Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 5th October 2017, 20:53   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Hi Shourya!
The 185/65/R14 tyres on my Figo 1.5TDCi are due for a change and I'm planning to go for the 195/60/R14 size like you. It's been a few months since your tyre-change. What's your feedback on the upgrade now?!
Thanks!
Hi there!
What an apt time to ask for feedback.
Right after the upgrade I was having a gala time with my car. The grip levels are far better than the stock 175/65 R14ís. Car doesnít feel strained, in fact feels better. Steering weight is up slightly, and not as much as you would expect. Only recently I faced interesting issue. On driving on the highway, I felt the steering had suddenly lost feedback, and was incredibly light, much like a hyundai. Directional stability was lost completely. Since I had done a wheel alignment just a few weeks back, I suspected the issue to be the upgraded section tires. Took the car to the service centre to get it checked, and to my amazement the reason came out to be uneven tyre pressures. 39 and 32 psi to be precise. Such a simple issue but a great effect on the EPAS. Anyway learnt a lesson, pump the tires to the current pressures, and the car is back to its glory. So moral of the story is, For accurate steering feedback on the Figo one needs to maintain the tyre pressures as well as wheel alignment Accurately. Coming to the tires in general, the 195 section offers a lot of grip and surefootedness. Braking distance will reduce and the car is excellent in sharp turns. In fact you cannot make high speed turns with just one hand steering imput, it becomes that heavy.
Itís good, Iím happy that I made this upgrade.
Feel free to ask me for any other queries.
Cheers
shourya_lahiri is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 22:05   #137
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
Hi there!
What an apt time to ask for feedback.
Right after the upgrade I was having a gala time with my car. The grip levels are far better than the stock 175/65 R14ís. Car doesnít feel strained, in fact feels better.
Feel free to ask me for any other queries.
Cheers
Thank you, Shourya for this review. I know 185/65 R14 size has been tested by many and is dependable but w.r.t. 195/60, I do have certain apprehensions - although this is what I would like to go with in a few months when I upgrade.

Can you please share your experience of braking on Slippery surfaces (aquaplaning at higher speeds?) and Gravel with wider tires? For me, braking is very important - Dry and wet. Is there a noticeable increase in turning radius?
RDS is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 09:09   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post

Can you please share your experience of braking on Slippery surfaces (aquaplaning at higher speeds?) and Gravel with wider tires? For me, braking is very important - Dry and wet. Is there a noticeable increase in turning radius?
Aquaplaning will be a property of the tyre tread and the tyre design more so than the actual width. As far as I remember the stock mrf had this issue but on these to be true ,i am careful not to reach a situation which will give rise to aquaplaning. But on wet surface, the tyres perform well. On the mrfs i had quite a few wheel lockups but on these i have had none so far.
What sort of apprehensions are you referring to actually?
shourya_lahiri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 21:07   #139
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
Aquaplaning will be a property of the tyre tread and the tyre design more so than the actual width.
What sort of apprehensions are you referring to actually?
Let us say I use Earth 1/BridgeStone B290 - what kind of performance can I expect for 175/65, 185/65, 195/60 sizes? Although I would like to settle for 195/60 but if the overall performance considering braking in wet conditions is better for 185/65, I might settle for that upgrade.
If it is the same tyre, wider tyre should impact braking performance (negatively) in wet conditions. If the tyre is designed keeping in mind wet conditions, I think 195 would be size to go. It seems Bridgestone B290 (size 195/60) might be my choice because of this.
RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 14:59   #140
BHPian

Took a picture of my Figo's alloy wheel the other day. Wheel dimensions - 14*5.5J (Just for the record )
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread-img_20171006_145715.jpg  

espraveen is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote