Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2013, 16:42   #1
BHPian
 
sunnyman_46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 41
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Dear friends,

Please suggest me with options for upgrading the tyres of my HONDA BRIO S MT. Currently it runs on stock tyres which is MRF ZVT (175 / 65 R 14).
sunnyman_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 17:55   #2
BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 900
Thanked: 303 Times
Default re: Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyman_46 View Post
Dear friends,

Please suggest me with options for upgrading the tyres of my HONDA BRIO S MT. Currently it runs on stock tyres which is MRF ZVT (175 / 65 R 14).
What is your preference? There are various options available in the market to suit your requirement.

Performance, comfort, longitivity and so on.

The most popular ones being discussed on this forum are Yoko, XMT and BS.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 16:04   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 44,103
Thanked: 64,951 Times
Default re: Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

The Brio is a super hot hatch. With that kind of power on tap, I remember the rubbish MRFs giving up way before the car did.

Please get high-quality rubber in the 185/60 R14 size. Difference is a conservative 1%. It will transform your handling & dynamics.

1010 Calculator

Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-honda-brio-tyre-size-comparison.png
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2014, 15:06   #4
BHPian
 
Rollingwheels26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Brio is a super hot hatch. With that kind of power on tap, I remember the rubbish MRFs giving up way before the car did.

Please get high-quality rubber in the 185/60 R14 size. Difference is a conservative 1%. It will transform your handling & dynamics.

1010 Calculator

Attachment 1153857

Hi GTO,

A newbie to the team-BHP forum here and desperately looking for advice . I am planning to purchase a Brio VX (Automatic Variant) next week. Now i was thinking of upgrading the tyres and i had few queries-

1) you mentioned in your post that there will be a increase in handling and dynamics, which i guess can be atributed to the section width increase, but wont there be an impact on the fuel economy ? An issue since the Automatic version seems to have a lower FE than manual to begin with !

2) Am planning to go in for after market alloys and while i looked upon the steel tyres vs alloy debate on the net as well as on team-bhp (
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...teel-rims.html (Tubeless tyres on Steel rims)), am more confused than ever. When it comes to dealing with potholes Some people say the alloys are bad for dealing with it while others say its the steel wheels which are bad. Now i plan to use the car to commute to office and about 40% of the route in on highway road conditions while 60% are your average Indian roads with the occassional bumps/potholes and , once in a blue moon, a monster pothole/bump. So what would you suggest ?

3) Will changing the tyres/rims have any sort of effect on warranty or ,heaven forbid, insurance claim in event of a car crash ?


Please feel free to move my query if this is the wrong place ! And yes i will be posting a big fat owner review once the car is with me


Thanks,
Rollingwheels26
Rollingwheels26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 09:37   #5
BHPian
 
Thilak29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BLR>PTR
Posts: 324
Thanked: 249 Times
Default re: Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Brio is a super hot hatch. With that kind of power on tap, I remember the rubbish MRFs giving up way before the car did.

Please get high-quality rubber in the 185/60 R14 size. Difference is a conservative 1%. It will transform your handling & dynamics.

1010 Calculator

Attachment 1153857
I'm looking for replacement, as you said MRF ones are nearing death, any noiseless ones I can opt ?
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 16:29   #6
BHPian
 
Thilak29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BLR>PTR
Posts: 324
Thanked: 249 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Brio is a super hot hatch. With that kind of power on tap, I remember the rubbish MRFs giving up way before the car did.

Please get high-quality rubber in the 185/60 R14 size. Difference is a conservative 1%. It will transform your handling & dynamics.

1010 Calculator

Attachment 1153857

While I upgrade to 185, does the tyre pressure recommendation change or stays as suggested by Honda ?


Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 09:57   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 312
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Honda Brio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
While I upgrade to 185, does the tyre pressure recommendation change or stays as suggested by Honda ?


Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Pressure should go down.
itzzme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 16:56   #8
BHPian
 
Rollingwheels26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic

Hi surya I too am getting a Brio AT (Red colour ! Same pinch !) in 2 days and yours is only the 2nd Brio AT i have seen on Team BHP (other than sgiitk's obviously). You had mentioned that you had changed your 'love-o-matic's' (Sorry Honda's tag line is stuck in my head ) shoes to 185/65. And i was thinking of doing the same but was wondering if the increase in sidewall height will affect handling adversely and benefit comfort vis-a-vis potholes. your views ?
Rollingwheels26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default Re: Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
You had mentioned that you had changed your 'love-o-matic's' shoes to 185/65.

And i was thinking of doing the same but was wondering if the increase in sidewall height will affect handling adversely and benefit comfort vis-a-vis potholes. your views ?
No issues buddy.

Stock: MRF ZVTS (175/65 R14);

Upgrade (by Getsurya): Yokohama Earth-1(185/65 R14)

Here all I see is the contact patch has increased so the comfort felt on the move is more than stock and better handling + dynamics. I don't think it should be an issue at all.

Congratulations for the Brio AT.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:37   #10
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,896 Times
Default Re: Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No issues buddy.

Stock: MRF ZVTS (175/65 R14);

Upgrade (by Getsurya): Yokohama Earth-1(185/65 R14)

Here all I see is the contact patch has increased so the comfort felt on the move is more than stock and better handling + dynamics. I don't think it should be an issue at all.

Congratulations for the Brio AT.

Anurag.
Anurag you are calculating it incorrectly The 65 means 65% of contact area.

175/65 means contact is 175mm and sidewall height is 65% of 175mm or 0.65*175=113.75mm.

If you change to 185/65 the contact patch is 185mm and sidewall height is 0.65*185=120.25mm.

Approx 7mm increase in sidewall height and 14mm increase in overall diameter.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd June 2014 at 19:04.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:39   #11
BHPian
 
Rollingwheels26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 80 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
No issues buddy.

Stock: MRF ZVTS (175/65 R14);

Upgrade (by Getsurya): Yokohama Earth-1(185/65 R14)

Here all I see is the contact patch has increased so the comfort felt on the move is more than stock and better handling + dynamics. I don't think it should be an issue at all.

Congratulations for the Brio AT.

Anurag.

Thank you will be posting a detailed review soon as well And i realise comfort will be more but if my knowledge of physics is right, it could be wrong , the increase in sidewall width means that there is more rubber mass that could shift if the car makes a turn at a high speed . That's what my worry is about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anurag you are calculating it incorrectly The 65 means 65% of contact area.

175/65 means contact is 175mm and sidewall height is 65% of 175mm or 0.65*175=113.75mm.

If you change to 185/65 the contact patch is 185mm and sidewall height is 0.65*185=120.25mm.

Approx 7mm increase in sidewall height and 14mm in ijcrea
The increase in side wall width is good for comfort for sure ! But will it have a negative effect on turning at high speeds that might occur due to an evasive maneuver during an emergency ?

Last edited by Rollingwheels26 : 2nd June 2014 at 19:09. Reason: Grammar mistake
Rollingwheels26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:13   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,896 Times
Default Re: Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
The increase in side wall width is good for comfort for sure ! But will it have a negative effect on turning at high speeds that might occur due to an evasive maneuver during an emergency ?
Sidewall height will improve ride and since you are going to 185 the grip will also improve. A 7mm increase in sidewall height will not have a negative impact on high speed turning or evasive maneuver. It's really marginal and you will probably feel the difference only on a track.

If you are still not sure you can go to 195/60-14 which helps the handling even more. There are a few members who have gone for this size on the Brio.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,370
Thanked: 9,802 Times
Default Re: Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you are still not sure you can go to 195/60-14 which helps the handling even more. There are a few members who have gone for this size on the Brio.
If one upsizes to 15 inch alloys then what will it be?

Can one use 185/65 R15?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:20   #14
BHPian
 
Rollingwheels26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 68
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Sidewall height will improve ride and since you are going to 185 the grip will also improve. A 7mm increase in sidewall height will not have a negative impact on high speed turning or evasive maneuver. It's really marginal and you will probably feel the difference only on a track.

If you are still not sure you can go to 195/60-14 which helps the handling even more. There are a few members who have gone for this size on the Brio.
195 ?? wont that hit fuel efficiency drastically ? Besides isnt this too drastic an upsize for this small a car (engine) ? And while it certainly has a better sidewall size than the 185/65 (117mm against 120mm) IMHO the increased width is an overkill


And as regards to MY Brio- its not meant for fast driving but rather for everyday office/highway trips ! So comfort is a definite bonus. I am strongly considering 185/65 but just want to make sure that i wont make things worse in case of an emergency as compared to the OEM 175/65 or aftermarket 185/60 tyres... Safety first !
Rollingwheels26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 19:30   #15
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13,764
Thanked: 16,896 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
If one upsizes to 15 inch alloys then what will it be?

Can one use 185/65 R15?

Anurag.
Nope cause when you go to 15" the overall diameter will increase by 1" or 25mm. That will mess with the clearances at the front wheel.

The general idea is to keep overall diameter as close to stock as possible. So this is an approx way to do it:

14":
175/65-14 (OE size) OD =583mm
185/60-14 OD = 577mm (Gc will go down but steering will be little sharper)
185/65-14 OD = 596mm (OD goes up quite a bit but depending on car it is usually ok)
195/60-14 = 589.6mm

15"
185/55-15 OD = 584.5mm
195/55-15 OD = 595.5mm
195/50-15 OD = 576mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingwheels26 View Post
195 ?? wont that hit fuel efficiency drastically ? Besides isnt this too drastic an upsize for this small a car (engine) ? And while it certainly has a better sidewall size than the 185/65 (117mm against 120mm) IMHO the increased width is an overkill


And as regards to MY Brio- its not meant for fast driving but rather for everyday office/highway trips ! So comfort is a definite bonus. I am strongly considering 185/65 but just want to make sure that i wont make things worse in case of an emergency as compared to the OEM 175/65 or aftermarket 185/60 tyres... Safety first !
Stick to stock 175/65-14 or 185/60-14. 185/65-14 won't look great on the Brio. Too tall and may touch on full lock at the front.

195 will have an impact of FE and steering will get heavier so in your case don't bother with the 195.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd June 2014 at 19:32.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Screwdriva Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 296 25th October 2016 13:51
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shuvd Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 604 19th July 2016 00:13
Got Brio'RED': Honda Brio VX Automatic getsurya Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 16th December 2015 02:09
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017 kpzen The Indian Car Scene 377 6th September 2015 02:55
Stig gets Brio'ed! Red Honda Brio SMT (O) adityasiera Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 16th March 2015 19:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks