Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 13th June 2017, 09:01   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
I'm looking at buying Yokohama Earth-1 185/65/R14 for my Figo. Any authorized dealer near Electronics City (Hosur road) Bangalore?
I'm using same spec earth 1s on my 2017 Figo diesel and they are really good. If you are okay to travel till Lalbagh, BHPian Nikhil has his authorised tyre shop there.
Tyre Professionals

No, 60 Kanakpura Road, Basavangudi, Between Sagar Motors and Metlife Building,, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560041, India
+91 80 4169 2117

https://g.co/kgs/1g0YwT
kptraveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 20:20   #407
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Hi guys. Just replaced the tyres of my Honda Brio with Yokohama Earth 1's (175/65 R14). Just look at the condition of the stock Goodyear DP-1's that came with the car. Real testament to how crap OEM tyres really are. 4 years and 36,000 km - almost 50% of tread depth still there but the tyres are bent, cracked and hard as stone. They had also begun to suffer an obscene amount of punctures recently. In the last 6 months they had no grip even on dry surfaces. They locked up and slipped everywhere, exponentially so on concrete roads.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_131714049.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_132304646.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_132311548.jpg

So, I decided to get them replaced this monsoon especially before a trip. No trip on the cards, but it was time; especially with GST and stuff there is only one direction for the prices to progress. I got a smashing deal at Darshan Tyres, Sinhagad road. This place always has the cheapest rates for tyres in Pune. The acclaimed Lokmanya Tyres quoted Rs. 4400 but Darshan had them for just Rs. 3900! Alignment free. With balancing weights and taxes the figure was rounded off to Rs. 16,000. I got just Rs. 500 as buyback for the DP-1s. So total damage - Rs. 15,500. Not bad, I think, for Yokohamas.

I talked to the owner and he said that he always keeps the lowest rate possible to ensure quick turn around. Tyres lying around keeps money tied up and he prefers tyres moving out as soon as they are in stock. I've always got the cheapest rates from him for our other cars and bikes as well. He also always stocks good tyres. Many other tyre places don't have the tyres we enthusiasts want, just generic stuff.

But alignment at his place is a little bit flawed I think. Exact same problem happened with our Ford Fusion (4 years ago) as well as my Brio today. After alignment the steering wheel is not centered properly. Because it had happened earlier, I stayed there to confirm the tech centered it properly, but the problem still occurred. The steering wheel is slightly turned to the left when the car is going straight. It's not perfectly dead centre even though the car is tracking straight and true. I called him and he told me to come back after a few days and get it realigned if required. But I think I'll get it done at Honda. Does anybody know why this might be happening?

Coming to the review of the tyres - Can't really say much. Have barely driven after changing the tyres. But I did notice the steering getting much lighter as everybody has said in this thread. I was expecting it, but not to this extent. The car also feels lighter on its feet and more eager to roll. I'm liking the lighter feel of the car, the steering, not so much. I shall reserve my judgement after I complete 1000 km probably. But I have to say, the tyres don't really look as impressive as I thought they would, not that it has anything to do with performance. I'm sure they will be pretty good is every aspect.

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_134353333.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_134650141.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_140117966_hdr.jpg

Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)-img_20170705_181458304.jpg

I have a query. I can't figure out the date of manufacturing. The numbers don't seem to follow the typical 'weeks-year' pattern. The last pic above is the number on my tyres. Can somebody decipher it for me?

Thank you. Cheers!

Last edited by thumpingheart : 5th July 2017 at 20:41. Reason: Photos can't be seen
thumpingheart is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 20:58   #408
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Yokohama Earth-1 Tyres (designed for India)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Few of my friends have got these earth 1 tires but none of them are satisfied. Too much wear, bulges, belt cuts.

Tires purchased were in 14" & 15". Cars - Swift ZDi, Indigo Marina, i20.

The Geolanders are doing fine BTW. Strange..
Times have changed. They were apparently the initial batches of Earth 1. Nowadays, few friends have done over 10,000 kms on their swifts/i20's with the Yokohama Earth 1 and the tires are holding up brilliantly.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 11:52   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Times have changed. They were apparently the initial batches of Earth 1. Nowadays, few friends have done over 10,000 kms on their swifts/i20's with the Yokohama Earth 1 and the tires are holding up brilliantly.
The Yokohama Earth 1 was launched in late 2013. My 2014 Figo TDCi is nearing 3 years and the 50,000Kms mark and it has been running on Yokohama Earth 1 ever since I bought the car as I got the stock tyres replaced immediately after purchase. It has been holding up pretty well with literally nothing negative to comment about. I feel it has another 5000+ Kms left on them or may be even more.

Must say that I was one of the first few to have opted for the Yoko Earth 1 earlier in 2014 without much deliberation. I doubt whether there were any issues with the initial batches as stated by you or may be I was just too lucky
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2017, 11:02   #410
BHPian

I changed all the four tyres on my Mitsubishi Lancer to Yokohoma Earth 1 after doing extensive research for about 3 months. My older tyres were Bridgestone Turanza and a Stepney MRF ZVTS. The tyres had become extremely hard and lost their shape due to time and regular wear and tear.

I shortlisted everything from Ceat to Apollo to MRF to Michelin to Bridgestone. I found Yokohama to be the best for my usage pattern as well as my pocket. Since the day I have fitted them about 1 month back I have only positive things to say about the tyres. The tyres have made the steering feel butter smooth and light besides improving my ride quality as well. Since its raining I tested it on water logged roads and found its performance satisfactory. They are reasonably silent on the highways too and I no longer need to pump up the volume of my car stereo. Overall a to Yokohama Earth 1.

I will keep posting my experiences with them as years/kms pass.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 20th July 2017 at 11:03.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote