Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 23rd March 2005, 00:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi GamerNo1

Look at Michelin Certis if you are on a tight budget. They are good, grippy tyres that come in all sizes for 13 inchers, 155s-175s. The compound on this tyre is softer than most other equally priced tyres. Should cost you between Rs. 2000-2100 a tyre.

Revvmaster
Revvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 00:33   #17
BHPian

even i asked for michelins, i guess not available anywhere in my area :( mostly goin for the bridgestone standard 13" for around 1550 (tubeless) 1500 (w/tube). i think tubeless is preferable, isnt it?
gamerno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 01:15   #18
Team-BHP Support

Post tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerno1
lets see shan. actually i am a bit low on budget. going to buy them tomorrow. any ideas how much will they cost(g3)? any other options to be considered? (apolo, ceat, jk)
just to let u know - i've had an excellent experience with the Apollo Amazers. have used them on 3 Marutis with no problems for years.
they have a slightly harder compound than the Michelin Certis, which gives a slightly harsher ride than the Michelins but other than that they're great in terms of wear and handling.

had a horrible experience with Ceat tyres and i wouldn't recommend them.

Michelins are excellent tires and they're only a couple of 100 bucks more than the Apollos.

never used Bridgestones but lots of people (eg. Shan2nu, Aditya, a couple of friends, etc.) are using them on their cars and they seem thoroughly satisfied.

regards,
ad
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 01:40   #19
BHPian

just to share an experience with my tubeless tyre.

I had undertaken a 2200km 10 day drive couple of weeks back. The day before i started off, i was checking my tyre pressures and noticed that the rear right had a pressure of only 22psi as against 30 on the rest. i topped up all tyres to 32psi and started off.
after about 650km, checked the pressures again and the rear right had dropped to 27psi. kept monitoring it every other day and kept topping up till i got back to base (bangalore).

After getting back, took it to a "tyre mechanic" and got it looked into. there were 2 bad looking nails in the tyre! i guess the tubeless tyres are really good from the puncture aspect.

PS - Though i was at places where i could get tubeless tyres fixed, i was sort of short on time and anyway, my spare was in excellent condition. so decided to test the tyre
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 11:23   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
After getting back, took it to a "tyre mechanic" and got it looked into. there were 2 bad looking nails in the tyre! i guess the tubeless tyres are really good from the puncture aspect.
I've had similar experience with my Acura. I was driving around with a nail in one tyre for 2-3 months, even a long trip. During that time I was filling air every week and wondering what's wrong with that tyre... The nail was later discovered during routine service.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 11:28   #21
BHPian

ok guys, i got my answer. tubeless tyres for me now will be going to get them in an hour or two.
gamerno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 12:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok guys, i got my answer. tubeless tyres for me now will be going to get them in an hour or two.
So what did you decide on? Do post a seperate first hand review of your tyres. We might have to start a new section on tyre reviews.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 13:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I've had similar experience with my Acura. I was driving around with a nail in one tyre for 2-3 months, even a long trip. During that time I was filling air every week and wondering what's wrong with that tyre... The nail was later discovered during routine service.

Ive had the same experience . I travelled for more than 330Kms - and at good speed - never did I realise that the Air pressure was too low. After reaching the destination - I got the Pressure checked - it had dropped to 5! . Filled it up and monitored for 5 hours - then went to a nearby Michellin dealer - got the Nail removed.

Amazing isnt it ? A Nail in the tyre , still speeding upto 140Km , did not feel any discomfort!.
puthari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 13:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amazing isnt it ? A Nail in the tyre , still speeding upto 140Km , did not feel any discomfort!.
As long as the nail doesn't touch any other part of the tyre or the wheel, you won't even know the diff.

It's such a relief moving on to tubeless tyres. They're so much safer and the new tyres are immune to indian conditions too. They're getting stronger, more reliable and most importantly cheaper.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd March 2005, 13:51   #25
BHPian

some of these tyre dealers will try to hard sell the alloy rims along with the tubeless tyres. that happened to my dad when he was upsizing his Baleno tyres to 185somethingR13.

The dealer hard selling is actually a good excuse to buy alloys, but not a good enough reason to not buy tubeless tyres (assuming you dont want to block your funds in the alloys).

i have run over 35,000km on tubeless tyres on esteem/ petra rims on my zen and petra. The only time i faced a real issue was while driving back from kolar in the night, i jumped a pot hole at some 120+ and bent the 13"esteem rim and lost tyre pressure in under 10 seconds. thats pretty much the only time i changed to the spare with tubeless tyres.

with an alloy if you jumped that pot hole, either nothing will happen or your rim will break!!!

another cost saving strategy you could adopt while picking up tyres is to pick up only 4 wider tubeless and the spare of the stock width in some cheaper make. But invest in a air compressor. that should keep you going on road trips, provided you dont break/ bent a rim.

if you are getting alloys, get only 4 and keep the stock rim as the spare!!! you could save quite a packet depending on the tyre & rim sizes
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 15:21   #26
BHPian

Was just wondering - are there any disadvantages of tubeless tyres over tubed ones? Everyone is talking about the advantages only.

Also, only Goodyear comes with tubeless for the original Zen tyre size (145/80R12). GSP2, I believe is the tyre. How is Goodyear compared to the competition? But considerinng the fact taht there is no other company manufacturing 12 inch tyres right now, is it advisable to go in for a 12 inch alloys?
simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 15:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
if you are getting alloys, get only 4 and keep the stock rim as the spare!!! you could save quite a packet depending on the tyre & rim sizes
Thats a good one . maybe the spare could be a Rim and a normal tyre . It does save a lot.
puthari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 17:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

the only disadvantage would be the price....but that also can be overlooked because of its benfits..!!!
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Another disadvantage is if you're living in a remote area where there isn't any qualified service station that can deal with tubeless tyres.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd March 2005, 18:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

One more disadvantage. Your tyre can't be changed by a street side guy armed with couple of steel rods. I mean replace the tyre on the wheel. You'll need a tyre changing machine.

Plugging the holes will be much faster though. Just put some tyre gum and plug the hole. No more removal of tube, no rods and no jumping on the tyre...
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote