Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd July 2006, 06:24   #1
BANNED

Default Alloys plus tyres for Indica

1)
a. What might be some advantages and disadvantages of having tubeless tyres over the standard tube tyres.
b. Goodyear or Bridgestone - which of the two is a better choice.
c. I haven't purchased the vehicle yet, but if I do decide to go with tubeless tyres, is it advisable to trade the car's brand new tyres for tubeless ones at the TATA dealer or from the outside.
2. What alloys would one suggest for the Indica. And can they be purchased from any tyre dealer?

Thanks
luvjascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 06:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Exchange teh tyres with a tyre dealer as you would get a better price.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 12:24   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

1. [a] Yes ... Tubeless tyres are more superior to tubed tyres. longevity being the USP. Tubeless tyres dont loose air when punctured, you can drive the punctured tyre for a while.

[b] Goodyear / bridgestone both are good ....

[c] trade in ur new tyres at a proper Tyre/alloys showroom u will get a better deal.

2. Lots of designs are available in Chrome, metal finish, black, grey, deep dish , offset, gun metal finish and hard chrome. Look for a known brand or indian make like AURA and NEO if u want warranty.

- Since u are going in for a tyre + rim change how bout upsizing?
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2006, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default Reconsider ur choice

please reconsider ur choice. Indica, i feel is for the travels guys, who want to make a quick buck, as long as it lasts, trust me, go for a maruthi or even a hyundai & u will see the difference. Indica is very pooooor in quality, handling, style, looks, class,etccccc.... (Except mileage). if mileage is the only thing on ur mind, go ahead, get the indica, forget about the rest.
cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2006, 17:53   #5
BHPian

i changed my indica's tyre as well as alloys, tyre - bridgestone- 185/65 TL
and alloys- 13" 12 spokes, aura 5 pieces..

now my car is damn, good in driving and controls even on sharp turn and wet roads... go for it
vahss_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2006, 19:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahss_11

now my car is damn, good in driving and controls even on sharp turn and wet roads... go for it
gr8, enjoy your drive. Could you post the approx price of this upgrade.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 02:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahss_11

Boss.. do you realise that you will now have about 5% speedometer errors..105 kmph will be shown as 100kmph... the correct upsize for 165/65 R 13 is 185/60 R 13...

check out http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 01:07   #8
BANNED

@ vahss_11 : Did you have the tyres and alloys fitted from the same place and how much did you spend for this set-up?
I reside in Mumbai. Any place you recommend?

@Buffetfan : Thanks for correcting the upsize specifics. How may I ask (from the web link) were you able to figure out the correct upsize for any given tyre size?
Old 12th July 2006, 01:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
@ vahss_11 : Did you have the tyres and alloys fitted from the same place and how much did you spend for this set-up?
I reside in Mumbai. Any place you recommend?

@Buffetfan : Thanks for correcting the upsize specifics. How may I ask (from the web link) were you able to figure out the correct upsize for any given tyre size?
Just scroll down on the page and there is a calculator on this page itself to check different tyre/rim sizes and their rolling radius....generally one should try to keep the rolloing radius within 3-4% (if not more accurate)
Old 12th July 2006, 08:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

i've had my 02 indica with 185/60 R13 Michelin TL and the performance was fantastic..lasted 40K kms..the ride is also very compliant and great..go for it..Michelin Rulez..
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 01:29   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
1. [a] Yes ... Tubeless tyres are more superior to tubed tyres. longevity being the USP. Tubeless tyres dont loose air when punctured, you can drive the punctured tyre for a while.

[b] Goodyear / bridgestone both are good ....

[c] trade in ur new tyres at a proper Tyre/alloys showroom u will get a better deal.

2. Lots of designs are available in Chrome, metal finish, black, grey, deep dish , offset, gun metal finish and hard chrome. Look for a known brand or indian make like AURA and NEO if u want warranty.

- Since u are going in for a tyre + rim change how bout upsizing?
If I wanted to go with Goodyear tyres, how would I know which particular model to go for? For instance, Bridgestone's Potenza.
The standard Indica tyres are 165 X 65 R 13. Are Aura alloys recommended and if I decided to go for an upsize, what would be the appropriate tyre dimensions?
Old 17th July 2006, 02:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

In Goodyear... I have Goodyear Eagle NCT5 on my Baleno and Goodyear Eagle GA+ on my santro...both tubeless (185/65 R14 and 165/65 R13)
I am pretty happy with the Eagle series and I am sure you will like it too.. especially the Goodyear Eagle GA+ 165/65 R13 is around 1900 Rs/tyre...