Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 5th October 2016, 09:04   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Jazz : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Other than the improved clearance, wont this bring a much better ride comfort.
Yes, compromising the handling characteristics.

Quote:
How will this affect braking ? Isn't better road grip and braking connected ?
Tire width, pattern & compound contributes more for road grip rather than the section height. Increase in overall diameter requires higher braking force (in turn, higher pedal effort)
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 10:16   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
, compromising the handling characteristics.

)
So you mean to say there are more -ves that I am probably gonna bear just for the ride comfort when it comes to increasing the circumference of the tyre ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

Tire width, pattern & compound contributes more for road grip rather than the section height. Increase in overall diameter requires higher braking force (in turn, higher pedal effort)

Noted ! But in the image you had shared in terms the variation in the diameter. Isnt the change very marginal ?

How bad can the braking go !

The car would be mostly driven by my sister and hence the concern.
peterjim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2016, 11:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean to say there are more -ves that I am probably gonna bear just for the ride comfort when it comes to increasing the circumference of the tyre ?
Any change in vehicle spec will have both Pros & Cons directly and indirectly. It is hard to estimate by simple means.
Just to give an example, increase in overall tire diameter will increase the input load to suspension and other components by Kinematics (and basic engineering principle) whereas increase in air volume (side wall height) makes the overall suspension softer and hence reduces the input load. So we couldn't conclude if tire upgrade will result in positive or negative impacts.

Quote:
Noted ! But in the image you had shared in terms the variation in the diameter. Isnt the change very marginal ?

How bad can the braking go !

The car would be mostly driven by my sister and hence the concern.
Yes, the difference is marginal, but matters a lot when comes to part design.
Cost sensitive market & competition drive companies towards lean design, with lesser factor of safety. Also in the era of common platform design, parts from a smaller vehicle might be used in a bigger vehicle (of same / similar platform) with very less margin of safety.

To put it simple, you will have deterioration in braking (may be marginal) but the same will be compromised if better rubbers were used. To put it further simple, go for 195/65R15 if the tires don't interfere with surrounding parts
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:07   #94

Hi all,

I am thinking of changing the tyres on my 2011 Jazz, which has done around 35000 kms so far. Currently I have Michelin XM1, I am thinking to continue with the same. I had a query regarding the spare tyre, in that it has not been used even once in all the 6+ years that I have had the car. So I was wondering whether I need to change this as well, or whether I can continue to keep it and just change the other four. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Ropemonk is offline   Reply With Quote