Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 16th September 2017, 20:09   #16
BHPian

Default Re: MRF ZLX Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
..but in 95% of cases, the MRF will suit your requirement.
Thanks Nikhil for the reply! I will go with the ZLX now. An advice from the tire veteran like you should suffice.

I have another query. It is regarding the up sizing from 145 to 155. The thing is my WagonR does not have a power steering and since I'm going with 10 mm fatter rubber on both sides, which of the two rubber, Yoko or MRF, will result in a minimal increase of steering effort?

I can understand that there will be some additional effort due to up sizing, especially at slower speeds but I'm trying to understand that can this be minimized taking into account the different rubber characteristics of the two brands?

Hope I have been able to frame my query in a clear way.
Looking forward to your reply and then I will most probably get the tire swap done by tomorrow.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 16th September 2017 at 20:19.
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 01:29   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Shouldnt make much of a difference. I doubt we will actually be able to feel the difference and even if we are, it shouldnt be a deciding factor.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 18:18   #18
BHPian

Finally got the tire change done on Sunday. Went with MRF ZLX 155/65/R13.

Though it's too early to comment on new tires but I feel the bumps and potholes are taken well by new tires and overall ride has become plush.
Do note that I'm coming from five year old JKs so anything after that will feel good.

My doubts about steering heaviness were all in vein as there is no apparent 'heaviness' which I was concerned about using broader 155mm tires on a car without Power Steering as compared to the earlier 145mm.

Paid 10,300 including 4 air valves and some nut for camber adjustment.
Wheel Balancing/Alignment were done free of cost.
Attached Thumbnails
MRF ZLX Tyres-img_20170917_122847.jpg  

Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 21:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Shouldnt make much of a difference. I doubt we will actually be able to feel the difference and even if we are, it shouldnt be a deciding factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Finally got the tire change done on Sunday. Went with MRF ZLX 155/65/R13.
Tempted by the reviews here but still confused with going for MRF again.

Are the ZLX tyres significantly better than the MRF ZVTV ? I have horrible experiences with the ZVTV.

My Figo was bought pre-owned at 48000 KM with 4 new MRF ZVTV. Was handed a bill as well by the previous owner and the tyres were only 4 months old. The problems began a year after the purchase.

Now at 72000 KM, all 4 tyres are gone and a tyre dealer who does balancing and alignment attributed it to manufacturing defects. All four tyres have good tread depth and can last 20000 KM more only if tread depth is considered.

Tyre 1 : Developed one side wear to an extent that the inner portion almost is oval shaped.

Tyre 2 : Ok condition but developed a cut on the sidewall. Only this can be my fault.

Tyre 3 and 4 : The centre 2/3 is bulged ( rather slightly projected ) over and above the outer 1/3 edges on both sides to an extent that there is significant wobbling if these wheels are put on the front.

Had no other option to put them at the front because the MRF T&S guy at Trivandrum warned me of tyre burst if the inner side worn tire is put on the front. Did a phenomenal job of properly balancing the tires projected in the middle which my regular tire shop refused to balance.

My car is only used on long trips. 90% highway , only 10% city. I had been planning to change the tyres for over 2 years but managed using jugaad and rotating the tires. The long trips being intermittent also plays a role because after a trip , we feel the next trip will be after 6 months , so we may change it later.

On one hand , I like the toughness of these tyres. They have never had any puncture despite driving in no road conditions in the hills during vacations. On the other, I can't tolerate these defects.

ZLX -3750
Yokohama Earth 1- 4200
Michelin XM 2 - 4700
Bridgestone - Don't like them, too expensive , nothing special for the premium
Apollo / Ceat - Will consider if priced on par with MRF. Ceat especially seems good.
JK - Hell no.

Suggest me the best considering my usage pattern. Thanks in advance .

Last edited by Ragavsr : 8th October 2017 at 21:24.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:02   #20
BHPian

I replaced the stock Bridgestone S322 with MRF ZLX. The car is driven 95% of the time inside the city and my daily commute route has Metro rail construction, several flyover constructions, cable laying works, road extension works and metro water pipeline works and so I encounter broken roads, no roads, construction debris and route diversions into narrow streets. So my tyre requirements were clear with just two needs: comfortable ride over bad roads and to avoid punctures.

I visited one of the biggest tyre shop in Chennai, BM LAL Bros, to check my options in 155/65R13. The seller rated Continental CC5 and Michelin XM2 above Yokohama Earth-1 in terms of road noise, cornering grip and in wet roads. I explained my requirements and he insisted that I should consider either CC5 or ZLX. According to him the MRF ZLX has good sidewall strength and noise control and more durable for Indian road conditions but grip is a step down. We have the Goodyear Duraplus in our Ertiga and they are durable but way too noisy.

Some of the options available for 155/65R13:
  • MRF ZLX Rs2600
  • Falken Sincera 835 Rs3000
  • Goodyear Duraplus Rs3000
  • Yokohama Earth-1 Rs3200
  • Continental CC5 Rs3250
  • Bridgestone B290 Rs3250
  • Michelin XM2 Rs3550

I took a day to decide between CC5 and ZLX and checked with few other retailers for best price and tyre’s manufacturing date and also going through TeamBhp reviews on CC5 and ZLX. Finally went ahead with the MRF and after driving 3000kms with the new tyres I am impressed with the ZLX. Firstly, compared to the Bridgestone S322 the ZLX is quieter, the reduction of road noise inside the cabin is evident and secondly, the ride is now much better on broken roads. In the Bridgestones I could easily feel the road surface and small stones on the steering wheel and seat but with the ZLX though it feels cushioned, the ride feels soft. I think the ZLX truly stands to its tag line ‘Comfort made more comfortable’.

Multiple lateral grooves design to aide comfort and reduce tyre noise.
MRF ZLX Tyres-img_20170923_154130200.jpg

MRF ZLX Tyres-img_20171008_141411084.jpg
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

I am happy with these tyres after using them for 10K kms on Zen. Very silent. Nice grip in dry and wet. I would say these are a great set of tyres and are pretty underrated. Definitely better than the mainstream Bridgestone,Goodyear and the likes
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2017, 18:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
I replaced the stock Bridgestone S322 with MRF ZLX. .
I think the ZLX truly stands to its tag line ‘Comfort made more
Great to hear you chose the ZLX. The ones on my old K10 have done 20k KM in just over one year as on today, and ride quality is still soft and smooth. Second rotation, alignment and balancing done today.

I can vouch for the cushioning on bad roads. I also need to traverse horrible stretches like the treacherous Velachery roads and patches of Inner Ring Road everyday. The ZLX performs very well on such surfaces. I have driven over broken roads en route to Madikeri and Talakaveri recently, various ghat roads and silky smooth NH. The experience has been very satisfactory. Plenty of tread depth left and tyres still look new.

These are very good tyres.

Peace.

Regards,
Abhishek
satanic_dude is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2017, 18:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanic_dude View Post
These are very good tyres.
Hi Abhishek, Thanks for the assurance and I completely agree with your points. I have done close to 7000kms in the ZLX so far and compared to my previous Bridgestone S322's, the reduced tyre noise and cushioned ride is clearly evident in the ZLX.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 15:17   #24
BHPian

After following this thread for more than two years, I am glad to be posting here with my own experience.

My previous tyres were MRF ZVTS 145/70 R13. In eight years of running, they never ever left me stranded anywhere. No punctures whatsoever, except for a slow air leak due to a struck nail, which I had noticed during a routine check. I had used them for 50,487 km and were good for another 15,000 km - treadwise. But the rubber had started turning hard because of which I used to get a lot of tyre noise.

Although I had wanted to get rid of them three years back, the odo being at just 35,000 km and my running being mostly in the city on reasonably good roads plus the assurances of both the chief mechanic at MASS and the tyre dealer, had made me procrastinate.

Once I crossed 50,000 km, I got the car's hardware (Zen Estilo Lxi) thoroughly checked for any major defects and on last Saturday I had the front and rear shock absorbers replaced pro actively. Today, at the local MRF Tyres and Services dealer, I got four ZLX 155/70 R13 (deliberately chose the wrong size for a bit of extra ground clearance, the correct upgrade being 155/65 R13) tyres for ₹10,600/- including balancing, alignment, valves and nitrogen filling.

The ride home was marked by an eerie silence. Absolutely no tyre noise at all. The car feels planted and the ride plush. But since I have also changed the shocks, can't really ascribe the comfortable ride completely to the new tyres as yet. Hope the new shoes will serve me well.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 11:01   #25
BHPian

Can anyone provide a comparison between these tyres and the Earth-1s? I need to change the 5 year old XM2s on my A-Star. After a lot of research and deliberation I had finalized on the Yokohama Earth-1s in stock size (155/80 R13), which are available for Rs. 3,400/-.

The vehicle is primarily used for city driving (in Bangalore) and ride comfort is a priority. The vehicle's mileage is very low (around 1,500km each year). I wanted something a bit more sturdy than the XM2s since the car is sitting a lot in the garage. The ZLXs in 155/80 R13 are available for Rs. 2,800/-. Would it make sense to go for these if the car is primarily city driven.

Last edited by avi550m : 14th February 2018 at 11:03. Reason: Spelling errors
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 19:51   #26
BHPian

Finally Upgraded my Stock Goodyears of 45,000 run, 7yrs old to MRF ZLX for my Swift. Went for the OEM size 165/80 R14. Costed 2700/- each plus 500/- for WA/WB. It has been close to 800kms now on these new set of shoes for my car and i must i'm mighty impressed. These are surely designed for comfort with reduced tire noise and grip levels have improved too. A good product from MRF. XM2's and YOKOS might offer better performance but at a higher premium of 1000/- or thereabouts more.
CornerCarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2018, 23:53   #27

Hi Everyone,

I got my old fiesta fitted with new MRF ZLX tyres with stock size 175/65 R14 and I have two queries about them. Firstly, is there any specification about which side of the tyre should be outside? As far as I know these are symmetric so this should not be a problem but I still wanted to confirm. There is no "outside" or "inside" label on the tyre itself unlike asymmetric tyres so I am assuming it is safe to install them with any side outwards. The installaion guy told me that for symmetric tyres usually the date label and red and yellow mark appers on the side which should be kept outside. In MRF zlx the date and red yellow marks are on opposite sides so he installed them with the side having red/yellow marks facing outwards. Manufacturing date appears on the inward face. I noticed that there is a slight red band on the entire tred which is off center. This band appers off center towards the side facing outwards on my tyres. I hope this installation is correct.

Secondly, I have a query regarding the date on the tyres. I had a lot of difficulty in finding these tyres at a reasonable price. Most MRF outlets were asking for 4200/- per tyre which I think is inflated. Fortunately I got them for the old price approx 3700/- per tyre. I checked the date on the tyres and it said 3817. These tyres were manufactured in september 2017. I did some google searches and decided to take a dip. Now I really want to know, is it ok to buy tyres manufactured 6-7 months back? What I do know is that the tyres were stored in a basement away from sun.
vikrant1982 is offline   Reply With Quote