should NOT attempt importing a size that is NOT on the list if you wish to retain your sanity!

All said, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tyres are WORTH EVERY BIT of effort in getting them...
Thanks a lot for your post, but I noticed in your linked post that you imported 235/45/R18 which are not on the list. So did you have to get a special permit for this size? Why would this size not be on the list? I am quite sure nobody manufactures this size here either.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 19:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Thanks a lot for your post, but I noticed in your linked post that you imported 235/45/R18 which are not on the list. So did you have to get a special permit for this size? Why would this size not be on the list? I am quite sure nobody manufactures this size here either.
sandeep108,
Yes, the permit was required for 235/45ZR18, which is how I actually figured the whole thing out. In fact, since the provision of this "white list", there is a problem in getting the approved sizes if the load rating and even the speed rating is different. Given that a person would normally not go thru the hassle of importing tyres if they are anything short of superlative, it is more than likely that the speed rating does not match the list, thus creating a further nuisance.

As to the reason for it not being an approved size is because the list is compiled by SIAM members (OEMs) only considering what they themselves require and does not take any aftermarket requirements into account.

The 235/45R18 is actually a perfect fit on a Hyundai Sonata and even a Toyota Camry, but since the OEMs do not sell it themselves, it never got on to the list.

The 265/40ZR18 is likely on the list courtesy of Porsche selling it as the rear tyre of the previous generation Boxster (I am not aware of any other car which is sold with this tyre directly by the OEM). Strangely, the 235/45ZR18 is the default front tyre of the present day Boxster and therefore should be approved although the rules do not apply to cars imported as CBUs. Still, I believe the owners of the cars are entitled to replacement tyres but I guess keeping it off the list is another way for Porsche to make big money.
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 21:34   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Therefore, it is now a downright hassle to import tyres into India if they are not BIS certified unless they are on the 'exempted size' list. Here is a PDF copy of the list for ready reference
Given my experience with ICD -Delhi in past for other stuff , probably customs at Airport won't be so harsh & getting tyres for personal use should not be that cumbersome . Sea-freight option is mostly used by people who are in this trade and very rarely by someone importing 2/4 Tyres for self use .
Old 15th December 2014, 22:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Given my experience with ICD -Delhi in past for other stuff , probably customs at Airport won't be so harsh & getting tyres for personal use should not be that cumbersome . Sea-freight option is mostly used by people who are in this trade and very rarely by someone importing 2/4 Tyres for self use .
Turbanator,
Govt. ICDs are a pain, but this is honestly the only practical way. ICD-PPG is still better than ICD-TKD which is practically a smugglers den!
IGIA was the first option I contemplated and even had a word with the Commissioner of Customs at the New Customs House near T3. This was actually my first step even before ordering the tyres!

If you have the permit, you still need to be lucky to file the advance BoE and get the cargo cleared without any issues (& demurrage). If you need to submit papers and answer whatnot when getting tyres that are even on the exempted list, good luck saving your skin.

There is some vague possibility in checking-in the tyres as baggage and paying duty by declaring them as personal effects. Again, good luck trying to explain in the unfortunate event that the customs officer is a corrupt greed'o'maniac or a dedicated die hard!

Besides, ones self-respect is at stake in being caught by customs and asked to re-export the tyres!
bharatsomany is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014, 23:10   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is some vague possibility in checking-in the tyres as baggage and paying duty by declaring them as personal effects. Again, good luck trying to explain in the unfortunate event that the customs officer is a corrupt greed'o'maniac or a dedicated die hard!
Well I was referring to DHL / FedEx Air option , getting via baggage route - more than customs , charges by Airline for extra weight / volume will be prohibitive.
Old 16th December 2014, 10:55   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your reply Bharat. It seems that as usual in the name of aam aadmi, our government / regulators always seem to be working in favour of big business / vested interests. Why should any list be specified anyway, especially for personal use? At the worst government can increase the duty/tax, to prevent misuse of personal import.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2014, 13:17   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Well I was referring to DHL / FedEx Air option , getting via baggage route - more than customs , charges by Airline for extra weight / volume will be prohibitive.
I too was referring to a cargo route in terms of filing the Advance Bill of Entry, etc. These formalities are obviously not required for personal effects. Even DHL and FedEx will ask for paperwork and payment of demurrage if any. They are only authorised to file paperwork on your behalf but not to arrange permits / declarations on your behalf. So a shipment can as easily get stuck in the Courier route as with a freight forwarder.
Excess baggage charges would most certainly be a rip-off, but that's where Gold and Hon cards help... (Just kidding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Thanks for your reply Bharat. It seems that as usual in the name of aam aadmi, our government / regulators always seem to be working in favour of big business / vested interests. Why should any list be specified anyway, especially for personal use? At the worst government can increase the duty/tax, to prevent misuse of personal import.
Agree fully. These un-necessary processes result in a massive waste of effort, time and money (not to mention loss of peace & sanity).
bharatsomany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 11:06   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Just noticed that the LYKAN HYPERSPORT wearing the Michelin Pilot Super Sport

My BMW, upgraded to Michelin Pilot Super Sports! Imported from TireRack.com, USA-lykan21.jpg

^ Feel lucky to have the same tyres on my BM
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2015, 07:03   #74
BHPian

Finally got my set of PSS after a wait of 1.5 months. It was stuck up at Bangalore and Fedex finally got it cleared last week. With so much waiting and correspondence, finally it feels like I earned it! 😅 will be putting up details in my Yeti thread. Thanks to BHPians Karan561 and bharatsomany for guiding me when I contacted them before going ahead with the order.

Only thing is while Karan got it in 6 days, it took 1.5 months for me to get it due to the mess up at Banglore customs. But tire rack shipped it immediately and the shipment landed in Banglore in 5 days. Rest of the delays were at Banglore only.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 12:24   #75
BHPian

Hi Karan,

Congrats on the staggered setup. It has definitely uped the ante on your beast.

After my 6th tyre bubble in 3 years, I have finally come to terms that the roads (pot holes ) in Hyderabad are never gonna improve and it is high time i moved to tube less. Thanks to your detailed review, i too have decided to switch to the pilot super sport; decided on tirerack.com

Just wanted to get your feedback on these tyres. Would be of great help.
Couper72 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote