Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 9th March 2016, 19:52   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo / Aspire : Tyre & Wheel Upgrade Thread

Could very well be the tires that is making noise on more abrasive surfaces. Does the noise increase with speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Need your help fellow members! As mentioned in other thread, upgraded to 185/65r14 Yokohoma Earth 1 on diesel Aspire. I am fed up with the tyre noise on rough surface/ concrete road. I mentioned it when the car was up for service. They said its normal. If there would have been any problem, it would have shown up on smooth surface too. The problem is the OEM tyres were changed on the second day. So I don't have the reference.
Is it the tyres? Or is it any other problem? I've changed the tyre pressure from 34 to 32 to 30. Hardly any change in noise.
Any suggestions!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2016, 20:54   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have the Figo Aspire and changed tyres to Yoko Earth 1 right from the showroom and have covered 9000kms+ till date and I have none of the problem that your citing

Infact, my experience with tyres are very good. Ride quality has improved a lot, there is very less road noise ( none on tar road)

I maintain 30 PSI Nitrogen air on all 4 tyres.

Hope your not confusing the tyre noise with suspension noise? Since you get the noise only on rough road and patches, culprit could be either the tyre (not sure how same brand can be so different as my experience is very good) or something related to the car body (perhaps the suspension or wheels)

Take a second opinion from a different dealerships/authorized car service center other than FORD
Suspension problem so early? I mean I've observing it for a long time. Played with different tyre pressure settings, but it hardly makes any difference. Could it be related to wheel well insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Could very well be the tires that is making noise on more abrasive surfaces. Does the noise increase with speed?
It increases slightly, but it is not linear. Consider this; I'm on a smooth, freshly laid patch and I move on to slightly rough patch, and by slightly I mean really slightly. The noise is up by couple of notch. I feel better to drive it windows down , due to the noise. Else I've to raise the volume of Music player.

I've discussed it at the time of first service, the guy said it is normal. I've discussed it with the guy from Yokohama, he didn't give me any proper answer. He said the tyres look fine, there are no cuts or something else, so he can't report anything to company. He sat in passenger seat, and observed. I could see from his face that he got what I said, but didn't have any answer. He gave me some unreasonable answer like, the tyres are pretty new and should try decresing the tyre pressure by 2-3 psi.
fz_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 08:21   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
Thanks espraveen, do you feel the difference WRT steering after tyre change, does it feel heavy?
I got the tyres upgraded right after taking delivery of the car (must've driven about 5km on stock tyres). So it would be a little difficult to give a pre/post analysis steering - wise. But the new Figo's EPS is quite light & easy to manoeuvre anyway. The steering doesn't feel heavy at all with the 185 section tyres. I think it can easily handle 195 section tyres as well ( I've read that the variants sold abroad are fitted with 195/55/R15. I'm assuming Ford keeps the same suspension setup on them too!)
espraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2016, 21:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The car finally got fit with the MOMO's;

Wrapped on 195/55 Continental Max Contact 5;

Attachment 1432291

Attachment 1432292

Attachment 1432293

Attachment 1432300

Hello Karan Sir,
Excellent choice of alloys sir, i must say . The car looks completely transformed.

Sir, was just curious to know if you have noticed any errors in odometer/ speedometer readings after the tire upgrade.

Thanks in advance sir.

Regards
Car's Paradise

Last edited by Car's Paradise : 10th April 2016 at 21:46.
Car's Paradise is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 16:41   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car's Paradise View Post
Hello Karan Sir,
Excellent choice of alloys sir, i must say . The car looks completely transformed.
Sir, was just curious to know if you have noticed any errors in odometer/ speedometer readings after the tire upgrade.
Thanks in advance sir.

Thanks for your kind words & apology for the delayed response as i was traveling.

I havent really bothered checking the error in the odo/speedometer but there definitely would be an marginal error.

You will find more info about this topic on this thread here;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91402 (Tyre Upsize: Impact on Odometer / MID reading)

karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 20:14   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Need your help fellow members! As mentioned in other thread, upgraded to 185/65r14 Yokohoma Earth 1 on diesel Aspire. I am fed up with the tyre noise on rough surface/ concrete road. I mentioned it when the car was up for service. They said its normal. If there would have been any problem, it would have shown up on smooth surface too. The problem is the OEM tyres were changed on the second day. So I don't have the reference.
Is it the tyres? Or is it any other problem? I've changed the tyre pressure from 34 to 32 to 30. Hardly any change in noise.
Any suggestions!
Hello there! FZ_Rider, Although I am not as experienced as other members in this group, but still Just thought of adding one point which incidentally I saw no one coming across. Moreover since you have not experienced the stock arrangement, I am more so suspecting the cause. Firstly have you noticed? Ford-s are inherently noisy cars, before I am frowned upon its a good thing which I personally like. reason behind this is the relatively stiffly set up suspension and a more stiff monocoque, hence the better handling. So if you are moving from a softly sprung car, like the hyundai-s, you are bound to feel the difference. Also I fell all that road noise actually helps me in determining the road terrain which is brilliant. Also if you still are having that nag, I suggest you drive another figo, with the stock arrangement , maybe ask the dealer for a test drive

Cheers!
shourya_lahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 19:52   #82

I am considering swapping the tires from stock to 195/60/R14. Although this size has been mentioned quite a bit on this thread I don't see anyone here actively using them. 185/65/R14 seems to be the more preferred swap.

Any tips on my first choice? Also, is it possible to swap my stocks (<250 KM) i.e will i get any money for them? FYI I'm in Hyderabad.
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2016, 22:45   #83
BHPian

Just for shaking up this thread,
Suddenly I seem to have grown a liking for the stock alloys. They look quite smart actually, initially even I was not a fan, but now after giving it some time and observing some in life ( other than magazines) they have started appealing to me. Also for that matter the stock wheel size. People looking for an upgrade do you feel the tyres underperforming? In my case the mrf zv2k are performing quite nice. I have been raising the bar over corners andd the rubber is providing good grip levels. Another thing to consider is the increase inCG of the vehicle , in case of going for an upsize. Please note that ford is , unlike other brands, providing the same size over all variants. That might just be for a reason, is it not? I dont mean to diacourage people from upsizing,,, bhut just sharing my views. Please feel free to criticise me, especially senior people.. i wish to get these queries solved from your valuable discussions..
Cheers!
shourya_lahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 01:19   #84

Default Re: The official alloy wheel show off thread. Lets see your wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My Ecosport Trend + with MOMO alloys & Good Year Assurance

Ford Figo with new 15" alloys & s-drives

I am planning to change the stock tyres on my figo.
How are the 15" alloys on the figo?
Was actually considering 185/65 R14 ones.
And are the alloys from 3rd party vendors as/more reliable than the stock ones?
Need a suggestion on both rims and the rubber as I drive a lot on highways and ghats and the stock 175mm width doesn't seem good enough though I haven't taken it out on a proper highway drive yet.
sailukitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailukitta View Post
I am planning to change the stock tyres on my figo.
How are the 15" alloys on the figo?
Was actually considering 185/65 R14 ones.
And are the alloys from 3rd party vendors as/more reliable than the stock ones?
Need a suggestion on both rims and the rubber as I drive a lot on highways and ghats and the stock 175mm width doesn't seem good enough though I haven't taken it out on a proper highway drive yet.
I think the tyre upgrade is a "must" on the Figo TDCI as the power is way beyond what the miserly 14" wheels can handle, 14" OE tyres are inadequate if you're fast. The traction is a whole lot more after the tyre upgrade.

If you're going to be driving on highways as well, the tyres need to be upgraded. As you can see in the photo the 15" alloys make the car look way better as well !

There are many aftermarket options for the alloys - reliability is not an issue, there are many brands which would possibly be even better in quality & lighter in weight than the stock alloys

Hope that helps

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 22nd June 2016 at 09:50.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:51   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I think the tyre upgrade is a "must" on the Figo TDCI as the power is way beyond what the miserly 14" wheels can handle, 14" OE tyres are inadequate if you're fast. The traction is a whole lot more after the tyre upgrade.

If you're going to be driving on highways as well, the tyres need to be upgraded. As you can see in the photo the 15" alloys make the car look way better as well !

Hope that helps

Cheers

They sure do.And how about the width?.185/65 on a 15" rim should be good enough?
sailukitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:36   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailukitta View Post
They sure do.And how about the width?.185/65 on a 15" rim should be good enough?
Well I used 195/55/15 Yokohama S Drive. They drive very well & looks awesome too. I've been using S Drives since a long time (different cars) & have always found them worth the money.

Hope that helps !

Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 23:16   #88
BHPian

I am taking the delivery of my Figo 1.5D Titanium in 2-3 days. I am looking forward to switch to wider rubber but finding it still confusing. What would be the best tyre and profile to go for considering that I want to stick to 14 inches.
nishchal316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 00:04   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
I am taking the delivery of my Figo 1.5D Titanium in 2-3 days. I am looking forward to switch to wider rubber. What would be the best tyre and profile to go for considering that I want to stick to 14 inches.
Congratulations on your Figo.

Since you've elected to stick with the stock 14" rim size, you have the following choices of tyre size:
  • 185/60 R14 (1 cm wider, on stock rims, 1% variance)
  • 195/60 R14 (2 cm wider, on stock rims, 1% variance)
  • 185/65 R14 (1 cm wider, on stock rims, 2% variance)

Since yours is the diesel, 195 mm wide tyres will be good to put down all the power that the diesel engine puts out. If you find that too wide, you could still look at the 185 mm wide tyres.

On page 1 of this thread, I've provided links for different popular tyre brands that offer tyres in each of these sizes. Its probably best to check with your preferred tyre dealers as to which of those are available, and then pick one that best suits your needs (e.g. longevity, grip, appearance, etc.).
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 06:22   #90
BHPian

Expecting delivery of the Ford figo titanium TCDI this weekend.
Does anyone have a picture of 195 60 R 14 on stock rims. I kind of like the silver finish on stock rims. Would like to keep them as the car would be primarily used for city runs and occasional highway runs(read wide city roads as it is KL). More over roads in Cochin are like what the voyager would encounter on Mars.
sandygordon is offline   Reply With Quote