Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2013, 19:38   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,757
Thanked: 3,355 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Great review Karan and highly informational for all Fortuner owners. Keep it up...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 10:41   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 184
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Thanks and great review. I am planning to do a spare set with steel rims and MTs . Any suggestions ? Are the "Brazillian" rims good. I am looking for a all round hills in the wet, off roading and sand performance.
zipperone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 13:14   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,554
Thanked: 8,098 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Great review Karan and highly informational for all Fortuner owners. Keep it up...
Thanks dkaile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Thanks and great review. I am planning to do a spare set with steel rims and MTs . Any suggestions ? Are the "Brazillian" rims good. I am looking for a all round hills in the wet, off roading and sand performance.
Hey zipperone,

I too had thought about a similar spare setup for Off roading purpose, but i could not source any in 17"ers.

Is this for a Fortuner ?
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 13:19   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 184
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thanks dkaile



Hey zipperone,

I too had thought about a similar spare setup for Off roading purpose, but i could not source any in 17"ers.

Is this for a Fortuner ?
I have seen a setup in Thailand and it looked great. I would want to do only 4 sets and swap when I am doing trips that go off the road or in the desert. Otherwise the OEM dunlops are good for the road and mild off roading
zipperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 13:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,077
Thanked: 1,756 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

My Fortuner has gone 45,000kms and tyres still look like they have life for another 15,000kms.
Once I upgrade I am looking for an all comfort tyre. My car never goes off-roading. It is driven 70% in the city and only 30% on the highway which is also on good flat highways like the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
I find the ride to be pretty bouncy at highway speeds hence looking for a tyre that can help fit my needs better than the OE Dunlops. Any suggestions?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 13:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,554
Thanked: 8,098 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
I have seen a setup in Thailand and it looked great. I would want to do only 4 sets and swap when I am doing trips that go off the road or in the desert. Otherwise the OEM dunlops are good for the road and mild off roading
In India the options for the steel rims remain majorly in the 15-16"er category, also MT tires in 17" setup are hard to source.

Another option can be to downsize, 265/70 R16 can be one option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My Fortuner has gone 45,000kms and tyres still look like they have life for another 15,000kms.
Once I upgrade I am looking for an all comfort tyre. My car never goes off-roading. It is driven 70% in the city and only 30% on the highway which is also on good flat highways like the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
I find the ride to be pretty bouncy at highway speeds hence looking for a tyre that can help fit my needs better than the OE Dunlops. Any suggestions?
Hey Sahil,

Did not know you own a Fortuner as well

Regarding your requirements the best bet would be the Michelin Latitude Cross;
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 2653
Size:  13.2 KB

^ these are 65% on road & 35% Off road tires.

Will be definitely comfier than the OE Dunlops & on highway much more confidence inspiring

Last edited by karan561 : 29th July 2013 at 13:40.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 13:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,077
Thanked: 1,756 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
True, but also MT tires in 17" setup are hard to source.



Hey Sahil,

Did not know you own a Fortuner as well

Regarding your requirements the best bet would be the Michelin Latitude Cross;
Attachment 1118116

^ these are 65% on road & 35% Off road tires.

Will be definitely comfier than the OE Dunlops & on highway much more confidence inspiring
had it for over 3 years now Here is the ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ed-inside.html (Finally Fortunate ! Toyota Fortuner (Dealer trouble mentioned inside))

Are these Michelins available in Mumbai? Any clue on approx pricing?

I was considering Yoko Geolander H/T as it is a Highway Terrain tyre hence I thought it would suit my requirement better. I think even Goodyear has a H/T tyre.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 16:06   #23
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Are these Michelins available in Mumbai? Any clue on approx pricing?

I was considering Yoko Geolander H/T as it is a Highway Terrain tyre hence I thought it would suit my requirement better. I think even Goodyear has a H/T tyre.
The Michelins would cost anywhere between 16000-16500 a piece.

yokohama,bridgestone and goodyear in HT's should be under 13000.
bhp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 19:46   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,554
Thanked: 8,098 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
had it for over 3 years now Here is the ownership thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ed-inside.html (Finally Fortunate ! Toyota Fortuner (Dealer trouble mentioned inside))

Are these Michelins available in Mumbai? Any clue on approx pricing?

I was considering Yoko Geolander H/T as it is a Highway Terrain tyre hence I thought it would suit my requirement better. I think even Goodyear has a H/T tyre.
Yes, These Michelins are officially available in India

Heres the LINK from Michelin India page.

Regarding pricing, it is anywhere between 16-16.5k/piece as rightly pointed out by bhp.

Michelins will be any day better in ride quality, grip & highway mannerisms than the Yoko & the Good Year's pointed out by you.

PS - Infact the Michelins were my pick too but was skeptical about their Off road performance so picked the Continental Cross Contact A/T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
The Michelins would cost anywhere between 16000-16500 a piece.

yokohama,bridgestone and goodyear in HT's should be under 13000.
Thanks for the spot on quotes bhp
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 19:53   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,077
Thanked: 1,756 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Thanks for the inputs guys!

How much thread dept is the minimum permissible one should change the current Dunlops at?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 21:10   #26
BHPian
 
WasavaTyres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 702
Thanked: 197 Times
Default

Goodyear too has started importing the OE size for fortuner now. White lettering on the sidewall, and AT tread pattern. Price should be 12,300 approx. Pics attached :

Name:  image1794565334.jpg
Views: 4067
Size:  568.3 KB
Attached Images
 
WasavaTyres is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 22:04   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,359
Thanked: 918 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
I love the 1st snap too, thankfully hadn't have to wait long to capture this shot

Check out another form of the same 1st picture;
Hi Karan,

This picture is too good. I guess Toyota can use it for their ad's. Great home screen picture with the rain.

Quote:
Goodyear too has started importing the OE size for fortuner now. White lettering on the sidewall, and AT tread pattern. Price should be 12,300 approx
Hi Wasava, That is great information for the tyre options for T-Fortuner. Many thanks.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 23:07   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,554
Thanked: 8,098 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Thanks for the inputs guys!

How much thread dept is the minimum permissible one should change the current Dunlops at?
Not sure about the minimum tread required, but normally the OE dunlops can be good for upto 50-55k kms easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Goodyear too has started importing the OE size for fortuner now. White lettering on the sidewall, and AT tread pattern. Price should be 12,300 approx. Pics attached :

Attachment 1118352
Woah, those are some good looking tires for sure (Especially love the white lining effect)

But somehow Good Year as a brand has always failed to impress me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Karan,

This picture is too good. I guess Toyota can use it for their ad's. Great home screen picture with the rain.
Thanks again Surya

Last edited by karan561 : 29th July 2013 at 23:08.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 13:49   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

HI All, It is very informative to know the tyres and the upgrades. I for one changed my Scorpio to Yoko Geo and they are very good, for T Fort which is about 20K on the OE Dunlop, it still is fine for another 30K, if I need to change, the Conti looks really rugged not sure if it would be good for pure city and highway drive unlike the Michelin Latitude or even Yoko
Rajesh1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 12:11   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,554
Thanked: 8,098 Times
Default re: My Fortuner Tyre Upgrade: Continental Cross Contact A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
HI All, It is very informative to know the tyres and the upgrades. I for one changed my Scorpio to Yoko Geo and they are very good, for T Fort which is about 20K on the OE Dunlop, it still is fine for another 30K, if I need to change, the Conti looks really rugged not sure if it would be good for pure city and highway drive unlike the Michelin Latitude or even Yoko
Hey Rajesh as i said there isnt much compromise on the comfort or the highway mannerisms compared to the gain in off/no road conditions.

So in short you get more than you lose with these Cross Contact A/T's

However on the other hand the Michelin Latitude Cross are targeted to be more comfort oriented and have better high speed control, at the end of the day they are Michelins after all
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Fortuner : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Turbanator Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 63 18th April 2017 19:56
Fiat Avventura vs VW Cross Polo vs Toyota Etios Cross vs Ford EcoSport a4anurag Hatchbacks 14 16th July 2015 10:22
CUV Wars: EcoSport vs Avventura vs Cross Polo vs Liva Cross vs Premier Rio devarshi84 What Car? 19 4th December 2014 03:25
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks