Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 01:46   #1
BHPian
 
stormsearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Hi Guys
Just noticed that my MB E220 has different profile front and rear tyres.
The fronts are 205/55 R16 and the rears are 205/60 R16.

Will it affect my handling in adverse conditions in any way? bigger concern, will it bust my suspension? Or will the ABS be affected by this?

I thought of getting 2 new 55 profile tyres, but am not sure i want to stick with the 16 inch wheels. Have a good mind to go back to the 15 inch stock size.

The ride is on the stiffer side, but she handles straight.. doesnt pull in any particular direction.

Gyaan on this wanted please. Thanks.
stormsearcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 14:15   #2
BHPian
 
Loud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 214
Thanked: 167 Times
Default re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

@stormsearcher, Have you purchased a used E220?
If not, then why did you fitted it with different profile tyres?
Anyways, if you want 55 profile, then change the rear tyres to same 55 profile ones and increase the width. And if you want 60 profile, then change front tyres to 60 profile tyres but with less width. I think the first option would be great. Do you face any problem with the tyres? Eg- Tyres touch the wheel well, etc.
Well, as far as problem is concerned, I think YES there is a problem. Maybe one pair (either front or rear) of the tyres would wear out faster. I think it may also cause improper balance while riding.
Anyways, you can check 'Tyre Size Calculator' (search on Google) and type in your stock size and upgraded size and the difference should be acceptable. If not, then return to narrower tyres with same 16" wheels.
Loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 22:06   #3
BHPian
 
stormsearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
@stormsearcher, Have you purchased a used E220?
If not, then why did you fitted it with different profile tyres?
Anyways, if you want 55 profile, then change the rear tyres to same 55 profile ones and increase the width. And if you want 60 profile, then change front tyres to 60 profile tyres but with less width. I think the first option would be great. Do you face any problem with the tyres? Eg- Tyres touch the wheel well, etc.
Well, as far as problem is concerned, I think YES there is a problem. Maybe one pair (either front or rear) of the tyres would wear out faster. I think it may also cause improper balance while riding.
Anyways, you can check 'Tyre Size Calculator' (search on Google) and type in your stock size and upgraded size and the difference should be acceptable. If not, then return to narrower tyres with same 16" wheels.
Hi,
Yes i only just purchased the car. Did not notice it when i made the purchase, only saw it while doing a thorough cleaning.
I do not face any problems as such. The car drives in a straight line without an issue. Is stable under speeds. and the wheels do not touch the wheel well. There is ample space. But i cant help but think the difference must be affecting something.
Was wondering if someone else had this issue on the forum.
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 14:52   #4
BHPian
 
Loud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 214
Thanked: 167 Times
Default re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Hi,
Yes i only just purchased the car. Did not notice it when i made the purchase, only saw it while doing a thorough cleaning.
I do not face any problems as such. The car drives in a straight line without an issue. Is stable under speeds. and the wheels do not touch the wheel well. There is ample space. But i cant help but think the difference must be affecting something.
Was wondering if someone else had this issue on the forum.
I think 'GTO' (Forum moderator) has an E220. You can PM him, he will surely advice you.
Please find out and tell the Stock tyre size of your MB. This is because the current E220 is available with stock 17" rims!

Ok. If you want to stick to 16" rims, then I think you may have to change either pair of your tyres (either front or rear) because I don't think the car would be well balanced with tyres of different width and same sidewall size. However, it may not cause a problem since many carsin abroad have different tyre sizes for front and rear (high end cars).
If you want grip/looks/etc, then change the rear ones to wider tyres with 55 sidewall (which can be calculated at http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator or http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator).
If you want comfort, change the front tyres to narrower tyres with 60 sidewall.
Recommended brands are: Michelin Energy XMV8, Bridgestone Turanzas, Yoko A-Drives, etc. however, all tyre sizes are not available and you may have to enquire at the stores.
You can show your car to a tyre expert whether the tyre are causing a problem or not.

BTW, wheel well touching is when the car is fully loaded and when you are driving it. When at rest, there is space in almost every car! You may feel the tyres touching while driving due to a noise caused by the rubber scraping the metal.
Cheers!
Loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 19:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,057 Times
Default re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Will it affect my handling in adverse conditions in any way? bigger concern, will it bust my suspension? Or will the ABS be affected by this?
As your vehicle is not an AWD, the 5% difference in tyre dia will not cause any issue to the vehicle. This is assuming, you have the exact same pair of tyres in the left and right of the either axles.

If there is a variation in stock size, it will cause slight difference in the way your car handles. Noting much to worry about.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 20:25   #6
BHPian
 
stormsearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
As your vehicle is not an AWD, the 5% difference in tyre dia will not cause any issue to the vehicle. This is assuming, you have the exact same pair of tyres in the left and right of the either axles.

If there is a variation in stock size, it will cause slight difference in the way your car handles. Noting much to worry about.
Hi Dhanush
Both my fronts are Michelin 205/55 R16 and both the rears are JK tyre 205/60 R16.
The thread on all the tyres is good and more or less even.
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 22:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,753
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Hi 'stormsearcher',

There wont be much problem in your day to day driving, only when you are driving on the edge it will affect.

But WHY ?

You are owning one of the best German cars and running JK tires @ rear on a RWD car ?

I suggest you switch to Michelins at rear too, will make a great difference
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 12:32   #8
BHPian
 
stormsearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hi 'stormsearcher',

There wont be much problem in your day to day driving, only when you are driving on the edge it will affect.

But WHY ?

You are owning one of the best German cars and running JK tires @ rear on a RWD car ?

I suggest you switch to Michelins at rear too, will make a great difference
Hi Karan
Like i said earlier, i just got the car and the car came with these tyres.
I am still debating going back to stock 15 inch wheels, which is why am delaying the purchase of tyres, and will have to stick to this setup till i arrive upon a decision.
Yes, if it was up to me, i would have shod them with some good rubber. Like they say, speed is nothing without grip. A set of good bridgestone G3 would be awesome. :-)
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 22:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,753
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Hi Karan
Like i said earlier, i just got the car and the car came with these tyres.
I am still debating going back to stock 15 inch wheels, which is why am delaying the purchase of tyres, and will have to stick to this setup till i arrive upon a decision.
Yes, if it was up to me, i would have shod them with some good rubber. Like they say, speed is nothing without grip. A set of good bridgestone G3 would be awesome. :-)
What rims are you running ? Are they aftermarket (16") ? If yes what brand ?
Do you have your OE / Stock 15" set or will you buy a new one ?

Pics
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 23:25   #10
BHPian
 
stormsearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
What rims are you running ? Are they aftermarket (16") ? If yes what brand ?
Do you have your OE / Stock 15" set or will you buy a new one ?

Pics
Have skoda 16inch alloys. Yes am considering going back to the stock rims. But am gonna wait a while. My tyres are good as of now so gonna run her as she is.
Have attached some pics of the car. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?-image_25.jpeg  

Attached Images
  
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 17:14   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,753
Thanked: 9,197 Times
Default Re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Have skoda 16inch alloys. Yes am considering going back to the stock rims. But am gonna wait a while. My tyres are good as of now so gonna run her as she is.
Have attached some pics of the car. :-)
The car looks good, not really sure about the alloys though !

Btw, are the stock rims with you ? or will you buy them ?

Plz if you can share the pics of those will be better.

Also if you plan to stick to 16" you can run a wide 225/55 setup which will make your car look & handle better as well as maintain your ride quality.

Thanks

Last edited by karan561 : 12th April 2013 at 17:16.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 18:14   #12
BHPian
 
stormsearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The car looks good, not really sure about the alloys though !

Btw, are the stock rims with you ? or will you buy them ?

Plz if you can share the pics of those will be better.

Also if you plan to stick to 16" you can run a wide 225/55 setup which will make your car look & handle better as well as maintain your ride quality.

Thanks
I am not a fan of these alloys either.
Unfortunately the stock rims did not come with the car, otherwise it was a no-brainer. I would have switched to stock setup.
Now am gonna run her for a few months and see if i should stay with the 16s or should i move back to 15.
the 225 is too wide. Pointless on a w124, which is, lets be honest, not the fastest car out there. :-D
The 205 is more than sufficient IMO. Besides, there is a danger of the tyres touching inside the wheel well at that width.

Either way (16/15) am gonna stay with 205. Only the profile will change accordingly.
stormsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 19:15   #13
Mik
BHPian
 
Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: GGN>BLR
Posts: 362
Thanked: 300 Times
Default Re: Different Front and Rear Tyre profiles, Problem?

Currently I have 175/65/R14 tyres on all 4 wheels of my Figo. The fronts are around 15k old and the rear ones around 40k each (Goodyear Assurance and Goodyear GT3)
A friend is offering two tyres of Michelin XM2 185/65/R14 for free which he no longer needs and is very sparingly used.

My questions
1. Would it make sense to swap the front two (Not impressed by Assurance). I am tempted by the XM2s.
2. Will it have any negative effect on car's handling or any other aspect.

I do wish to upsize to 185s eventually for better grip.

Edit: He does need two tyres from me in exchange :-)

Last edited by Mik : 29th December 2015 at 19:20. Reason: additional info
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different size/width rims on the front & rear ? AMG.EUROPE Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 14 27th December 2012 00:02
Different Speaker Brands = Different sound for same/similar music ? normally_crazy In-Car Entertainment 10 29th August 2006 12:05
Different Front Rear Combo Possible? BUSA Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 7 9th March 2006 13:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks