Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Old 15th September 2012, 10:18   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Baleno Wheel thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I may sound strange in an enthusiast's forums but I believe enthusiasm does not always = fun but having and sharing knowledge too I am looking to get some knowledge on downsizing my Baleno's front tires. What is possible to be shod on the 14" alloys that came along with the VXi, without compromising much on the ground clearance? Why I am thinking of downsizing is that I may gain some ease to steer and also save a few bucks over the cost, if downsizing does not affect the suspension. I'm not stubborn on downsizing and I don't mind getting beaten if I am thinking stupid, but please enlighten me on this topic.
Leaving aside unsafe tires, my overall priorities are -
longevity>budget>ground clearance>comfort>fun
You have two options
1. Get 185/65-14 goodyear duraplus or some grey market tires like Kumho/ Hankook.
2. Get steel rims and 165/80-13 tires (Stock lxi size).

Above two would be the solution for longevity, budget and comfort.
Ground clearance would always be a problem that you have to live with a Baleno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Your Baleno must be shod with 185/60 R14s. 2 suggestions. If you want to downsize yet retain the 14" alloys, go in for 175/65 R14 Goodyear Duraplus tyres. These are long-lasting, tough tyres made for the commercial segment in mind. Will definitely satisfy your yardstick of longevity.

If you still want higher profile, you may also go in for the 165/80 R13s that the original Baleno came shod with. Replace your alloys with 5 13" steel wheels to save on cost off new alloys. Duraplus is available in this size, so is one product under the JK umbrella. Infinitely lasting AND budget gumboot tyres!
Stock size was 185/65-14 so 175/65-14 would be too small for Baleno.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 16:29   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Your Baleno must be shod with 185/60 R14s. 2 suggestions. If you want to downsize yet retain the 14" alloys, go in for 175/65 R14 Goodyear Duraplus tyres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
You have two options
1. Get 185/65-14 goodyear duraplus or some grey market tires like Kumho/ Hankook.
2. Get steel rims and 165/80-13 tires (Stock lxi size).
Thanks predatorwheelz and kpzen. My stock tires are 185/60 R14. I would like to stick with the current 14" alloys.

Out of curiosity I wanted to know if the 175/65 R14 is too small, is 175/70 R14 a good choice on the 14" alloys? But I guess it will look too odd with the rear tires being 185/60 and front ones being a downsize, right?

Going by the image put up on the Goodyear site, it seems the Duraplus is unidirectional. Is it okay if I persist with one Potenza GIII on the front left and another brand (unidirectional or otherwise) at the front right? Any idea how much the Duraplus will cost? Any good budget tires from the Apollo and MRF stables?

One another clarification. How are we guys at Team-BHP rotating uni-directional tires? Do we take them off the wheels and put them on another wheel of the opposite side for every 5000 km tire rotation?
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2012, 22:27   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks predatorwheelz and kpzen. My stock tires are 185/60 R14. I would like to stick with the current 14" alloys.

Out of curiosity I wanted to know if the 175/65 R14 is too small, is 175/70 R14 a good choice on the 14" alloys? But I guess it will look too odd with the rear tires being 185/60 and front ones being a downsize, right?
Now KPzen also knows the stock tyres are 185/60 R14.. Anyway, 175/70 will create an almost 4pct difference in circumference width, while 175/65 keeps it to 1pct. As a thumbrule you should not vary the circumference width by more than 2pct, so stick to 65 profile.

And please don't run different sized tyres on your car. Please change all 4 tyres to the same size.

Quote:
One another clarification. How are we guys at Team-BHP rotating uni-directional tires? Do we take them off the wheels and put them on another wheel of the opposite side for every 5000 km tire rotation?
No. Unidirectional tires have a one-way tread pattern, so they are always rotated from front to back.

Quote:
Going by the image put up on the Goodyear site, it seems the Duraplus is unidirectional. Is it okay if I persist with one Potenza GIII on the front left and another brand (unidirectional or otherwise) at the front right? Any idea how much the Duraplus will cost? Any good budget tires from the Apollo and MRF stables?
Duraplus is not unidirectional. If you still want cheaper option, try out the JK gumboots.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 01:20   #394
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how you have 185/60/14 'stock' size tyres. End 2005 onwards, VXi's came shod with 185/65/14s.

I have rotated my unidirectional F1s in both ways. Only front and back on the same side. Also taken the tyre off the alloys and swapped them between left and right.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012, 09:57   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Not sure how you have 185/60/14 'stock' size tyres. End 2005 onwards, VXi's came shod with 185/65/14s.

I have rotated my unidirectional F1s in both ways. Only front and back on the same side. Also taken the tyre off the alloys and swapped them between left and right.
Oops! That was a typo. The stocks are indeed 185/65R14 for the VXi. Thanks for pointing out. I was also wondering what predatorwheelz meant by

Quote:
Now KPzen also knows the stock tyres are 185/60 R14.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 23:27   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oops! That was a typo. The stocks are indeed 185/65R14 for the VXi. Thanks for pointing out. I was also wondering what predatorwheelz meant by
Just buy the AMAZER 3G MAXX Tubeless 185/65R14 tires..should be around INR 3600 or so per piece..T rated so speed limit on 190 kmph should be fine with you.

Alternative is 175/70R14 with ACELERE Tubeless Size : P 175/70R 14 84H . This should be INR 3100 or so per tire.

Finally, for the adventurous, the MRF ZVTV Tubeless Size : P 165/70R 14 might also work..cheapest of the lot at INR 2900 or so though this will work better if the other tires are a bit worn out already (maybe 10k old or more)

Sidewall heights are

165/70---115.5 mm
185/65---120.25 mm
175/70----122.5 mm

you can get tire options at http://changemytyre.com/

For regular use, I would keep the size same and purchase the 185/65. For use as a spare / temp tire, the 165/70 will do fine too

Last edited by Buffetfan : 17th September 2012 at 23:29.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 01:15   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post
1. Is it advisable to mix two old ones with two new? (The current set is nearly 7 yrs old, all five of them)
2. Where in Pune (Aundh/Baner area) can I find a trusted tyre seller?
3. What would 165/80 R13s cost me (any decent brand)?

Mucho gracias in advance.
it is not advisable to keep 7 year old tires in operation as the rubber has already lived its useful life, would have hardened by now and can fail on the highway. Pls change ALL the tires and if possible, purchase the tubeless variety. Practice 5 tire rotation in the future so that the tires wear out evenly.
BTW the tube type Apollo Amazer XL 165/80 R13 - T Rated tire would be close to INR 2850 / piece or so I guess.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 11:38   #398
BHPian

Bumping this.. Need to change the tyres soon. Have some queries. Request your help in replacing the tyres.

- Does it make sense to go for Tubeless tyres on stock lxi stell rim.
- What are the options available to me in tubeless & tube.
- What would be a good place in Bangalore to get it done.. would like to avoid south bangalore ( stay in yelahanka & hence would prefer north or central areas )
- Not particular about budget, but dont want to spend for something that I dont really need or use.

Usage : Light on the pedal, clocked 85k on stock over 7 years . Havent had any problem so far with stock setup. Hope to keep the ride for another couple of years. Predominantly city ride ( on weekends ) & a mysore trip once in a quarter.

Appreciate any help

-Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Friends, need your advice on new set of tyres for my Baleno ( would be 6 years this October ).. Its currently running on stock shoes and has completed 73K. This will be the first change of tyres.
Never had a reason to complain about the drive with the stocks. What options in bangalore, should I consider if I continue with the stock rims?
thanks
Haque
Haque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 12:57   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Bumping this.. Need to change the tyres soon. Have some queries. Request your help in replacing the tyres.

- Does it make sense to go for Tubeless tyres on stock lxi stell rim.
- What are the options available to me in tubeless & tube.
- What would be a good place in Bangalore to get it done.. would like to avoid south bangalore ( stay in yelahanka & hence would prefer north or central areas )
- Not particular about budget, but dont want to spend for something that I dont really need or use.

Usage : Light on the pedal, clocked 85k on stock over 7 years . Havent had any problem so far with stock setup. Hope to keep the ride for another couple of years. Predominantly city ride ( on weekends ) & a mysore trip once in a quarter.

Appreciate any help

-Haque
- Absolutely no problems running tubeless tires on stock rims.

- Limited options in the 13 category depends on your budget. My advice anything other than the Bridgestone S322's should be good. That doesnt mean, Jk's /MRF's and their likes should be tried. You could try other options from BS/YOKO's/Michelins et all.

- New BEL road, has two dealers for Bridgestone. One is on 80feet road near MS Ramaiah hospital side, contact person is Venkatesh and the other one is next to the HP bunk on New BEL road called Shiva tires contact person Anil. Try and avoid this place if possible.

Follow the same 80 feet road towards the other end and at the entrance of Sanjaynagar there is this new tire store. Cant recall the name, has alloys on the 1st floor for display.

Check the bangalore directory for installers and tire dealers in the city on the forum. Will help you call multiple dealers and get price quotes.

- Prices hover arnd 3k for 13 inchers.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 13:31   #400
Senior - BHPian

Haque

Go for 185/70-13 tubeless tires on steel rims. No problem whatsoever.
Yoko A drives, Michelin XM and Bridgestone Turanza ER60 are the best options available. Choose as per your budget permits.

Couple of good tire dealers on New BEL road as suggested by Riju.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 13:41   #401
Team-BHP Support

Haque

7-year old stock steel wheels are bound to have some rust on it. Rusted steel wheels + tubeless tires don't gel too well. It could result in leaks. If there is minimal rust, you could get it removed by using sand-paper. Otherwise, I'd suggest you to stick to tube-type tires. For more on this, ask Nikhilb2008. He is your man.

If you intend on keeping the Baleno for some time, I'd suggest you to get a set of clean steel-wheels and then mount tubeless tires on them. Procuring 4 steel wheels (sparingly used) wouldn't be too expensive. If you've got the $$$, get alloys and wrap them with tubeless rubber.

I would not recommend tubeless tires on old steel wheels unless they are not rusted.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 13:52   #402
BHPian

Thanks for the quick responses. Will keep your inputs in mind, when I go shopping tomorrow.

Need to also get new clothes for the seats.. planning a visit to JC Road or Reliance Autozone on double-road tomorrow...

I had a budget of arnd 22-25k for the tyres...looks like I shall be saving good amount of it.
Old 29th December 2012, 21:14   #403
BHPian

Finally got a new set of shoes ( including the spare ).
Now my Baleno rides on Michelin XM2 - 185/65-R14, on a new set of 14" Swift steel rims.
Got the rims from Nema Auto & Tyres from Madhus. ( Thanks Nikhil ).
Total damage : 30k+ .
Old 15th January 2013, 11:53   #404
BHPian

Hi All,

Will Hyundai 2012 Verna 1.6 SX alloys can be used for 2005 Baleno Lxi?

Is it a direct fit or any modifications to be done?

Baleno is currently running with 165/80 R13 and Verna is running with 195/55 R16. The tyre size calculator says the difference is dia is 4.5%, Is this okay?
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 19:07   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp View Post
Hi All,

Will Hyundai 2012 Verna 1.6 SX alloys can be used for 2005 Baleno Lxi?

Is it a direct fit or any modifications to be done?

Baleno is currently running with 165/80 R13 and Verna is running with 195/55 R16. The tyre size calculator says the difference is dia is 4.5%, Is this okay?
The Verna probably has 4 hole, 100 pcd wheels? The alloys should fit. But 4.5% is beyond acceptable limits. You'll need 195/50/16 or 205/50/16 tyres.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote