Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2006, 11:53   #1
Newbie
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Tyres for OHC 1.5 + some small problems

Hi all,

I just bought myself a second hand 99' OHC 1.5. I need to go in for a tyre upgrade and I was trying to figure out what tyres to put in. I have searched the forum but have found some conflicting answers.... Can you guys gelp me decide what tyre size / make etc I should go in for. What I am looking for is something within the price range of 3000 - 3200 per tyre including change of rims. There is a dealer offering me the G-III Potenzas 185/65/R14 for about 3150 / tyre including rims. Is this a good size for the OHC. Is the price right ? What I need is something that will give me lots of grip, good ride quality, tyre sounds should be minimal and the tyres should help me corner smoothly even at high speeds.... guess I want it all huh

Also, the car seems to be wobbling at low speeds and is constantly pulling to the left. Even at a speed of 40-50 kmph if it hits a small bump I can hear some small squeaks from the tyres and the rear left end seems to slide out a little. Whether it actually slides or this is exessive body roll compounded by the tyres having gotten bloated at places I am not too sure but it certainly feels like the rear left slides out a little bit at bumps.... could this be anything else other than the tyres ? I dont know if this is related but when I bought the car , the exhaust was broken at two places and the rear drum with some piece of pipe attached to it broke and fell off while driving yesterday. I now have the tail pipe with one drum hanging there but nothing connecting it to the exhaust port..... I plan to get a new exhaust installed tomorrow but could this have anything to do with the car skidding around....? Stupid question I know but I figured if you go to the doctor, better tell him everything huh ?

Thanks TBHP !!
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 14:11   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

185/60 R14 or 195/60 R14 would the ideal size for the OHC

I think you've got suspension problems. Wheel blancing and allignment need to be checked. Get a complete check done at a Honda service station.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2006, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Hi all,

I just bought myself a second hand 99' OHC 1.5. I need to go in for a tyre upgrade and I was trying to figure out what tyres to put in. I have searched the forum but have found some conflicting answers.... Can you guys gelp me decide what tyre size / make etc I should go in for. What I am looking for is something within the price range of 3000 - 3200 per tyre including change of rims. There is a dealer offering me the G-III Potenzas 185/65/R14 for about 3150 / tyre including rims. Is this a good size for the OHC. Is the price right ? What I need is something that will give me lots of grip, good ride quality, tyre sounds should be minimal and the tyres should help me corner smoothly even at high speeds.... guess I want it all huh
Andre - The price seems OK but what rims is he offering you for that amount of money?? He can't be offering you Alloys & new Tyres for that price. The size is pretty good & I am currently running the same on my OHC VTEC with Michelin Energy XM1's, this is another tyre you could look at. It's pretty silent, comfortable & has nice grip. Other sizes you could try are 185/60 R14 or 195/60 R14.

Also you have to choose what you love more Comfort or Grip? And then decide the tyre accordingly. Potenza GIII's would be much more sportier where as the Michelin's are more comfort biased. Other options for you could be Yokohama ES 100's or Dunlop FM901's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Also, the car seems to be wobbling at low speeds and is constantly pulling to the left. Even at a speed of 40-50 kmph if it hits a small bump I can hear some small squeaks from the tyres and the rear left end seems to slide out a little. Whether it actually slides or this is exessive body roll compounded by the tyres having gotten bloated at places I am not too sure but it certainly feels like the rear left slides out a little bit at bumps.... could this be anything else other than the tyres ? I dont know if this is related but when I bought the car , the exhaust was broken at two places and the rear drum with some piece of pipe attached to it broke and fell off while driving yesterday. I now have the tail pipe with one drum hanging there but nothing connecting it to the exhaust port..... I plan to get a new exhaust installed tomorrow but could this have anything to do with the car skidding around....? Stupid question I know but I figured if you go to the doctor, better tell him everything huh ?

Thanks TBHP !!
Andre the wobbling could be a result of the bloated sidewalls you mentioned. If there are sidewall bulge(s) then the steering would wobble and this also means you need tyre replacement. As for the exhaust I think since it's a 7 yr old car now the silencer pipe would have rusted away by now anyways. So I don't think the damage to that is due to your suspected sliding.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 01:26   #4
Newbie
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Pricing ?

Guys.

Thanks for the info provided. Shantanu I plan to get the suspension checked, the tyres replaced s well as the alignment checked once I have replaced the tyres over the weekend. Iraghava, this is plain jane rims he is offering. No alloys...... when you say that the G-III's are more sportier are you refering to the grip or purely looks ? If it is the grip then I would rather go for the G-III's. I figure if I have to compromise a bit I will do it on the comfort rather than the grip...... besides based on what I hear at this forum the potenzas wont be that bad at ride quality and comfort but the difference will be marginal. Feel free to correct me if you disagree.

I'll narrow down on the 185/60/14 then ? Do you guys think the price is right?

Thanks again for all the help guys !

- Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 01:32   #5
Newbie
 
Andre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Also guys, although I'm sure you figured this but my OHC is a 1.5exi and not a v-tec... should that make a difference to the tyre size ?
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2006, 02:13   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

Quote:
I'll narrow down on the 185/60/14 then ? Do you guys think the price is right?
In Blore 195/60 R14 GIIIs cost around 3.6 K. So 3.15K for 185/60 R14 seems ok. In anycase, check with other tyre dealers. You might get a better deal on them.

Quote:
when you say that the G-III's are more sportier are you refering to the grip or purely looks ?
I feel both are equally good when it comes to dry grip. But, the GIIIs are magical when the going gets wet. I once had to do a quick 170-50kmph deceleration in the wet and the tyres were very impressive.

But, be careful when you brake on wet concrete. Tyres are known to lose traction faster on such surfaces (although i haven't experienced it).

Quote:
besides based on what I hear at this forum the potenzas wont be that bad at ride quality and comfort but the difference will be marginal.
GIII is a performance tyre so don't expect it to be very comfortable. But, it's not bad either. I'd give it 7/10 for ride quality and tyre noise. For grip though, it has to be 10/10 (in it's class of tyres).

Quote:
Also guys, although I'm sure you figured this but my OHC is a 1.5exi and not a v-tec... should that make a difference to the tyre size ?
It won't make a diff bcoz apart from the engine, everything else remains the same.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 26th July 2006 at 02:20.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2006, 12:14   #7
BHPian
 
four_tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 211
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Did u enquire about Pirelli .. its cheaper also and balanced for performance and durability
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 04:24   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire
Did u enquire about Pirelli .. its cheaper also and balanced for performance and durability
Pirelli's are hard to find here in India and are also only available in limited range. Had tried them on an Astra & they were pretty good though. Also they might be expensive then the other options too.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 08:50   #9
BHPian
 
four_tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 211
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

I got info from my bike mechanic.. who once was a rally champion (cars) that going for 205 Pirelli for my OHC VTEC and each will cost 2500 approximately. He also has give the address of the guy who sells those brand .. which is near to lalbagh.

Ihavent physically checked though
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virus problems/spyware problems! post here! SirAlec Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 16th July 2014 00:05
Help needed in attending the problems in my 2001 OHC vtec msk_kapoor Technical Stuff 7 8th December 2009 10:34
Mahindra Scorpio CRDE 2007 - Problems 'n' Problems chandrda Technical Stuff 3 13th November 2009 09:59
Small question about OHC VTEC's ECU. pranavt Technical Stuff 2 29th June 2009 20:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks