Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 7th September 2006, 15:51   #1
BHPian

Default Tyres/Alloys for Matiz

After I realised that I won't get what the Matiz is worth, by selling it, I decided to retain it and use it as a second car.

am looking for tubeless tyres and alloys for Matiz. Visited a dealer yesterday, who suggested some rochford tyres (@ Rs.2200 per tyre) and siam alloys (10,800). He said it is better to go for size 165 instead of the current 145.

My max max budget is 20K. Any suggestions? Pls do help, as I am fairly clueless in this. And the tyres are in bad condition and I need to change them quickly.

M
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 08:52   #2
BHPian

I use 165/65/R13 Goodyear GPS 2 on mine with Traxx (now defunct) alloy wheels.As for alloys SIAM should be fine considering your budget.Try SIAM Ultrax tyres instead of that rochford thing you mentioned.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 12:55   #3

I use 155/70/R13 tubeless on the stock rims. The performance is slightly better but my shocks have gone for a toss! 165 should give u a better response. If possible stick to 70 profile as it will help in improving the cushioning..
satishfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 23:07   #4
BHPian

wasava and satish,

are you guys using those tyres on Matiz? I visited another dealer today who suggested not to go beyond 145 for Matiz, saying there is little room for broader tyres, and the tyres will touch some thing, etc. I was seriously thinking about Michelin Certis 155/70/R13 for Rs.2200

M
Old 10th September 2006, 19:45   #5
BHPian

Minardi I've been using the 165's on my car for over a year now and haven't had any issues with them touching the fender lining or bodyline.Just to convince yourself,ask the dealer to mount one and then lift it up on a 2 post or a trolley jack and turn the steering lock to lock that should give you a fair idea of the kind of room available for these tyres and you can also jounce the vehicle to make sure of other obstructions.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 11:01   #6

Even I have been using 155/70/R13 accelere for quite some time. Totally perfect. If you need more grip and slight comprimise on cushioning 165/65/R13 should also be totally fine. Alloys make more sense on a car like Matiz coz that will give u lower unsprung weight (Matiz can take up to 5.5J but 5J is advisable)

Go for tubeless (even on the stock rims as the rims are more long lasting than the competition - blackened inside for corrosion resistance) but alloys + tubeless is the best if u have some cash to spare..
satishfaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 13:43   #7
BHPian

thx for your responses satish and wasava,

if 165 is not a problem, then 155 shd not be a problem. i guess cushioning is more important than extra grip. anyway after the grip with 155+alloys will be much more than the current 145+steel rims.

it is then a question of selecting the brand. i guess, there isn't much perceptible difference between them.

M
Old 16th September 2006, 14:14   #8
BHPian

One question. My Matiz doesn't have power steering. So, I wd like to know if the steering becomes heavier with wider tyres. Or, it becomes lighter because of the alloys?

I presume, since the radius is changes, there should be no effect on the odometer/speedometer.
Old 28th May 2007, 22:00   #9
BHPian

Reviving this thread again to share my experiences. I own a Matiz, SG, 2001 model. I run on MRF ZTS 165/65 on stock rims from past two years. The performance has been quite satisfactory. Odo is now reading 47K. The handling and road grip are awesome. There is a slight drop in mileage. But it is compesated by a confident and smooth ride.

My car has power steering. Recently I had a power steering malfunction. It is hard to drive on these tyres without PS. So don't upsize to 165/65 if you don't have PS Matiz.
kshastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 09:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

i fitted Michelin XM 1's 155/65/13 tubeless on my matiz (no PS) and found the grip in wet and dry great. the ride quality is improved esp over rough surfaces. However i've found the noise much higher than my stock tubed bridgestones S 322's.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 01:16   #11
BHPian

I use 175/60/R13 on mine. They used to scrape at the rear, so I raised it by half an inch. Looks good now. Alloys are Neo. Works perfectly and looks awesome. Tyres are Potenzas.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 19:00   #12
BHPian

Hi, I know this is a very old thread,
but I was wondering if there is possibility to fit alloys of 14 inches on the Matiz? I have seen many photographs of matiz in different countries who have fitted these size alloy wheels with 195/45R14 tyres.

I have a 1999 0.8L Matiz, non-ps, non-pw, A/C.

thanks
regnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 19:16   #13
BHPian

regnex, i have no answer to your question, but a serious suggestion would be to be very careful before investing a single rupee in the car. In the last 6 months of ownership, i spent 35k to repair the car, and at the end had to sell it off on an 'as is' basis. Though the car is fantastic when it is working well, the problem is that no one has the "computer" to check the control points and diagnose when there is a problem. Sometimes even a simple problem becomes difficult to locate :(

I notice you are from Madgao, and i remember there were many Matizes in Goa during its hey days. So if you know a mechanic who knows inside out of a Matiz then it is a different story
Old 16th December 2010, 17:04   #14
BHPian

Smile Re: Tyres/Alloys for Matiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
regnex, i have no answer to your question, but a serious suggestion would be to be very careful before investing a single rupee in the car. In the last 6 months of ownership, i spent 35k to repair the car, and at the end had to sell it off on an 'as is' basis. Though the car is fantastic when it is working well, the problem is that no one has the "computer" to check the control points and diagnose when there is a problem. Sometimes even a simple problem becomes difficult to locate :(

I notice you are from Madgao, and i remember there were many Matizes in Goa during its hey days. So if you know a mechanic who knows inside out of a Matiz then it is a different story
Minardi, thanks for the advice buddy. It is indeed very true that the Matiz is a great car unless and until it starts to murmur and breaks down frequently.

I recently got hold of a 1999 Matiz as mentioned in my earlier post. The engine is good, has run 65K on the odometer and suspension,interiors and handling has no issues. the paint job is actually quiet bad. It was basically owned by an Elderly man.

I'm a hobbyist and want to try out something different on this almost extinct beauty. In other words, its a perfect car for experimenting.

My first goal is to step up the wheel by plus-one and fit 14" Alloy wheels and fit 195/45/R14 tyres. since you guys have loads of experience on how the Matiz handles and performs, i would love to have your suggestions and advice on how to go about it.

Cheers
regnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 17:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tyres/Alloys for Matiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by regnex View Post
My first goal is to step up the wheel by plus-one and fit 14" Alloy wheels and fit 195/45/R14 tyres. since you guys have loads of experience on how the Matiz handles and performs, i would love to have your suggestions and advice on how to go about it.Cheers
I have driven my 2000 non ps non pw matiz for about 50k km and now my son drives it and it is now at 70 k km. A very good matiz mechanic in bangalore has told him not to expect anything more than 90 - 100 k km.

As it is with its 800 cc 3 pot mill it is underpowered so with 195 width tires the performance would take a major toss.

Handling.. dont know.

but 45 section means 87 mm of rubber on the sidewalls your alloys would be vulnerable to pothole damage.
Like minardi says best avoid.
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote