Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 27th July 2010, 10:59   #316

Default Thanks.. New tyres performing well

----> Rjstyles69.... Thanks for your post. My older Goodyear ones were Eagles NCT 5.

----> shuvc... I did move to 195/60/R14 as suggested by Samurai on one of the older threads and I am finally a happy driver of Baleno atlast. Good I decided to retain my car as I was too much confused if I should it trade it for any other cars.

Not sure if this smoothness would stay for long and I am happy even if it stays for 20k kilometres as I do Chennai - Bangalore frequently and this is one of the first trips that I kept a lot of people behind my rear wheels as it was bloody smooth on the highways... Have filled in nitrogen and the performance is amazing.

3500X4=14000 I spent for these and the only regret was the place I bought these tyres from. Its typre empire in whitefield. I made 5 trips to change the tyres because of poor customer service and bad coordination amongst their staffs. Have done 2.5k in new tyres and will update after 5k and 10k.

// Vinoth
vinothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 16:30   #317

Default 195/60/R14 after 5k Kms

is what I feel when my Baleno zooms on the NH46... 5000 kilometres done after I switched onto 195/60/R14 and the tyres are performing good and I get very good grip. There were certain high speed turns ( 110 Kmph on Highway over bridge ) I attempted gracefully with less weight and it did perform good.. Max speed on this machine is 140Kmph beyond which I dont have straight roads where I can attempt anything on the roads I drive.

There was one complaint from my Dad that the car drifted dangerously when he applied brakes on wet condition ( not heavy braking but moderate ones ) and I took this to one of the tyre chaps and he showed me the rain tread which were only two. Now the tyres are done... I am going to check on what oil I can think of... Mobil / Shell synthetic stuff....
vinothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 11:11   #318
Senior - BHPian

I need to change the tyres on my baleno..
ive been running 195/60R14 and would like to stick with the same size.my requirements are grip, comfort and life in that order..what are my options ? I dont think i want to spend 5.5k/ tyre so AD07 no matter how good they are, are out..

how are BF goodrich Gforce sport and Yokohama S drives ? have been recommeded these two..any reviews on them ?

rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 22:16   #319
Senior - BHPian

S Drives are not available in that size Rev, try either the BFG or the CPC2 if available.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 04:27   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
I need to change the tyres on my baleno..
ive been running 195/60R14 and would like to stick with the same size.my requirements are grip, comfort and life in that order..what are my options ? I dont think i want to spend 5.5k/ tyre so AD07 no matter how good they are, are out..

how are BF goodrich Gforce sport and Yokohama S drives ? have been recommeded these two..any reviews on them ?

rev
Why dont you try the Yokohama C.Drive that are even better than S.Drives in wet grip plus offer higher comfort and silence. I have tried two sizes in these , 225/60R15 in my Innova and 185/65R14 in a Friend's Honda City and find them very good.

Of course 185/65R14 is a good grippy downsize option for your Baleno (My Baleno has the same size and never felt the need for extra grip with reasonably aggressive driving) that will also be cheaper because of the higher 65 profile (lower profile > higher cost)

Also see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454 for comparitive positioning.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 5th November 2010 at 04:34.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2010, 12:43   #321
A.J

Question Baleno wheel upgrade query

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Baleno Vxi that came with 13 inch, 5 spoke Aura alloys. It's time to change the tyres and I have a couple of questions:
1) Will a 185/65 R14 tire on 14 inch alloys fit in the boot that was originally made for 13 inch 165/80 wheels? Can it be clamped securely using the existing setup?
2) Is it OK to go for four 14 inch wheels and retain the original wheel (165/80 R13 on 13 inch alloy) as spare and use it without any problems in case of one of the new tires developing an issue?
3) I know that Aura has closed down but is it possible to get the 11 spoke, 14 inch alloys that came on the 2006 Baleno Vxi (Aura D 1455)?

My ideal upgrade is five of the above mentioned alloys with 185/65 R 14 Yokohama C drives.

Thanks,
A.J
A.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 04:25   #322
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Baleno wheel upgrade query

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J View Post
1) Will a 185/65 R14 tire on 14 inch alloys fit in the boot that was originally made for 13 inch 165/80 wheels? Can it be clamped securely using the existing setup?
It will fit in across the diameter and will get secured. There will be a few mm of extra thickness that will make your boot carpet lift up. Nothing that will not settle in a few days by itself.

Quote:
2) Is it OK to go for four 14 inch wheels and retain the original wheel (165/80 R13 on 13 inch alloy) as spare and use it without any problems in case of one of the new tires developing an issue?
Buy 5 wheels, you never know when you will hit the pothole that damages one alloy wheel and now you are left with three of one design and a fourth one of another vintage. Also, while you can use the spare for limping home, hight speed driving will not be safe owing to different handling
characteristics of the 14 incher versus 13 incher.
Quote:

3) I know that Aura has closed down but is it possible to get the 11 spoke, 14 inch alloys that came on the 2006 Baleno Vxi (Aura D 1455)?
Unsure but check MASS
Quote:

My ideal upgrade is five of the above mentioned alloys with 185/65 R 14 Yokohama C drives.
Good choice. Take care of the slim sidewalls though as they are slightly more prone to cuts compared to Michelins

Last edited by Buffetfan : 11th December 2010 at 04:28.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:50   #323
A.J

Default Re: Baleno Wheel thread

Thanks Buffetfan. I've checked at quite a few places including MASS without success. I guess I shall retain the 13" alloys and just go for 185/70 Apollo Aceleres instead.
A.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 19:53   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Why dont you try the Yokohama C.Drive that are even better than S.Drives in wet grip plus offer higher comfort and silence. I have tried two sizes in these , 225/60R15 in my Innova and 185/65R14 in a Friend's Honda City and find them very good.

Of course 185/65R14 is a good grippy downsize option for your Baleno (My Baleno has the same size and never felt the need for extra grip with reasonably aggressive driving) that will also be cheaper because of the higher 65 profile (lower profile > higher cost)

Also see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454 for comparitive positioning.
i need 195 mm for my driving style..may consider 205 mm but def not down to 195mm.

primary requirement is grip and i was told the S drives were a better bet compared to C..

how much would S drives or BF goodrich cost me per tire ? 195/60R14 and lastly what speed rating are they rated at.

also are the eagle F1s worth considering ? how do they compare to the two above ?
Old 20th December 2010, 02:29   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i need 195 mm for my driving style..may consider 205 mm but def not down to 195mm.

primary requirement is grip and i was told the S drives were a better bet compared to C..

how much would S drives or BF goodrich cost me per tire ? 195/60R14 and lastly what speed rating are they rated at.

also are the eagle F1s worth considering ? how do they compare to the two above ?
A quick look at the Yokohama published chart (that I had provided in my previous post (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes))will tell that S drives have better Dry and C Drives have better wet grip. Comfort and Silence is higher in C. Drives.

My take is that if you do a lot of drive on drive dusty trails / gravel then go for S.Drives. The C. drives have a very good wet grip.

Prices - unsure

Eagle F1s - I would not consider with their noisy pattern and uneven grip through the tire life. Pls do not plan BF Goodrich either - buy Michelins from the same stable instead (Pilot Preceda?). As I have the Energy XM1 from Michelin in my Baleno, I can confirm that the C.Drives grip way better.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 20th December 2010 at 02:33.
Old 20th December 2010, 21:54   #326
Senior - BHPian

why do you say the BF goodrich arent good ? ive heard a lot of good things about them.
will check out C drives as well but i dont like the thread pattern too much and secondly im not really bothered with comfort and life..order of preference for my tires are grip, comfort, life.
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:35   #327
BHPian

Hi,

Wish you all a Happy New Year 2011 !!!

My Baleno LXI(Aug-2006) has now clocked 30K Kms on the stock tyres. The tyre condition in-terms of ply seems to be fine. My doubt is:

1. As it has been 4 years now will the tyre get hard though i has good buttons.
2. Will the braking / grip get reduced because of the number of years the tyre is old?
3. How many more Kms can I use these set of tyres safely.

I drive within the City limits only and an average of 40 Kms a day.

Thanks for the support.
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno Wheel thread-tyre.jpg  

sureshshanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:06   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bfgoodrich not worth the price at all! I have them on my car, they are noisy as hell and lock up easily! And they aren't that grippy. The ride quality is on par with the others though.Thats the only plus point .. Stay away!

Last edited by binz : 2nd January 2011 at 13:07.
binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:18   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't compare with the other 2 you have mentioned.

I've had Eagle F1s for the last 60K kms on my Baleno (195/60/14) and have had no grip issues. 35K with GSD2 and 25K running with GSD3. Admittedly I do not drive on the edge but do drive fairly quick at times. Other than the relatively higher noise levels, I've always felt very confident with them. In dry and wet conditions.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:20   #330
Senior - BHPian

Default Rubber hardening

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshshanmugam View Post
Hi,

Wish you all a Happy New Year 2011 !!!

My Baleno LXI(Aug-2006) has now clocked 30K Kms on the stock tyres. The tyre condition in-terms of ply seems to be fine. My doubt is:

1. As it has been 4 years now will the tyre get hard though i has good buttons.
2. Will the braking / grip get reduced because of the number of years the tyre is old?
3. How many more Kms can I use these set of tyres safely.

I drive within the City limits only and an average of 40 Kms a day.

Thanks for the support.
Dear Suresh,

Tyre rubber generally hardens after 3 years of use and starts developing minor cracks. It happens more so in less used rubber (as the tyre spends less time running at high temperatures). Even though the tyre might look fine from the outside, it would be prudent to change the tyres now. Otherwise grip would definitely reduce as the rubber hardens.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote