Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 23rd July 2013, 17:44   #1
BHPian

Default Re-holing Alloy Wheels (for different PCD)

Hi all,

I did not find any thread pertaining to this, if a thread exists, request mods to merge.

My MM540 wheel pitch core diameter is 139.7 and size 16 inches. Most of the alloys (no steel wheels please) I find in the market are limited to 15 inches. If the Pcd were to match, the size would'n't and vice versa.

There is a tyre / accessory dealer here in Bangalore opposite MTR hotel on lalbagh road, who claims that he will do a precision CNC cutting / re holing to match my requirement on a locally procured (ofcourse from his shop) alloys wheel from a Scorpio. The scorpio wheel is 16 inches but at 160 pcd.

My Jeep is primarily used for offroading in many local and national terrains in this country and my home-office-home usage. Is it advisable to go in for this mod?

I know purists will jump up to say, keep stock as stock. However would like to know whether other TBhpians have explored this jugaad.

Regards
Andy

Last edited by Grace : 23rd July 2013 at 17:45.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 17:55   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Re holing on Alloy Wheels

As far as i know, any mod that will involve cutting or boring into a solid metal/ structure that supports the weight of the vehicle will tend to lose its mechanical strength but ofcourse, if the same has been analysed, i don't think there will be any harm in going for machined ones.
Arch-Angel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 22:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
There is a tyre / accessory dealer here in Bangalore opposite MTR hotel on lalbagh road, who claims that he will do a precision CNC cutting / re holing to match my requirement on a locally procured (ofcourse from his shop) alloys wheel from a Scorpio. The scorpio wheel is 16 inches but at 160 pcd.
See, if he's going in for CNC Boring, then it all depends on the Machine and the Operator to ensure Accuracy. Further, Alloy Wheels are Casted and then machined using CNC Machines, I think I saw this in a Video shared by Sai Mag Wheels, importers of HRS Alloy Wheels (HR).

Regarding the boring of additional holes, we ho have Multiple PCD Alloys in the market with 8+ Holes but then their physical properties are tested and validated. In your case, the 'Jugaad' should be workable from a Layman's point of view (with proper thought) but further aspects can only be enlightened by someone with an Engineering/ Mechanical background.

Last edited by tsk13 : 23rd July 2013 at 22:28.
tsk13 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2013, 22:35   #4
BHPian

Hey Andy,
Is it not possible to get a spacer fabricated locally that also acts as an adapter 139.7 <==> 160?
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 09:32   #5
BHPian

@tsk13,
Your observations are noted.

@Deepak,
The adaptor plate is a weak link and will not withstand vagaries of an OTR. Thats the last part in world I fear will give away.

Regards
Andy
Old 24th July 2013, 10:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Andy,

My 2WD Jeep has been running on 160 PCD alloys, which were drilled and made to 139.7 PCD by the previous owner. I've been using it in the farm for more than 1 year with good load carrying application over really bad roads and its still holding pretty good.

I do not advice the same Jugaad, but, thought my experience would help you make a decision.

Thanks,

Dhanush
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2013, 12:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Andy,

My 2WD Jeep has been running on 160 PCD alloys, which were drilled and made to 139.7 PCD by the previous owner. I've been using it in the farm for more than 1 year with good load carrying application over really bad roads and its still holding pretty good.

I do not advice the same Jugaad, but, thought my experience would help you make a decision.

Thanks,

Dhanush
Hi Dhanush,

Thanks for clarifying on this front, I was actually looking for some info.

But since your jeep is 2WD, but however it does do the load jobs, was wondering pcd conversion would be safe or not on a 4WD jeep primarily used for OTRs, how safe does pcd conversion via adaptor plate sound feasilble to you. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Andy