Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 13th January 2016, 17:56   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Staggered setup on a Peted Laura TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
I don't know about the other options but a set up with wider front tires doesn't exactly look good, a square set up would look much better.
Thanks for the reply batterylow, but i have H&R 20mm wheel spacers at the rear, so i suppose it will match up with the wider front and slimmer rear tyres, if opted for it. And about the looks, i am not much concerned as my priority right now is to get a good setup, which will bring out the true potential of the modifications.
SKODA_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 10:15   #17
BHPian

Default Larger front tyres than rear or vice-a-versa, for a FWD car.

The car being a petrol Lancer, presently shod with 185/70r14 Turanza ER60, excellent condition with plenty of tread left but still considering a tyre change with below options and seeking expert opinion ...

1> Replace all 4 with same size, maybe MRF ZLO that will give me a softer ride, lesser tyre noise and shorter braking distance but more body roll and fear of punchurs?

2> Replace just the front tyres with 175/70r14, effectively lose 5mm GC at the front; fine with me since stock GC is 185mm + 2mm that was added later. Benefits = peppier drive, lighter steering, improved FE but increased braking distance.

3> Replace just the rear tyres with 175/70r14, lose 5mm GC at the rear; may scrape the bottom at full load over speed breakers. Benefits = less chances of aqua-planing and fish-tailing.

What other pros and cons am I missing, please comment.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 04:32   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Larger front tyres than rear or vice-a-versa, for a FWD car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
The car being a petrol Lancer, presently shod with 185/70r14 Turanza ER60, excellent condition with plenty of tread left but still considering a tyre change with below options and seeking expert opinion ...

1> Replace all 4 with same size, maybe MRF ZLO that will give me a softer ride, lesser tyre noise and shorter braking distance but more body roll and fear of punchurs?

2> Replace just the front tyres with 175/70r14, effectively lose 5mm GC at the front; fine with me since stock GC is 185mm + 2mm that was added later. Benefits = peppier drive, lighter steering, improved FE but increased braking distance.

3> Replace just the rear tyres with 175/70r14, lose 5mm GC at the rear; may scrape the bottom at full load over speed breakers. Benefits = less chances of aqua-planing and fish-tailing.

What other pros and cons am I missing, please comment.
Hi, no expert here, rather been following yours and few other's Lancer/Cedia owners thread (which are pretty few nowadays :-( ) to have my notes.

Are the above mentioned points are the sole reason for you to change the tyres?
I understand you might be sticking with 70% profile for the ride comfort, but 185/70 is an overkill and I wonder if it scrubs the wheel well and the fender liners.

Are you having the OE 14" alloys or aftermarket ones with different J and ETs?
Do you have +2 mm gc in the rear too?

I felt best with the 185/60 on the OE 14 "ers w.r.t ride and steering feedback on pot-hole ridden Bangalore roads and Bombay-Pune roads.

Sharing a link with wheel and tyre configuration done for the Lancer specs:
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?whe...-60-14X5.5ET46

P.S: Please share some pics of your Lancer in the appropriate threads.
Presently, I am running 195/60 on 15", it shows up (approx) same speedo reading as the GPS.
arighna.dutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017, 09:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
I understand you might be sticking with 70% profile for the ride comfort, but 185/70 is an overkill and I wonder if it scrubs the wheel well and the fender liners.
No, they don't.
The car came stock with 175/80r13 (SLXi model 2001) with 185mm GC.
When it was time to change tyres there wasn't a 80's profile tyre available in the market so I had to upsize the alloys to 14 inch and then fit them with 185/70r14. This resulted in +2mm GC overall.

Quote:
Are you having the OE 14" alloys or aftermarket ones with different J and ETs?
OE alloys were 13", PCD=100, ET=45 and Width=5.5J
The Swift-Dzire 14" OE alloys (below) were a perfect match and that is what I have presently.
Name:  Swift_Dzire_OE_wheel.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  77.9 KB

Quote:
]Presently, I am running 195/60 on 15"
Isn't that an overkill? You run the risk of aqua-planing and also running heavy footed.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 23:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt best with the 185/60 on the OE 14 "ers w.r.t ride and steering feedback on pot-hole ridden Bangalore roads and Bombay-Pune roads.

P.S: Please share some pics of your Lancer in the appropriate threads.
Presently, I am running 195/60 on 15", it shows up (approx) same speedo reading as the GPS.
195/60R15 is the perfect upsize for GLX/SLX/LE models with OEM 13" wheels and GC of 185. I run them now for 10 years, and still running great. Nearing 150k km on the ODO.
I adjusted ET to ET+40 instead of +46 OEM while getting the alloys to allow a bit more margin for the wider rims I put in...
lancer_rit is online now   Reply With Quote