Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 22:33   #151
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,593
Thanked: 4,509 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I was fiddling about today at the Tyre Balancing and wheel alignment place.

Came away quite impressed with the MRF Wanderer AT's and the Yoko Geolandar AT's. MRF Wanderers cost Rs 6750 per tyre and Yokos are at 8000 per tyre. The Bridgestone Dueler HT's that I saw cost 7000 per tyre.

For the kind of use that it appears you may be putting your vehicle to, I would suggest MRF if you are looking for a slightly harder compound which will pretty much guarantee you a longer life of the tyre.

Else, I ve also always had a soft spot for those Goodyear Wrangler AT's and BF Goodrich AT's as well - but in the course of my enquiries here in Bangalore both these brands are quite hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 4wd Scorpio (2004/ Turbo 2.6) which needs tire replacement. My vehicle has Alloys and 255/70/15 Michelin LTX.
Retaining the 255/70/15 size, please advise amongst the following:
1. Michelin LTX
2. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
3. Bridgestone Dueler A/T
Apart from the highway use, I will also be taking the vehicle off-road (I officiate in Desert Storm rally, and participate in OTRs too). Considering my usage, please advise the best suited option.
Cheers!
ashish
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 23:46   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,337
Thanked: 771 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashish B View Post
Hi guys,
I have recently purchased a 4wd Scorpio (2004/ Turbo 2.6) which needs tire replacement. My vehicle has Alloys and 255/70/15 Michelin LTX.
Retaining the 255/70/15 size, please advise amongst the following:
1. Michelin LTX
2. Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
3. Bridgestone Dueler A/T
Apart from the highway use, I will also be taking the vehicle off-road (I officiate in Desert Storm rally, and participate in OTRs too). Considering my usage, please advise the best suited option.
Cheers!
ashish

Ashish the up-sizes for the scorp in 15 incher's

245/70-15
255/65-15
225/70-15
235/70-15 and considering the fact that you are running 255/70-R15 am sure you have some amount of speedo error.

Read up this thread from post 271 onwards, has quite a bit of information on tires. I wonder why you haven't considered the BFG's and Yoko's? Some of our OTR guys here swear by the off road performance of the Yoko AT's. My Scorp has been running on the Yoko AT's for the last 20k or so kms and my review is available here.

Also please stay away from option 3, one of the worst when it comes to road noise.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 22:04   #153
BHPian
 
forbhaskarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 205
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Friends,
My 2005 non-CRDe Scorpio has done 120K kms & has been running on Michelin (235/75/R15) since last 70K kms. Now the side walls/shoulders of two out of the four tyres have been repeatedly getting punctured, pretty frequently. So I have decided to replace them. But I also want to replace my Scorp with a new SUV either later next year or in 2013. My average run per month is around 2K-2.5K, I do not want to spend a lot of money on replacing the tyres.

Please suggest which set of tyres do I go for considering the scenario above. Kumho, Apollo, Continental are between 4.5K-5.2K. All others are between 5.5K - 7.5K.

I need to change them sometime next week, so please pour in your valuable suggestions, quickly.
forbhaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 09:38   #154
BHPian
 
forbhaskarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 205
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Friends,
My 2005 non-CRDe Scorpio has done 120K kms & has been running on Michelin (235/75/R15) since last 70K kms. Now the side walls/shoulders of two out of the four tyres have been repeatedly getting punctured, pretty frequently. So I have decided to replace them. But I also want to replace my Scorp with a new SUV either later next year or in 2013. My average run per month is around 2K-2.5K, I do not want to spend a lot of money on replacing the tyres.

Please suggest which set of tyres do I go for considering the scenario above. Kumho, Apollo, Continental are between 4.5K-5.2K. All others are between 5.5K - 7.5K.

I need to change them sometime next week, so please pour in your valuable suggestions, quickly.
Gurus, friends,
please provide your suggestions. I am looking to change the tyres today.
forbhaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 10:13   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,078 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbhaskarm View Post
Gurus, friends,
please provide your suggestions. I am looking to change the tyres today.
If you're planning to replace the Scorp in 2 years, get Apollos or MRF Wanderers. They're not very expensive. Plus they're hard rubber, so won't cause you pains with punctures and wear out slowly (when the time of sale comes, they'll still look newish )
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 11:59   #156
BHPian
 
forbhaskarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 205
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
If you're planning to replace the Scorp in 2 years, get Apollos or MRF Wanderers. They're not very expensive. Plus they're hard rubber, so won't cause you pains with punctures and wear out slowly (when the time of sale comes, they'll still look newish )
Thanks for the advice mate! Wanderers are a tad costly at 6500 odd per piece. What about Kumho, am getting them at 4500 per tyre.
forbhaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 13:00   #157
BHPian
 
karizma9292's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 201 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

HEy guys , Will be picking up a Scorpio LX 4X4 in a few days , it comes with 235/70/16 Apollo Hawkz A/T . Thinking of changing them, vehicle will be driven 70% on roads & 30% off it . I somehow don like the tread pattern of the Hawkz A/T . I like the Hawkz R/T pattern , is it a bold choice to change from A/T to R/T .

Which other tyre choices do i have A/T or R/T ?
karizma9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 08:51   #158
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 645
Thanked: 209 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
HEy guys , Will be picking up a Scorpio LX 4X4 in a few days , it comes with 235/70/16 Apollo Hawkz A/T . Thinking of changing them, vehicle will be driven 70% on roads & 30% off it . I somehow don like the tread pattern of the Hawkz A/T . I like the Hawkz R/T pattern , is it a bold choice to change from A/T to R/T .

Which other tyre choices do i have A/T or R/T ?

Lx 4x4 are you sure ?

I would suggest you to stick to A/T, since your usage is more on-road. If you dont like the pattern, then exchange them for the newer set of tires, you might end paying about 1k-1.5k per tyre.

Last edited by 2500cc : 7th November 2011 at 09:16.
2500cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 09:13   #159
BHPian
 
PRADEEP KUMAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 372
Thanked: 25 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
HEy guys , Will be picking up a Scorpio LX 4X4 in a few days , it comes with 235/70/16 Apollo Hawkz A/T . Thinking of changing them, vehicle will be driven 70% on roads & 30% off it . I somehow don like the tread pattern of the Hawkz A/T . I like the Hawkz R/T pattern , is it a bold choice to change from A/T to R/T .

Which other tyre choices do i have A/T or R/T ?

I hv changed mine to Apollo hawkz for 100% highway/city usage.They are very good in my view.

cheers!
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 07:28   #160
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,593
Thanked: 4,509 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

hi

is this a brand new LX 4x4?
Sorry if you've already explained but I didnt see.
If you can, ask the guy to give you the Bridgestone HT Duelers as OEM. Mine have lasted about 47500kms and still going very strong with all sorts of usage patterns - highways, potholed city roads, jungle trails and estate roads and all that stuff.
If your vehicle is going to be driven 70% on road and 30% off it, then I would always suggest either HT or max AT. You can also try Wanderers, they are pretty good too and being of a harder compound they will last for ages.


Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
HEy guys , Will be picking up a Scorpio LX 4X4 in a few days , it comes with 235/70/16 Apollo Hawkz A/T . Thinking of changing them, vehicle will be driven 70% on roads & 30% off it . I somehow don like the tread pattern of the Hawkz A/T . I like the Hawkz R/T pattern , is it a bold choice to change from A/T to R/T .

Which other tyre choices do i have A/T or R/T ?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 09:21   #161
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,731
Thanked: 1,940 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I second Shankars view. My Bridgestone Duellers are running about 46K kilometers and have atleast 15K life left in them. I have used it in many off-road situations including the famed Palar river bed in chennai. They do fine for moderate off-road situations.

Although it is an HT Tyre, the tread blocks are quite large and act like an AT tyre.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:52   #162
BHPian
 
lingadalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi,

Need new shoes for my scorpio. I have done 76K on my JK Elanzo stock tyres. The last 5K was a bit of stretch on these tyres. Now I am looking for new tyres. I am exploring bridgestone & yokohama. From the reviews, it appears that yokohama have week side profile and are more prone to burts if the vehicle runs on rugged and pot holes [read NH13 between chitradurga and hospet]. So should i opt for bridgestone. My highway/city usage is around 70/30. And when I am on highways, most often the roads are not in good condition. I want the new tyres to last for 1L this time. Is there any other tyres I could explore apart from bridgestone.

Please note that I need to change the tyres by tomorrow. So early responses would do good for me.

Also Where can I expect to get Bridgestone D694 AT tyres in bangalore. I had called tyre professionals, Reliance Auto Zone and Cherry. I didn't get them.

thanks,
Prakash
lingadalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 11:31   #163
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,564
Thanked: 2,496 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

D694 is not available currently. I think the best thing would be to get Yoko Geolandars. They are not that soft. And the very high profile of an SUV tyre would mean very small chance of damaging a tyre. For the slightly softer sidewall, you get much better ride quality, better handling and braking. Seeing that you drive 70% of the time on the highway, it's even more worth it for you to go for a Yoko. I would recommend a Michelin LTX but it isnt available as of now.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 12:31   #164
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,827
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

@Nikhil, how's Maxxis in 215/75 R15 ? Bolero top end is coming with Maxxis as OE.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 12:54   #165
BHPian
 
lingadalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
D694 is not available currently. I think the best thing would be to get Yoko Geolandars. They are not that soft. And the very high profile of an SUV tyre would mean very small chance of damaging a tyre. For the slightly softer sidewall, you get much better ride quality, better handling and braking. Seeing that you drive 70% of the time on the highway, it's even more worth it for you to go for a Yoko. I would recommend a Michelin LTX but it isnt available as of now.
Hi Nikhil,
I drive more frequently on NH13 and country roads which are not too smooth and have many humps and pot holes. Inside the city office to home is hardly 4 kms which is again full of humps. I had made up my mind for bridgestone, but am willing to change to yokohama if you still advice me for Yokohama GeoLander. Which shop is better for Yokohama in bangalore.

thanks,
Prakash

PS: I have to change the tyres today itself. So please advice. :-)
lingadalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread Joy73US Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 141 28th November 2016 16:18
Toyota Etios & Liva : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread nkrishnap Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 54 27th November 2016 21:38
Hyundai Grand i10 & Xcent : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jkdas Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 10 29th August 2016 17:08
Mahindra Xylo : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread jacs Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 31 30th May 2016 12:13
Fiat Palio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread shahmotors Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 635 9th February 2016 06:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks