Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 20th July 2006, 05:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wink Tyre Polish - Does it serve any purpose ?

Having seen people using tyre polishes on their cars to make it gorgeous and within a KM the tyres returning to their old dirty state, I've always wondered why should we waste money on crappy Tyre Polishes ? After all, the cars are meant to be driven fast and it's quite impossible to filter out the dirt on the road and take precautions not to step on these filths unlike when we walk.

And it's quite impossible to make tyres look good on rural roads and during the monsoons. If someone wants to take good care of the tyres, is it enough to look for any irregularities like wear & tear, sharp objects on the tyres etc.

So the question is why should we buy these tyre polishes ? If it's just to make the tyres look glamorous, then I would say that it's just 100% waste of money !!!

If you know any other uses for Tyre polish, share here....
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2006, 06:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

No replies yet; Seems to be like that no-one is using the tyre polish in Team-BHP !!!
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2006, 15:02   #3

hi mithun.........if you look at different tyre brands you will find that some need polish to look shiney whereas others dont....in my experience MRF,JK or APOLLO look dirty after some use may be due to their hard rubber whereas Bridgestone ,Goodyear,Pirelli, Dunlops and Michelin look all the same shiny in a long duration due to their softer rubber however some goodyears still look dirty except the imported ones.......and more so the Kumhos,Hankook and some Yokohamas look real dirty after some use
I understand its the oil used in the rubber compound that lets them getoff the dirt so varies from tyre to tyre........bottomline use the polish if your tyres cannot ruboff the dirt with water if you want your car to look glamorous so to speak......
cheers
carcrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 16:22   #4
BHPian

.. but what should others do to keep them shining
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 16:30   #5
Team-BHP Support

navdeep search around the forum there are many posts on tyre polish. Rudrajis recent thread on car aesthetics also mentions it.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 17:00   #6
BHPian

@vid6639 : Thanks for guiding to Rudra's thread, the rest ( very few ) are not that good or may be I missed them

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning-car/21633-article-car-care-guide-aesthetics.html

Last edited by navdeep : 6th March 2007 at 17:01.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 18:04   #7
Team-BHP Support

Tyre polish is an essential for making the car look neat. I personally give a lot of importance to having my tyres look "jet black" and continually let the guy who washes my car know the importance of the same.

Also, whenever i am abroad, i buy atleast 4 bottles of tyre shiners usually available for about $6 ( some are with different tints-orange,pink,flame etc, that gives the tyres that sheen on the top of the treads) and each bottle lasts me atleast 3-4 months

If i am driving in the city, the look is retained for as long as 3-4 days, I usually apply it either once in a fortnight or once a month depending on my mood

I forgot the name of the brand ( i think its arambol or something), will check it out and post the name of these tyre shiners later on.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 18:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

basically adds the looks, thats all. i do it all the time and use this for the tyres of my cars. It gives it that neat look. No other uses.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 18:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I forgot the name of the brand ( i think its arambol or something), will check it out and post the name of these tyre shiners later on.
"Armour all" ... Is this the one??

Godfather
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 18:09   #10
BHPian

IMHO, Cleaning with soap form with brush during weekend wash will suffice.
chanapli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2007, 18:34   #11
BHPian

Folks, pls. read this article on The Car Maintenance Bibles

I also saw couple of other websites previously that advise against using this stuff on your tyres.

__________________________________________________ ______________
Quote:
Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

If you're proud of your car (or vain) you might have been tempted at one point or another to use a Back-to-Black type substance on them to blacken up the sidewalls of the tyres. These things are over-the-counter items that you can buy in just about any car parts store and they're designed to remove the dirt and muck from your sidewalls whilst (allegedly) conditioning the rubber and restoring that factory-fresh look to your tyres. This is all very good until you use a little too much and/or park the car in the sun. When that happens, this stuff starts to run down your tyres and into the tread. Worse, I've seen people using tyre-black on the tread on purpose. This stuff is basically teflon mixed with WD-40 and if you get it on the tyre tread, your car is going to take on the handling dynamics of a drunk ice skater. Not in a "ha ha that was funny" sort of way but in a "holy snot that's gonna hurt!" sort of way. You've been warned.
autoenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 15:37   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
"Armour all" ... Is this the one??

Godfather
Bang on! thats the one. Here is a picture of the products that I use

Not able to post the pic? Do i copy the entire URL or part of the URL from Imageshack?

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th March 2007 at 15:49. Reason: Pic not showing
Old 7th March 2007, 15:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Whats the use of having a clean and shiny car and having brown tyres. Whats the use of wearing an expensive Prada suit and unpolished shoes.
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 16:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

where does it say not to use it? it just says you shouldnt use too much and not to apply on the thread. I think thats understood. Besides if you buy a good quality one like Waxpol, armourall, turtle wax I dont see any problems.

They put it on after every service. So by buying a bottle your just putting on in betwen teh service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthusiast View Post
Folks, pls. read this article on The Car Maintenance Bibles

I also saw couple of other websites previously that advise against using this stuff on your tyres.

Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 16:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

one more try at posting the pic. here it is :-

[img=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9614/img1758ed3.th.jpg]