Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 3rd January 2011, 13:24   #331
BHPian

Default Re: Rubber hardening

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Dear Suresh,

Tyre rubber generally hardens after 3 years of use and starts developing minor cracks. It happens more so in less used rubber (as the tyre spends less time running at high temperatures). Even though the tyre might look fine from the outside, it would be prudent to change the tyres now. Otherwise grip would definitely reduce as the rubber hardens.
Thanks a lot Predatorwheelz. Will change those at the earliest. Considering for 14 inchers....
sureshshanmugam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2011, 09:38   #332
BHPian

Default Re: Baleno Wheel thread

Baleno shod with 195/55R15 Advan Neovas on Lenso 15X7J alloys and lowered on Konis and Kings springs. Handles like a dream. I feel this is the perfect size for the Baleno who was to make the best out of the handling this car is capable of.
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno Wheel thread-dsc_0204.jpg  

crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 16:58   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Now that's a car I would LOVE to own!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 20:36   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting this on behalf of another tbhp-ian, whose Baleno is running stock 165/80/R13 with steel rims. He is planning to move to alloys and wider tyres 185/65/R14 (closest match to stock).

He wonders if it is OK to just change the 4 running tyres and retain the stepney as 165/80/R13 ? In the event of a puncture, are there any issues in running the R13 tyre for say a few hundred kms (till puncture is fixed) with R14 tyres on other 3 wheels?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 22:29   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
He wonders if it is OK to just change the 4 running tyres and retain the stepney as 165/80/R13 ? In the event of a puncture, are there any issues in running the R13 tyre for say a few hundred kms (till puncture is fixed) with R14 tyres on other 3 wheels?
No problem if he's a bit careful during those 100kms.

185/65-14 and 195/60-14 are best upsize for Baleno.

Last edited by kpzen : 21st January 2011 at 22:30.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 05:30   #336
Senior - BHPian

195/60 R14, what are the options i have for tires ? grip, comfort(Noise) and life in that order.disregarding the advan neovas.
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:58   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
195/60 R14, what are the options i have for tires ? grip, comfort(Noise) and life in that order.disregarding the advan neovas.
revtech the most economical tires in that size has been the Accelere's. VFM, pretty hard side walls, road noise at a minimum and above all not that expensive compared to the neovas.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 11:41   #338
Senior - BHPian

should not be an issue if he drives carefully and not at high speeds. On another note, if one of the alloy wheels or tyre gets damaged, he may find it difficult to get the same design in the market. it is for this reason alone that I always change all the five tires and alloy wheels. You always have one spare.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 15:07   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
revtech the most economical tires in that size has been the Accelere's. VFM, pretty hard side walls, road noise at a minimum and above all not that expensive compared to the neovas.
how much are the acceleres for ?
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 00:47   #340
Senior - BHPian

My Baleno is now running 195/55 R15 Yokohama S-drives. The front tyres are almost worn out and seems like needs replacement. If I'm not wrong I've run them for around 35k km till now. This time I'm planning to use non-directional tires. Already have an Apollo Acceler (same profile) as a spare tyre and used only a few times. So I can probably buy 3 Accelers and use one of the rear Yoko S-drive as my stepney. Or should I just go ahead and change all the 4 tyres and keep the Acceler as the spare tyre?
Also please let me know what all options do I have for non-directional tyres in that profile? I would like to buy something with better road grip and less road noise. Was happy with the S-drives but would like to try out something different and if possibly not something costlier. Also please let me know the current approximate price of the tires of the required profile?
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 23:43   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
My Baleno is now running 195/55 R15 Yokohama S-drives. The front tyres are almost worn out and seems like needs replacement. If I'm not wrong I've run them for around 35k km till now. This time I'm planning to use non-directional tires. Already have an Apollo Acceler (same profile) as a spare tyre and used only a few times. So I can probably buy 3 Accelers and use one of the rear Yoko S-drive as my stepney. Or should I just go ahead and change all the 4 tyres and keep the Acceler as the spare tyre?
Also please let me know what all options do I have for non-directional tyres in that profile? I would like to buy something with better road grip and less road noise. Was happy with the S-drives but would like to try out something different and if possibly not something costlier. Also please let me know the current approximate price of the tires of the required profile?
If the Appollo Acceler is not too old then your cheapest upgrade is that. On the other hand, you can try Yokohama C.Drives that are asymmetric but not unidirectional and are available in this size. As a plus they are way more silent compared to S.Drive and grip better than S.Drives in the wet. S.Drive is slightly better in the dry.

can get more details

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...b-decibel.html

and a Yokohama tire possitioning map at

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2022454 (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes))

PS : I use them and find them pretty good. 22k in the Innova and they will probably do another 22 if not more.
Old 1st February 2011, 18:31   #342
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Buffetan for the reply. What is the price of 195/55/R15 C-drives? And if I have to compare the Apollo Accelers to C-drives, then how do they fair? And if I through in Michelin XM1+ (are they available in that size?) or Bridgestone Turanza's (or there is other option nowadays from bridgestone) then what would be best option (or negatives and positives) in terms of road grip (dry and wet), tyre strength and life, road noise and lastly cost?
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:46   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks Buffetan for the reply. What is the price of 195/55/R15 C-drives? And if I have to compare the Apollo Accelers to C-drives, then how do they fair? And if I through in Michelin XM1+ (are they available in that size?) or Bridgestone Turanza's (or there is other option nowadays from bridgestone) then what would be best option (or negatives and positives) in terms of road grip (dry and wet), tyre strength and life, road noise and lastly cost?
No Comment on Apollo Accelers as not used them. I currently use both XM1 and C.Drives. XM1 have better build quality and C.Drives grip better. You can get some more comments reg both on this thread in the last 2 pages

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...nge-sizes.html (Yokohama C drive (now in a wider range of sizes))

Price of Yokos is generally lower than Michelins. But dont know the current cost. I use 185/65R14 Michelin Energy Xm1 in the Baleno.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 2nd February 2011 at 15:47.
Old 2nd February 2011, 16:55   #344
Senior - BHPian

kaushik I have used the Accelere's earlier on my baleno and from my experience they are the best bang for the buck. I think the 15 inch tires retail at 4300/- or so. The tires are good enough and I suggest that you take a look at tanveer's Apollo tyre thread. Pretty strong sidewalls, road noise is minimum and not bad with the road grip too.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 2nd February 2011 at 16:57.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011, 15:22   #345
dww

The current tires on my Baleno have run about 40k kms, and are due for change. Currently running Michelin 205/55 R15s, and I have a barely used Bridgestone as spare.

I feel the ride is a little bumpy and road noise is fairly high especially at highway speeds. Would like to have good grip/braking distance and less road noise. Can anyone suggest a good set of replacement tyres for a Baleno with 15inch wheels? Can I retain the spare wheel or do I need to replace this as well?
dww is offline   Reply With Quote