Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 14th January 2015, 16:23   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Bent Rim after hitting a pothole - What effect will it have on the tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Isn't it better to replace the rim as such rather than repairing it?

AFAIK, it is not advised to use a rim that got bent after a hit.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes even I thought so. Since the rim does not cost big, I thought of replacing it with a new one. But the A.S.S Adviser very strongly suggested that nothing will happen and in fact nothing had happened and the rim was running fine for over 20k kms till i sold the car.

I was wondering what will happen if it was an alloy wheel. I really don't know how it reacts when it hits a pothole.
rki2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 16:30   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I was wondering what will happen if it was an alloy wheel. I really don't know how it reacts when it hits a pothole.
Depends on the speed during impact, how large was the pothole and what was the air pressure maintained all influence the worthiness of the tyre or rim or alloy.

Generally if the impact is high the alloy cracks rending it useless.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 17:06   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Bent Rim after hitting a pothole - What effect will it have on the tyre?

My vista QJD R14 rim was bent and was soo bad that I had to completely replace it. Bought a new one for INR 900 from GP road, Chennai.

My Advice : any bend on the edge can e managed by hammering back otherwise better to replace.
Attached Images

Last edited by faridsahmed : 14th January 2015 at 17:07. Reason: Image added
faridsahmed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote