Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 6th September 2014, 12:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Bad experience: Tyre Care Center, JP Nagar (Bangalore)

Went to Tyre Care Centre in JP Nagar today for balancing my tyres, and what happened was a damage to my sills.

They don't have proper lift equipment to raise the car while removing the tyres for balancing. They used a trolley jack and placed it under the sill next to the front left wheel.

The jack was raised very high so that both wheels on the left side of the car were raised off the ground - this makes it easier for them to remove both tyres at one go .

Now the trolley jacks don't have a slit , they have a circular piece of metal(see example pic below) which was placed below the sill and the car raised. The result was a bend in my sills, as you can see from the pics below.

A car jack that has a slit can be safely used under the sill, but not a trolley jack - unless there's some rubber material placed on top of it.

When I pointed out the damage to the shop owner, he said it was minor"" damage that cannot be repaired. And I had to pay Rs 500/- for the balancing as well. The only offer he made was free alignment worth 300/-, that I refused to take.

If you love your car, avoid places like Tyre Care that don't have proper lift equipment, and have untrained personnel. The unfortunate fact is that many tyre shops don't have trained folks and proper equipment, they do a shoddy job. In the event of a damage , the stores take zero responsibility, and
car owners like me have to bear the brunt in the absence of any consumer protection in this country.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad experience: Tyre Care Center, JP Nagar (Bangalore)-img_0832.jpg  

Bad experience: Tyre Care Center, JP Nagar (Bangalore)-img_0827.jpg  

Bad experience: Tyre Care Center, JP Nagar (Bangalore)-img_0826.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by sdp1975 : 6th September 2014 at 12:44.
sdp1975 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2014, 14:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tyre Care Centre , JP Nagar , opposite to Brigade Palmsprings.( A Unit of Iyengar

Moved this here, since the Directory section is for recommended outlets only.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 21:41   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Bad experience: Tyre Care Center, JP Nagar (Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Went to Tyre Care Centre in JP Nagar today for balancing my tyres, and what happened was a damage to my sills.
Is this a branch of Sai Iyengar's?

If so, you should contact Nithin at 99453-78168. I believe his family owns the business and he seemed like a reasonable guy the one time I interacted with him.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Is this a branch of Sai Iyengar's?

If so, you should contact Nithin at 99453-78168. I believe his family owns the business and he seemed like a reasonable guy the one time I interacted with him.
Yes , it's a unit of Sai Iyengar's located opposite to Brigade Palmsprings. Thanks for the contact information, I should probably let Nithin know of the bad experience I've had, although I certainly don't want to visit this place again.

There's a dent of around 2mm at two places on the left sill. The jack was positioned correctly on the right sill, but then another mechanic - apparently new and untrained - placed it incorrectly on the left sill causing the dent. Be very , very careful whenever your car is jacked up - make sure the jack is placed at the right position, read your car manual to find the right places.

When I took my car to Madhus - supposedly the best place in Bangalore - the last time for balancing, they left scratches and abrasions on all four of my alloys - see pic on http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ml#post3359527 (Wheel Alignment/Balancing : Madhus Enterprises (Langford rd, Bangalore))

You can understand that I'm becoming increasingly worried of taking my cars to alignment and balancing centres. I've decided to take my Punto to the FIAT ASC the next time for WA and WB.

Also , does it make any financial sense to get balancing/alignment every 5K km, or is it overhyped with only a feel good factor to it ? With a cost of 800/- for WA and WB, and assuming a tyre life of 50K km, the total amount spent will be 8K in 10 visits. Now that's the cost of 2 tyres for a medium sized car !

I'm quite sure that you''ll spend more money than saving in doing periodic WA and WB . If you see a specific problem then a visit makes sense, not otherwise - certainly not for mid size cars , probably yes for large cars like the XUV where the tyres cost around 13K apiece.

Once after I got my tyres balanced at Madhus, there was a rumbling noise from the RR wheel and I took it back after 3 days or so. They balanced the RR wheel again and added around 30gm weight. I don't understand how the balancing can go off mark by 30gm in only 3 days. Even after I go after 5K km, they usually add around 30-60gm weight, and this specific incident left me wondering on the need for balancing every 5K km.

Rotation still makes sense with the uneven tyre wear between the front and rear wheels from what I've seen, and this is something I can do myself using the jack and the spare wheel. But I'm becoming increasing concerned to take my car to any of these tyre care centres with the experiences I've had.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th September 2014 at 14:59.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 19:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

I got in touch with Nithin. He told me that the shop at JP Nagar is *not* part of Sai Iyengar's. They're called SV Iyengar and sons a.k.a Tyre Care Centre, that's a completely different organization from his business.

Sai Iyengar's has only 3 branches in Lalbagh, Indiranagar and Bannerghatta Road.

The bill ( see attached pic ) , and the logo on the shop I visited states that they're a unit of Iyengar's , that caused some confusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Bad experience: Tyre Care Center, JP Nagar (Bangalore)-img_0834.jpg  

Last edited by sdp1975 : 14th September 2014 at 19:57.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 22:29   #6
D4D
BHPian

Well, a sad incident. I used this shop once to repair a puncture and these guys didn't give any reason for complaint.
I would advice you to try Road Runnerz near Brigade millennium. I got my tires changed from them recently, and their service is good.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even few guys with good equipment are not worth visiting, like the one in HSR layout he is Michelin dealer, waste of time and money, till date the place i trusted and relay on is Madhus near double road, it's over 15 KM from my home but, I don't want to compromise hence I don't mind driving all the way to them.
Ajaybiz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 12:25   #8
BHPian

Today I went to the Tyre Care Centre, JP Nagar, Bangalore.
I got 2 tyres for my Santro for Rs 6,200 (Rs 3100 each).
Once the tyres were fit, the person asked me if I wanted wheel-balancing for the new tyres and it would cost extra. I told him that usually wheel balancing is done for new tyres without any extra cost. But he was insisting on the extra charge. I went ahead with it.

Later, when I went to the cashier to pay with my debit card, the person said he will charge me 2.5% extra for debit card usage. I told him they can't charge customers for the card usage. He connected me to one Mr Sridhar who he said owned the main-shop of Tyre Care Centre and he said he is charging 2.5% because he is being charged by the POS provider. I had to pay this illegal fees to them.

I argued with him that this is illegal. This especially defeats the push towards cashless economy.

Overall, a terrible experience and I, for sure, am not visiting this place again!
narenteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
I told him that usually wheel balancing is done for new tyres without any extra cost. But he was insisting on the extra charge.
Charging for balancing weights is perfectly normal, nothing wrong in this practice from shopkeeper/owner.

Quote:
He connected me to one Mr Sridhar who he said owned the main-shop of Tyre Care Centre and he said he is charging 2.5% because he is being charged by the POS provider. I had to pay this illegal fees to them.
Shop owner isn't wrong in charging these fees. He is being charged by provider & it's getting passed on to consumer/customer. Unless number of cashless transactions increase at any retail outlet, owner would be compelled to pass on any additional charges to consumer. Nothing illegal in this, it's more of protecting their profit levels (which are already low in some cases).
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 14:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Shop owner isn't wrong in charging these fees. He is being charged by provider & it's getting passed on to consumer/customer. Unless number of cashless transactions increase at any retail outlet, owner would be compelled to pass on any additional charges to consumer. Nothing illegal in this, it's more of protecting their profit levels (which are already low in some cases).
I completely disagree with this view. While it may not be "Illegal" (I don't know if it is), the usual agreement between the bank and the seller includes a clause to not charge any extra amount to the buyer.

If the seller does not want to bear the bank charges as a cost of doing business, then they should not accept card payments at all - it will only reduce their number of sales since a lot of customers will avoid a store that does not accept cards which is probably worse than selling with a low margin.

Also if the seller wants to charge bank charges, let them include that it their bill so that it is a legal transaction. And put up visible boards in their store stating that they will charge extra so that customers can see that before proceeding with their purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narenteam View Post
Later, when I went to the cashier to pay with my debit card, the person said he will charge me 2.5% extra for debit card usage. I told him they can't charge customers for the card usage. He connected me to one Mr Sridhar who he said owned the main-shop of Tyre Care Centre and he said he is charging 2.5% because he is being charged by the POS provider. I had to pay this illegal fees to them.
Did they have a board anywhere that said they will charge extra for card payments? You can call your bank once the CC statement comes and file a claim for the difference and point out the issue to them, the bank will usually look into it.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 15:26   #11
BHPian

Sorry to go off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Charging for balancing weights is perfectly normal, nothing wrong in this practice from shopkeeper/owner.

The shop keeper is wrong to charge the fees to the customer. This is to be borne by the shop keeper.

Please check out this link. RBI has issued notification on the same in 2013. Passing on this charge - The Merchant Discount Rate to the customer is illegal.

http://m.thehindubusinessline.com/mo...cle7421979.ece

RBI circular
The Reserve Bank of India had in September 2013, issued a circular to the chiefs of all scheduled commercial banks (excluding Regional Rural Banks) and local area banks, in which it had categorically stated that “such fee is not justifiable and not permissible as per the bilateral agreement between the acquiring bank and the merchants”.

The regulator had advised banks to desist from such practice after taking note of instances of merchant establishments levying a fee for purchase of goods and services through debit card.

Almost two years have gone by, but the practice has not stopped. Taking objection to the levy, R Raju Srinivasan, a retired army officer, said, “I am shocked to note that merchant establishments are quite unaware of the RBI’s circular. So, I now carry a copy of the circular as the billing clerk in most establishments is either not informed or feigns ignorance when collecting the extra fee.”

Srinivasan, in fact, took up this issue with the Consumer Education and Protection Department of the RBI. The department in turn forwarded the complaint to his banker, ICICI Bank. Responding to Srinivasan’s complaint, the bank said it does not charge 2 per cent on debit card transactions. “You might have been asked to bear the ‘Merchant Discount Rate’ by the merchant, which is a fee the merchant pays to the acquiring bank (for providing the terminal – Point of Sale – to the merchant).

This is a fee the merchant has to bear and not the customer,” the bank clarified, adding, “We have taken up the matter with the said merchant and they have assured that they will not collect extra charges for debit card transactions.”

While a few like Srinivasan voice their objection, other users seem to be ignorant of this levy and banks intervene only when the issue is raised.

The shopkeepers advantage -
No risk of fake currency.
No cash counting charges at bank when the remittance exceeds a bundle of notes.
No risk of maintaining cash at the shop over long holidays and weekends when the bank is closed.
No risk of cash theft from untrustworthy employees.
Funds are credited to the account directly.

Last edited by Ramon : 9th December 2016 at 15:41.
Ramon is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 23:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
The shop keeper is wrong to charge the fees to the customer. This is to be borne by the shop keeper.
Thanks for sharing details, wasn't aware of RBI circular. I will check with my CC provider for a recent charge at a tyre dealer.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote