Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 13th August 2011, 11:36   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Baleno Wheel thread

Friends, need your advice on new set of tyres for my Baleno ( would be 6 years this October ).. Its currently running on stock shoes and has completed 73K. This will be the first change of tyres.
Never had a reason to complain about the drive with the stocks. What options in bangalore, should I consider if I continue with the stock rims?
thanks
Haque
Haque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 15:38   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The problem is in that size not too many options are available. I think the only thing available is Maxxis MA-Z1.

I'll find out what is available and post here. Michelin XM1+ is definitely not possible in that size.
So no S-drives available in that size now? Just want to keep the options open incase I don't find tires to my requirement. BTW, can you PM me your number please?
Also, Apollo Acceler had the exact same profile tire, infact I'm having an acceler as my spare tire. I won't mind Accelers too as they are also pretty good.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:10   #363

I have a 2006 Baleno LXi and switched over to 195/60/R14 Yokohama tyres after clocking 40k on alloys. My new tyres are performing amazingly well for the last 10k kilometers... My initial tyre noise is gone and have filled nitrogen. However even with 30 as pressure set, I have seen the tyres wearing out whereby I see cracks on them. 3 of them and have been asked to replace it with a new one and use the faulty one as the backup.

Off late I have also been told that my front suspensions are gone and I need to replace them which might cost about 40 to 50k which is about 25% of the street value of the car. Could these tyres I fitted have caused the suspension problems. Also could someone tell me a good service mechanic of Baleno in Chennai where I have moved in recently.
vinothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:33   #364
Senior - BHPian

vinoth cracks on the tire means only one thing, hardened rubber. Did you check the DOT codes on the tires before you picked them up ? This sure is a potential safety hazard and good that you got them changed.

Who told you that the front suspension is gone ? What does this gone mean here and what suspension problems are you facing ?Check the Tuner directory in chennai, there should be someone who can assist you with this.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:09   #365
BHPian

Didn't get any replies in the Yoko A drives reviews thread. so posting it here:

After 2 years and 19K kms of satisfactory performance in terms of grip, comfort and noise with 0 punctures, one of the tyres on my baleno developed a small bulge.

Any suggestions from experts on how to proceed? I have kept it as spare tyre for now. Can i use it for regular running? Or use only as a spare for temporary period? All suggestions welcome.
m8002? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:21   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Any suggestions from experts on how to proceed? I have kept it as spare tyre for now. Can i use it for regular running? Or use only as a spare for temporary period? All suggestions welcome.
Bulge on the sidewall? Please replace the tyre. A tyre blowout could be a realistic outcome if you don't.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:17   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
I have kept it as spare tyre for now. Can i use it for regular running? Or use only as a spare for temporary period? All suggestions welcome.
Please don't use it for regular drives. You have done the right thing by keeping it as a spare.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:40   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinothkc View Post

Off late I have also been told that my front suspensions are gone and I need to replace them which might cost about 40 to 50k which is about 25% of the street value of the car. Could these tyres I fitted have caused the suspension problems. Also could someone tell me a good service mechanic of Baleno in Chennai where I have moved in recently.
Suspension gone? I would say, run-away from that mechanic whoever have told you this and get a second opinion somewhere else (or even third). I'm sure that the mechanic is trying to short-change you. At only around 40k kms running Suspension is bit going to go anywhere as that mechanic is making out it to be.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:46   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Bulge on the sidewall? Please replace the tyre. A tyre blowout could be a realistic outcome if you don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Please don't use it for regular drives. You have done the right thing by keeping it as a spare.
Thanks guys. Planning to use it as a spare and use the other 4 for rotation.
m8002? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:08   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
vinoth cracks on the tire means only one thing, hardened rubber. Did you check the DOT codes on the tires before you picked them up ? This sure is a potential safety hazard and good that you got them changed.

Who told you that the front suspension is gone ? What does this gone mean here and what suspension problems are you facing ?Check the Tuner directory in chennai, there should be someone who can assist you with this.
He is a small mechanic in Chennai called "Easvari Motors" in Anna Nagar Chennai. I wasn't sure as I am no car expert and asked him to hold that part and do the general servicing. I made this decision when he said three wheel bearings went off as well. I had just changed wheel bearings after uneven tyre wear at Bangalore UM Cars. I am taking the car to Bangalore tomorrow to ensure it gets everything from its family doctor. Worth it...

With regards to the tyre I am not sure about the DOT code and did not check those. I used typre pressure of 30 to 32 Psi and after reading some thread I guess I need to reduce that to about 27 to 28...
Old 24th August 2011, 08:05   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He is a small mechanic in Chennai called "Easvari Motors" in Anna Nagar Chennai. I wasn't sure as I am no car expert and asked him to hold that part and do the general servicing. I made this decision when he said three wheel bearings went off as well. I had just changed wheel bearings after uneven tyre wear at Bangalore UM Cars. I am taking the car to Bangalore tomorrow to ensure it gets everything from its family doctor. Worth it...
Three wheel bearings gone for toss,you sure he dint pull off a quick one with you ? I find it hard to believe coz I know of a baleno run 80k plus and no issues what so ever with the wheel bearing. Ideally if its gone bad when the car is jacked up on all fours there should be some play and you might even hear a clunk sound when you try to shake/rotate the wheel.

Did you get a chance to look at the replaced bearings at all ? Visual inspection is good enough coz if the bearing has gone bad you can see chipping, flat spots etc on the rollers.

Quote:
With regards to the tyre I am not sure about the DOT code and did not check those. I used typre pressure of 30 to 32 Psi and after reading some thread I guess I need to reduce that to about 27 to 28...
30 psi is good enuf and stick to it. If you are in bangalore send me a PM, lemme see if I can help you.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 09:16   #372
BHPian

Hi Vinothkc, I too think that you need a second opinion. Unless your car has been abused and driven extremely roughly, there's no way the Baleno suspension will need replacing at 40k. I used mine until 60k (when I sold the car) and the suspension was as good as new.
Wheel bearing issue also needs another look. It's possible the wheel bearings you changed earlier were spurious ones, that's the only thing I can think of that would require a new set of bearings within 10k km.

After getting a second opinion, please stick to genuine spares, and you can't go wrong.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 15:39   #373
BHPian

Quote:

Hey..I have been to Ignite garage on ECR, Chennai and Torque Garage on OMR recently. Both the places have received good reviews from T-BHP members and I myself found the service good in both places..Last month when I was in Ignite, I have seen 2 Balenos there..If you want to check it out, you can get the contacts and detaila in our Chennai Directory section.
singleton is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 17:43   #374
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are referring to the service centre on the shanthi colony, Please stay away from them, they are not professional at all.

MY baleno which has run 58k is having a bad suspension as per my feel of the ride quality but my mechanic says it is all rite & could go on for another 20k.

I stay nearby shanthi colony, We can sync up, swap our rides to see if there is a problem. D-bhpian supremebaleno stays at choolaimedu, he owns a baleno too & would be able to comment on this.
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:39   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I think you are referring to the service centre on the shanthi colony, Please stay away from them, they are not professional at all.

MY baleno which has run 58k is having a bad suspension as per my feel of the ride quality but my mechanic says it is all rite & could go on for another 20k.

I stay nearby shanthi colony, We can sync up, swap our rides to see if there is a problem. D-bhpian supremebaleno stays at choolaimedu, he owns a baleno too & would be able to comment on this.
Thanks for your note. Sure will do so. Email me your details to vinothkc@gmail.com. Got some work in Bangalore and brought my car here as I was servicing here while I stayed here for the last 7 yrs. Also checking my wheel bearings which the service centre in chennai said it has gone bad which was just replaced last year.

Hopefully its sorted. //Vinoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Hi Vinothkc, I too think that you need a second opinion. Unless your car has been abused and driven extremely roughly, there's no way the Baleno suspension will need replacing at 40k. I used mine until 60k (when I sold the car) and the suspension was as good as new.
Wheel bearing issue also needs another look. It's possible the wheel bearings you changed earlier were spurious ones, that's the only thing I can think of that would require a new set of bearings within 10k km.

After getting a second opinion, please stick to genuine spares, and you can't go wrong.
Thanks for that info. I did change it in an authorized service centre in Bangalore @ UM Cars who do reasonably a good job. Will do a check for sure...