Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 29th November 2011, 10:06   #376

Default Re: Baleno Wheel thread

Friends - Somebody please let me know if the ANHC steel rims (15'') would suit/fit a Baleno along with Pros and Cons (if any). Also, the best tyre size for those rims.
Thanks in advance!
$niper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 10:52   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

It would fit but you cant think of fitting sizes like 205/50-15, etc as the rim is too narrow. I think maximum you can go is 195/55-15. But even that might be too wide. The 15" steel rims on the ANHC are quite narrow. I think they are only 5j. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 10:57   #378
Team-BHP Support

Nikhil is right, I think.

The stock steel wheels on the City can accommodate a maximum of 185 section tyres, I presume. The stock size is 175/65, as far as I know. If you want to upgrade your tyres, it might not be the best idea.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 11:44   #379

Thanks for the quick response guys. I am currently running stock rims on my car with tyres done close to 40K kms (change required shortly), I am thinking if buying ANHC stock rims and adding 185 section tyres would be a good idea rather than spending around 40K for a decent set of alloys and tyres. Please advise
Old 29th November 2011, 12:15   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $niper View Post
Friends - Somebody please let me know if the ANHC steel rims (15'') would suit/fit a Baleno along with Pros and Cons (if any). Also, the best tyre size for those rims.
Thanks in advance!
Should go along with no problems since both share the same PCD which is 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It would fit but you cant think of fitting sizes like 205/50-15, etc as the rim is too narrow. I think maximum you can go is 195/55-15. But even that might be too wide. The 15" steel rims on the ANHC are quite narrow. I think they are only 5j. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Nikhil is right, I think.

The stock steel wheels on the City can accommodate a maximum of 185 section tyres, I presume. The stock size is 175/65, as far as I know. If you want to upgrade your tyres, it might not be the best idea.
The stock wheel width is 5.5J and stock tire size is 175/65/R15.

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response guys. I am currently running stock rims on my car with tyres done close to 40K kms (change required shortly), I am thinking if buying ANHC stock rims and adding 185 section tyres would be a good idea rather than spending around 40K for a decent set of alloys and tyres. Please advise
So lets say you pick up these stock rims which has a width of 5.5J, the upsize for the baleno in the 15 inch category would be 195/55/R15. Else your options are 185/55/15 or 185/65/R15. BTW both of these aren't the right up-sizes for the baleno, do consider speedo error is you go with these sizes.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 12:33   #381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Tubeless tyres work best with alloy-wheels, as per my understanding.

So if you're willing to spend a little extra, I suggest you go in for alloy wheels. A good set of wheels and tyres are likely to set you back by 30k-40k, but you might consider it to be worth it. It's your call.

Just for the record, Alloys have no 'real' advantage over steel-wheels, in the real World, other than aesthetics. They do reduce un-sprung weight and will make the car handle better, albeit negligibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The stock wheel width is 5.5J and stock tire size is 175/65/R15.
So what do you suggest should be the best tyre size for a 15" steel wheel of width 5.5j, Sir?
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 13:10   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

For 5.5j, you can go upto a maximum of 195 section tyres. So, 195/55-15 is a good size.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 14:58   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So what do you suggest should be the best tyre size for a 15" steel wheel of width 5.5j, Sir?
nikhil beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
For 5.5j, you can go upto a maximum of 195 section tyres. So, 195/55-15 is a good size.
thanks nikhil 195/55/R15 is a safe bet.

To the OP see if you can source the Corolla's alloys. Perfect for a baleno in terms of up-sizing to 15 inchers.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 15:07   #384

Hi rjstyles - Thank you for your inputs, I am aware that 195/55/R15 is the correct upsize for a Baleno. However, I might not keep my car for more than a year (plan to buy a SUV) and not sure if spending 40K+ on alloys & tyres is logical. I still need to change the tyres shortly as the current ones came with the car in 2006 and needs to be changed, so considering this scenario is it advisable to go for the ANHC rims (3-4K) and new tires in 185/55/15 or 185/65/R15 instead of changing the tyres on the stock rims?
I look forward to your response and inputs......

P.S. I know that you have used the Baleno extensively and upgraded to an SUV which is what even I intend to do..
Old 29th November 2011, 15:33   #385

Hi rjstyles - Thank you for your inputs.

I am aware that 195/55/R15 is the correct upsize for a Baleno. However, I might not keep my car for more than a year (plan to buy an SUV) and not sure if spending 40K+ on alloys & tyres is logical. I still need to change the tyres shortly as the current ones came with the car in 2006 and needs to be changed, so considering this scenario is it advisable to go for the ANHC rims (3-4K) and new tires in 195/55/R15 as suggested by Nikhil instead of changing the tyres on the stock rims?
I look forward to your responses and inputs......
Old 1st December 2011, 09:33   #386
Senior - BHPian

$niper,

If you are planning to sell the car soon, I don't see a point in spending 40k on wheels.

Better to stick with stock size or upgrade to 185s.

If you want 15" only, then try sourcing Etios/ Liva alloys from some tire store.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2011, 21:36   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Three wheel bearings gone for toss,you sure he dint pull off a quick one with you ? I find it hard to believe coz I know of a baleno run 80k plus and no issues what so ever with the wheel bearing. Ideally if its gone bad when the car is jacked up on all fours there should be some play and you might even hear a clunk sound when you try to shake/rotate the wheel.
Did you get a chance to look at the replaced bearings at all ? Visual inspection is good enough coz if the bearing has gone bad you can see chipping, flat spots etc on the rollers.
30 psi is good enuf and stick to it. If you are in bangalore send me a PM, lemme see if I can help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Suspension gone? I would say, run-away from that mechanic whoever have told you this and get a second opinion somewhere else (or even third). I'm sure that the mechanic is trying to short-change you. At only around 40k kms running Suspension is bit going to go anywhere as that mechanic is making out it to be.
Wanted to let you know once I replaced the 2 numbers of front "Lower Arm" parts with a spend of about 16k, the issue is sorted. The suspensions, as per the technician are strong and intact. Thanks for your views...
vinothkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 20:00   #388
BHPian

Hi Guys. I want to upgrade my stock Baleno tyres with stock size again(165/80 R13). Don't want to upgrade since I'm pretty happy with them and don't believe in fixing what isn't broken.

The problem is that out of the original five tyres (spare included), 3 are breathing their last, one (spare) is near new and one has about 15k of life left. I plan to buy only 2 stock sized and replacing the 2 worst worn ones. So for the price of two stock tyres I have a set of 4 very respectable ones.

Questions:
1. Is it advisable to mix two old ones with two new? (The current set is nearly 7 yrs old, all five of them)
2. Where in Pune (Aundh/Baner area) can I find a trusted tyre seller?
3. What would 165/80 R13s cost me (any decent brand)?

Mucho gracias in advance.
sonic_boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 00:52   #389
Senior - BHPian

I may sound strange in an enthusiast's forums but I believe enthusiasm does not always = fun but having and sharing knowledge too I am looking to get some knowledge on downsizing my Baleno's front tires. What is possible to be shod on the 14" alloys that came along with the VXi, without compromising much on the ground clearance? Why I am thinking of downsizing is that I may gain some ease to steer and also save a few bucks over the cost, if downsizing does not affect the suspension. I'm not stubborn on downsizing and I don't mind getting beaten if I am thinking stupid, but please enlighten me on this topic.

Else, I am looking for OEM size budget hard compound tires, as I am past tasting the fun-factor with the Baleno. I don't do much highway and high speeds. Why I am thinking of harder compound is because of a recent side wall crack (Crack on the sidewall of Tyre). My town is filled with many potholes and I doubt softer compounds not to last long. I am unaware of the cost difference between brands.

If by any of the possibilities above, I could lay hands to 2 tires within a budget, I am changing both the tires on the front. Otherwise I will stick to a single Potenza on the front, retaining the other 3 Potenzas.

Leaving aside unsafe tires, my overall priorities are -
longevity>budget>ground clearance>comfort>fun

Last edited by thoma : 15th September 2012 at 01:03.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 07:10   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
What is possible to be shod on the 14" alloys that came along with the VXi, without compromising much on the ground clearance?

Else, I am looking for OEM size budget hard compound tires
Your Baleno must be shod with 185/60 R14s. 2 suggestions. If you want to downsize yet retain the 14" alloys, go in for 175/65 R14 Goodyear Duraplus tyres. These are long-lasting, tough tyres made for the commercial segment in mind. Will definitely satisfy your yardstick of longevity.

If you still want higher profile, you may also go in for the 165/80 R13s that the original Baleno came shod with. Replace your alloys with 5 13" steel wheels to save on cost off new alloys. Duraplus is available in this size, so is one product under the JK umbrella. Infinitely lasting AND budget gumboot tyres!

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 15th September 2012 at 07:12. Reason: Added info
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote