Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 26th August 2017, 17:16   #331
BHPian

Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xistinchaos View Post
For my Honda City 2011 VMT, I changed the stock Goodyears to Pirellis - Cinturato P1. The Goodyears had done about 30,000 km in 4 years so the change. I did not want the same tyres again as I wanted less noisier tyres and my experience of pressure holding in Goodyears was not great. The P1 in contrast makes very low noise at high speeds or on concrete roads. I have found them to be great for handling in city as well as highway conditions. I typically don't exceed a speed of 90 kmph, rarely at 100 kmph, so I would not know performance for speed higher than these. The tyres also hold air pressure for quite sometime. I check it every week without fail and I have to top up once in 15 days or so. I have not noticed any drop in mileage either.

The dealer from whom I bought them recommended nitrogen filling but I don't have a petrol pump on my commute which has a nitrogen air stations, so I fill normal air.
Bumping up an old post.Just wanted to know what was your overall experience with the P1. When did you finally change them?
I had changed my tyres to P1 and had a good experience initially.But after 1.5 years one tyre had a sidewall puncture
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 00:16   #332

Default Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Been using the MC5 on the Linea and super happy with them, planning to upgrade my 2011 City to the same tyres. Excellent handling, low noise and fantastic grip and comfort are the reasons I have decided to stick to them.
I am using MC5 on my 2014 city since January 2017. Done about 6.5k on them. Extremely happy with these set of shoes. I think they are a good mix between noise and hardness.

Planing a 700km drive on Saturday. Hope it's a comfortable one.
AkshatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2017, 15:19   #333

Hi All, I have a Dec'14 Honda City iVtec V Petrol. I bought it around 8 months back, when the original user had done 32k kms. The car has now done around 43k kms and the front tyres are worn out. Apparently the first owner did not rotate tyres regularly and hence the rear tyres are still pretty good. Although as much as I would like to go for an upgrade (195/60), changing the rear tyres that are still pretty good feels like as a waste of money. The car is currently running on stock MRF's 175/60.

What are the best options that I have? Something that I can think of...
1) buy one new tyre and use that along with the spare, which is still new in the front.
2) buy a set of new tyres for the front for now. Keep the spare and rear tyres as is.
3) chuck all and go for an upgrade with all four new tyres. (what to do with the spare in that case?)

If the tyres are of the same size, is it safe to have different brands for front and rear tyres?
Raviganatra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 20:12   #334
BHPian

My Vx CVT is close to 4 years now and has done 38k. The original 175x65 Michelin XM1 tyres have started showing cracks on the surface with chipping that I am not very comfortable with.

After my office in Bangalore shifted to a part of the city that takes me through the thick city traffic, of late, I have been using my small car ( A-Star AT) more as it weaves well through the traffic better due to its size, which means that the City also gets to stand in the garage more often though it does come out for all family outings.

After doing some research, I finally decided to change my tyres today and went in for Yokohama Earth-1 195x60xR15 in place of the Michelin XM1 175x65xR15 that I had been using. My requirement was tyres that handle the potholes of Bangalore well while being silent and long lasting. The first impressions are that the wider Earth-1 soaks in the imperfections of the road better than my last tyre . I got pretty recently manufactured lot- week 44 tyres (end Oct) probably because these tyres are manufactured in India itself and donot have to sail in from far off shores.
Attached Thumbnails
4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20171125_124453.jpg  

4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20171125_124508.jpg  

outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2017, 18:09   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
After doing some research, I finally decided to change my tyres today and went in for Yokohama Earth-1 195x60xR15 in place of the Michelin XM1 175x65xR15 that I had been using.
@outdoorlover,
I am looking at the same upgrade. Wanted your feedback on the same. Has the upgrade had the desired results? Also, what has been its impact on fuel efficiency?
autorahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2017, 19:12   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
@outdoorlover,
I am looking at the same upgrade. Wanted your feedback on the same. Has the upgrade had the desired results? Also, what has been its impact on fuel efficiency?
Hi Autorahul, I am quite happy with the change. The rise is much more pliant and cushioned better. I don't see any appreciable drop in efficiency yet though most of driving post the upgrade has been within Bangalore city. Hope that helps!
outdoorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 01:48   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviganatra1981 View Post
Hi All, I have a Dec'14 Honda City iVtec V Petrol. I bought it around 8 months back, when the original user had done 32k kms. The car has now done around 43k kms and the front tyres are worn out. Apparently the first owner did not rotate tyres regularly and hence the rear tyres are still pretty good. Although as much as I would like to go for an upgrade (195/60), changing the rear tyres that are still pretty good feels like as a waste of money. The car is currently running on stock MRF's 175/60.

What are the best options that I have? Something that I can think of...
1) buy one new tyre and use that along with the spare, which is still new in the front.
2) buy a set of new tyres for the front for now. Keep the spare and rear tyres as is.
3) chuck all and go for an upgrade with all four new tyres. (what to do with the spare in that case?)

If the tyres are of the same size, is it safe to have different brands for front and rear tyres?
Hi guys, any thoughts on the questions below?
Raviganatra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 09:25   #338
BHPian

After reading through this thread, I've decided to go ahead with Continental MC5 - 195/60R15 tyres. Placed an order and the dealer said delivery would be done in 2 days.

I've been on Michelin XM2 for the past 5 years and driven 50,000 kms on them. Excellent value for money, not a single puncture on hyderabad roads.

Mine is a Honda City iVtec 2010 model and does not have alloy wheels.
Just checking, would I need new rims to upgrade to 195/60 size? I'm planning to replace the car with the latest 2017 iteration soon, so I don't want to spend too much money on tyre upgrade. If the stock rims are not compatible, I'll have to return the tyre.

Regards,
ArvindYoga
Arvindyoga is offline   Reply With Quote